OS Install Question

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When you guys install the OS do you have to install MS-DOS? I'm talking about WIN98/ME/2000...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks! So I'm right...cuz my friend told me that I don't have to install DOS before I install the OS and I tried to do that but it didn't work...so I just did it my way, which is the right way, of installing DOS and then OS...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Never heard sucha thing :eek:) hehe
DOS is an OS for that matter too.
So you are installing OS over OS if you are doing it that way. DOS is installed with Win9x during "OS" installation, cos "OS" you are trying to install based on DOS (Disk OS, the other OS), so when you installing DOS and then "OS" the other "OS" overwrites DOSs "OS" with its own updated DOS "OS". In conclusion: I never heard you can install WinME over DOS, but even if you do, you will only looze 15 minutes for DOS installation before you install "OS". So not big deal, hehe

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Ummmmmm...sorry about that, I was just being facetious. I should have answered your question properly.

Windows 98 and Windows ME (known here as Nintendo Entertainment System 98/Me) is just a shell on Ms-Dos. It might be an 'updated' Ms-Dos (7.0, 7.2, 7.5, 8.0), but it's still just Ms-Dos.

There's no reason, and it's probably counter-productive in the end, for you to install Ms-Dos 6.22 before installing Nes95/98/98se/Me. If you don't have a 'boot' disk for Nes98, then you can make one once you have the operating system loaded. It's the best way to go because you have absolutely no residual files. You can use a single floppy, the install cd, and a completely blank partition.

Now, don't throw away your 6.22 dos disks. You'll find (with Moslo/at-slow) that your old games will still run, and run fairly well, with ms-dos 6.x. Qemm8.0 still gets me 620+ Kb free when I get everything loaded high.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your friend was right.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok...so when we first loaded the fresh installed OS we have to use the boot disk to boot up the system right??...if so, i was a moron then...thanks guys!