Sign in with
Your question

AMD+RAMBUS = BETTER SPEED?

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2006 7:42:29 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060103080240...

It seems after Intel had the deal with Rambus they were unsuccessful.

Now AMD`s up to the challenge but can it can it support RAMBUS and sustain better performance than DDR2?

More about : amd rambus speed

March 16, 2006 9:40:27 PM

This article and topic has been discussed here before. I suggest you do a forum search. Take a look at the date too... this news is almost 3 months old.

-mpjesse
March 17, 2006 12:00:23 AM

Better speed sounds retarded. Are they dealing speed now?
Related resources
March 17, 2006 12:07:55 AM

Yes they are dealing speed. I saw an AMD guy on the corner selling it and uh ... Oh wait, wrong type of speed. :oops: 
March 17, 2006 12:11:43 AM

Well it'd be better then any speed intel would deal :p 
March 17, 2006 2:02:33 AM

RAMBUS was notorious for high latencies, which effect the performance greatly.

Memory speed isn't the issue that's holding AMD back at the moment, unlike Intel. AMD needs faster processor speeds.
March 17, 2006 12:49:28 PM

no i think Z-RAM and ECC RAMS will benifit them on the truf wars more than RAMBUS. because RAMBUS was what Intel proposed to adopt. And AMD was full fledged supporter of the now famous DDR Family.
March 19, 2006 12:12:07 AM

For some reason ive always been partial to RDRAM, ever since my first P4 I always thought it was the coolest stuff.... perhaps there is potential with amd? Im looking forward to this :) 
March 19, 2006 3:05:29 AM

:roll: Damn Fanboy blog.........
March 19, 2006 3:14:26 AM

Uhmm... I don't think AMD bought a licence to purchase RDRAM DIMMs.
It appears they have purchased licencing that will allow them to produce memory, memory controllers and/or other associated products.
Perhaps they have a PCIx controller in mind? Maybe a torpedo for the Itanic?
March 19, 2006 3:23:49 AM

Who said AMD bought licenses to make RDRAM? Did you mean to reply to Brandons? That would be complete madness now that RDRAM is dead on the PC.

What they bought were the licenses to support XDR & DDR2 in their memory controllers. Allegedly the bought some PCI-E technologies as well. The thing is AMD hasn't confirmed any of it. All they acknowledged was a tech deal with Rambus.

The real issue here is DDR2. Rambus has a claim to fame on some DDR2 technologies. I'm not sure where the patent battle is right now, but I think AMD wanted to err on the side of caution just in case Rambus wins the latest DDR2 patent lawsuit. In the whole scheme of things, $75 million isn't a whole lot of money to AMD; especially when you consider how much they might save if Rambus's DDR2 patents hold up. And god knows Rambus needs it... I originially stated this deal was retarded. But it's beginning to make more sense.

We all know how letigious Rambus is.

-mpjesse
March 19, 2006 3:38:54 AM

I would hope that the patents don't hold up simply because everything Rambus gets their maingey fingers into goes up in price. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to hijack the ddr2 market and turn it into another Rambus ram fiasco. 256mb=$80.00
March 19, 2006 3:51:29 AM

It's possible I suppose. I haven't heard anything on the DDR2 case in a long, long time. It might have been thrown out by now.

Rambus really needs to focus on re-developing its relationships w/ chip makers. They already have an excellent and powerful relationship w/ Sony. I think now they're trying to get in good w/ AMD. If they can get into AMD they'll do good. Rambus doesn't really care what Infineon, Hynix, Samsung or Micron thinks (nor should they). At the end of the day, AMD and Intel are the ones who really control the direction of 80% of the world's RAM. ATI and nVidia control the rest.

Samsung, Hynix, Micron, etc just make RAM. Those clowns don't do much in the way of memory innovation. The only thing they've managed to do w/ DDR is make it consume less energy/voltage (which generally translates to higher possible clock speeds). If you really think about it, DDR hasn't really changed and its been around forever now. And DDR tech was effectively ripped off from Rambus. There are dozen better solutions (bandwidth and latency wise) than DDR. I for one wouldn't be sad to see it go...

-mpjesse
March 19, 2006 4:23:06 AM

What would be a better solution?
March 19, 2006 5:11:59 AM

Wasnt clear, I liked the rambus technology.. didnt like the company :D 

I hate the prices of rdram right now, i find there pretty outrageous.
March 19, 2006 5:17:10 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if they are considering XDR for Socket F, and keeping DDR2 for Socket AM2, etc

The throughput per pin on XDR surpasses everything else on the market, including GDDR3/4.

With an equal number of pins nothing can touch it, it basically becomes less 'memory' and more 'cache' (of sorts).

In a 4/8-way (4 socket) system, the aggregate memory throughput (25.6 GB/sec) is on par with most cache solutions anyway.

AMD Direct Connect Architecture (their multi socket platforms), HyperTransport, and XDR all belong together. Look at how HyperTransport works in detail, and then look at how XDR works in detail.... they really do complement each other as technologies. (Not that I support RAMBUS management, they are just idiots, but their XDR technology is good).

They may end up going with FB-DIMMs, or Registered DDR2 though, just for 'end of the day' price / performance reasons.
March 19, 2006 5:19:08 AM

DDR2 is made by more people and is sold in greater quantities then XDR. I can't see them having anything to do with it.
March 19, 2006 6:59:16 AM

...Unless it's for the small-in-numbers, big-in-profits high-end server market. It makes sense: cheap mainstream stuff for Athlons and 1xx Opterons and XDR for the 2xx+/FX line.
March 19, 2006 7:07:16 AM

Would it be worth the effort?
March 19, 2006 8:17:15 AM

It would be a good move from a marketing point of view, but whether or not a worthy performance boost would happen... I'm really not the person to ask.

I speculate that something like that will happen, though. A small, professional, market is willing to pay premium for a little extra performance and things like co-processors and 'high-end' memory architectures is probably a good way to get that little extra performance.

Kind of like the middle ground between companies like Sun and x86.
March 19, 2006 8:22:05 AM

The changes required to the memory controller probably wouldn't be worth the minor performance increase.

Does XDR ECC or anything like that?
March 19, 2006 9:34:42 AM

Quote:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060103080240...

It seems after Intel had the deal with Rambus they were unsuccessful.

Now AMD`s up to the challenge but can it can it support RAMBUS and sustain better performance than DDR2?

I think AMD and Rambus deal is about the memory controller integrated.
Rambus has the patents, then AMD "should" buy it. And Rambus may can provide low latency technology for AMD.
March 19, 2006 11:11:44 AM

XDR has a ridiculous thoroughput compared to anything on the market. I don't think the peformance difference would be minor. Rambus also has other RAM technologies far beyond what's available right now. XDR2 for example is able to run at 8Ghz

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20050707202...
March 19, 2006 7:03:43 PM

Well they didn't get the biggest increase in speed with DDR2.
!