Intel P4 550 3.4 ghz Idles at 50 Degrees celcuis?

Locovin128

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have a intel P4 550 that idles around 50 celts and when i play some CS: Source it jumps to around 65 celts. Is this normal Temp? If it isn't what can i do? I have stock HS and fan. Do i need a Zalman or Thermaltake? Any help would be appreciated......

I'm not an Intel expert, but 65C seems dangerously hot. I wonder if your CPU is throttling to save itself from self-destruction. Intel processors run hot, but I suspect that you have either a thermal paste/heatsink/fan issue or a case ventilation issue.

Keep in mind the the processor is the hottest component in your computer. It transfers heat to a thermal compound which transfers to the heat sink and all of its fins, which is transferred to the air, and then (hopefully) away from the processor and out of the case.

Processor ---> Thermal compound ---> Heatsink ---> Air inside the case ---> Outside of the case

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I wouldn't exactly call that normal but it's not that high either. It it's a socket 775, chances are, the hsf isn't seated right. I would check it to make sure it's firmly planted on the motherboard and seated tight against the processor.

Zalman makes an awesome air cooler. If you wanna go that route, I would suggest it. It would certainly help.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I guess the other question is.. how long have you had the system?

If you just noticed this, your HSF may be dirty with dust bunnies that don't exactly help with cooling.

Most HSF that are stock that came with the CPU, usually does the job correctly. Only times you really need a 3rd party HSF is OC'ing.

I have a intel P4 550 that idles around 50 celts and when i play some CS: Source it jumps to around 65 celts. Is this normal Temp? If it isn't what can i do? I have stock HS and fan. Do i need a Zalman or Thermaltake? Any help would be appreciated......

51*c? thats a prescott for you, and especially the earlier revisions.

65*c wont kill it iv seen thunderbirds run that idlle for years, but its prolly best not to.

cathudog

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hi there I am new to this forum always was a member of web sit but never posted but just for my 2 cents I have a P-4 630 3.0 gig socket 775 and I would read all about the heat problems with the Prescotts, so i got the Zalman 9500 cooler lapped the surface perfectly smooth and used artic silver and low and behold it idels at 29c and under full load 41 c is the max I have been able to get it up to ,so all the work on the heatsink and what everelse must of did it for me. I was very happy to see it running so cool. System is overclocked 10 percent to a 3.3 gig . Asus Probe to measure temps and the bios are just about the same.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Get a new cooler ! Stock coolers from Intel are good for celerons only... I have a 640 P4 OC to 3.8 , with zalman CNPS 7700 Cu , and runs 45 Celsius when playing doom 3 ( 32 C idle) .... so if U can afford and MB permit... get a 7700 or a new 9550 ( I prefer 7700 as it helps to cool down MB components as well).

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
that's quite normal temps i have seen p4 start in iddle from 55 and more i just recently installed 2 machines with p4 at 3.2 with the same mobos and everything 2 twin systems and one just in idle started at 41 and the other went up to 51/54 wich is strange i think it depends on the chip itself. strange intel glitches.

Locovin128

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I just went to the store and bought some artic clean and artic silver 5. I am going to reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps, if not, i am just going to go for the Zalman 7700 and blow a few bucks :)

that's quite normal temps i have seen p4 start in iddle from 55 and more i just recently installed 2 machines with p4 at 3.2 with the same mobos and everything 2 twin systems and one just in idle started at 41 and the other went up to 51/54 wich is strange i think it depends on the chip itself. strange intel glitches.

prolly the thermal pad not seated right or not settled yet or even the hsf not seated right.

on the other hand my P4c idles at 45 and loads at 65 (POS) - the hsf remains cold tho and im using AS5 (second replacement incase there was issues with the last) - i got a dud if anythin.