CPU HELP; AMD w/ DDR vs. Intel w/DDR2

abassillo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I personally have no preference when it comes to AMD or Intel, I am just looking for the best system to meet my needs. I am currently researching to build a new mid range gaming computer. Primarily used to play WOW but some FPS games as well.

I've been told by friends AMD is the way to go, but the only reason I haven't thrown out the idea of Intel is because they offer DDR2 compatible motherboards. Is the sacrafise of giving up some proccessor power worth the benifit of DDR2? or Is the benifit between DDR and DDR2 insignificant between the two, and pure CPU power is the way to decide?

My other question is about dual core technology both in AMD and Intel. Is it worth it currently? I know there is promise of future benifits to gaming, but right now do I get anything out of dual core for gaming like WOW or should I stick with a better single core chip?

With my budget I am looking at...

for AMD either the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester or the Athlon 64 3800+ Venice

for Intel either the Pentium D 920 Presler or Pentium 4 651 Cedar Mill

Any help would be great!

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I personally have no preference when it comes to AMD or Intel, I am just looking for the best system to meet my needs. I am currently researching to build a new mid range gaming computer. Primarily used to play WOW but some FPS games as well.

I've been told by friends AMD is the way to go, but the only reason I haven't thrown out the idea of Intel is because they offer DDR2 compatible motherboards. Is the sacrafise of giving up some proccessor power worth the benifit of DDR2? or Is the benifit between DDR and DDR2 insignificant between the two, and pure CPU power is the way to decide?

My other question is about dual core technology both in AMD and Intel. Is it worth it currently? I know there is promise of future benifits to gaming, but right now do I get anything out of dual core for gaming like WOW or should I stick with a better single core chip?

With my budget I am looking at...

for AMD either the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester or the Athlon 64 3800+ Venice

for Intel either the Pentium D 920 Presler or Pentium 4 651 Cedar Mill

Any help would be great!

For "NOW" AMD is the way to go untill we see what Intels conroe can do from a thrid party non-biased tester's benchmarks!( Conroe not released yet ) Back to subject....I would go for the 3700 over the 3800 because its got more cache and is a little cheaper.
Dual core, in my opinion is going to be nessasary not to far down the road, for games and apps. Most chip makers are pushing their dual core products, so software makers are seeing this and have already started makeing games and apps multi-threaded although their only a few, but the rest will follow soon. I recommend a socket 939 opteron 165 dual core. Their just a few bucks more than a X2 3800, and you get a chip that is made for a more streesful enviroment ( high-end workstations and servers) and its got more cache, that and they Overclock like mad...( not saying your going to Overclock )

DDR vs DDR2 well there are draw backs and benifits here.
DDR= lower latency( quicker response time ) Lower FSB capabilty 200-300(draw back) or just a little more depending on type of DDR ram. For those that overclock go for DDR 500, 550, 600 these have a higher Freq or higher FSB. There for if you have a proc that has a locked mulitiplyer ( like most do ) the only way to overclock is to raise the FSB.
DDR2= higher latency ( slower response time ) but has a much larger bandwith or higher FSB, DDR2 667 -1033 I beleave ( benifit )
Intel has already made use of DDR2, AMD will use it with the release of the AM2, so both companines have or are makeing the switch to DDR2. DDR3 down the road. In any case they will improve on DDR2 latency, makeing faster...of course its down the road..but not far!

Giving up on processing power would only hender you for now!
If you built a system now with good quality stuff it will last you 2 to 3 years before your ready to update again, by then the new Intel's and AMD's will have a better provein platforms and better DDR2, plus with the heat of between the 2 chip makers everyone will benifit with lower prices and such.

If I have missed anything I'm sure others will correct me ( nicely I hope )
But I think I'm on target here. SO sir I wish you the best with your build.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have a dual core D950 and it is one sweet chip. I game, video edit on it, watch TV & movies and usually do these things all at the same time. It laughs at everything I can dish out at it. :wink:

I would definately shoot for the D series and dual core is not widely accepted right now in programs and games but, it's getting there. Dual core is the way to go.

I run as Asus board with DDR2-667 Ram 2G, and it's blazing fast.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
If you are building a gaming computer a single core AMD chip is the way to go. The 920D is far too slow unless the game is multithreaded. jokersgrin already mentioned it but the A64 3700+ would be the best solution for you if you only play WOW. You'll save money over all the other chips and get better gaming performance. Use the extra cash to get a better graphics card. It'll be much more worthwhile in the end.