Sign in with
Your question

Not feeling quite confident about Paypal and eBay

Last response: in Systems

Do you feel confident about buying on eBay?

Total: 27 votes

• Not at all
  • 19 %
  • Pretty much so
  • 41 %
  • Yes, totally
  • 41 %
March 16, 2006 11:16:21 PM

I live in Canada and wish to buy some new components for my PC, namely a new video card, some RAM and a PSU. Having realised how cheaper all these sweeties sell on eBay.ca, I have been forcing myself psychologically into thinking that such kind of transaction is safe and reliable, but even the thought of playing The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion with perfect frame rate hasn't completly corrupted my conservative mind... yet.

So I am asking you to help. Do you have an account on Paypal? Are you satisfied? are there secret monthly fees? What makes eBay a reliable place to buy?

Convince me, please.
March 16, 2006 11:48:09 PM

I would keep away from ebay if I were you. It's ok for selling stuff but too much negative experience has a buyer ( bad product, bad shipping, etc... ). Check in your local classified ad... The price for used stuff is higher in classified ad but you can bargain it and you can check it beffer buying it.

Ben
March 16, 2006 11:58:29 PM

Quote:
I would keep away from ebay if I were you. It's ok for selling stuff but too much negative experience has a buyer ( bad product, bad shipping, etc... ). Check in your local classified ad... The price for used stuff is higher in classified ad but you can bargain it and you can check it beffer buying it.

Ben
What do you mean by "local classified ad"?
March 17, 2006 12:00:59 AM

Used eBay for six years, over 100 transactions, no serious problems with either them or Paypal but getting to know the system before trying it helps.
Generally sellers with lots of feedback and 99% positive are OK and will actually RMA better than internet vendors. It's getting hard to tell the difference really. Private parties are another matter, read the advert carefully and watch shipping and hidden charges.
When I buy important components I use Newegg, Zipzoomfly and the other better known vendors. You pay a little more but you can rest easier.
March 17, 2006 12:19:38 AM

I've used ebay and paypal for a bunch of stuff lately. They give you, the buyer, several ways to dispute an auction, etc. As woodchuk said, stay away from the sellers who have low feedback scores and a low number of feedbacks left.

I'm not sure how paypal protection would work over the border though, so you might want to double check on that.

I'm wary of using it for pc components. If you don't want to worry, go through well known internet vendors with a good RMA policy. They usually have refurb'd.
March 17, 2006 12:28:26 AM

Quote:
I live in Canada and wish to buy some new components for my PC, namely a new video card, some RAM and a PSU. Having realised how cheaper all these sweeties sell on eBay.ca, I have been forcing myself psychologically into thinking that such kind of transaction is safe and reliable, but even the thought of playing The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion with perfect frame rate hasn't completly corrupted my conservative mind... yet. So I am asking you to help. Do you have an account on Paypal? Are you satisfied? are there secret monthly fees? What makes eBay a reliable place to buy? Convince me, please.

Been buying and selling off of EBay for a few years now...feedback is key and an indicator if the seller or buyer can be trusted...of course, be realistic about what your buying...I've had my share of good and bad, even got duped a couple times, but mostly good experiences with sellers delivering what was advertised...am actually waiting for a new case to be delivered for my next build...although recently, EBay has become populated by more and more commercial sellers than private auctions, have found the same item at newegg, tigerdirect, or zipzoomfly for less than or equal to what it sells for by a commercial EBay seller...paypal is secure and reliable, if a real concern, link it to a VISA or MASTERCARD with buyer protection, paypal is also aggresive with tracking down dead beats and facilitating refunds, no secret monthly fees...one other thing about paypal is that they are being accepted by more and more online retailers, like zipzoomfly, and just makes online transactions/purchase easier to complete...overall, I'd say EBay and paypal are worthy of my continued support and business and would recommend using them.
March 17, 2006 12:53:51 AM

I would echo a lot of the comments above.

I too have been on ebay for years, mostly with pretty positive results, however I would certainly opt to purchase high end system components at newegg, zipzoomfly, monarch, mwave and other decent internet vendors.

I always do my research before selecting a vendor, and check http://www.resellerratings.com/, http://www.pricegrabber.com/, http://froogle.google.com/, http://www.epinions.com/, etc

While it is possible to find good deals, the vast majority of major components on ebay are overpriced or have outrageous shipping.

If you want to build a reliable system I would advise you to select quality over price.

For a gaming system I would suggest:

AMD64 socket 939

DFI, ASUS, Epox, Abit, MSI or other quality nForce4 socket 939 motherboard

Corsair, OCZ or Crucial 184pin PC3200+ DDR SDRAM

nVidia 7600GT / 7900GT or ATI X1900 depending on your budget

Antec, OCZ, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, FSP group / Fortron quality PSU

Any decent case with good airflow - you can compromise a bit on your case as long as you get a quality PSU!

WD [ WD2500KS ], Seagate 7200.9 or Hitachi SATA HDD ( s ) 250GB drives have the best cost / GB @ $0.37/GB other capacities are more expensive.

Plextor, LiteOn, BenQ, NEC, Toshiba, Sony or similar optical drive ( Plextor is the best ).

17" 8 or 12ms 1280x1024 high contrast LCD.

SB Audigy or M-Audio sound card

Logitech or similar quality optical mouse

any kind of keyboard you like

Good luck :-D
March 17, 2006 5:15:09 AM

I agree with the others. I've been using eBay since...1999 I believe. I was in my first photography class in high school and wanted something better than I could afford locally. I ended up buying a Canon Eos Rebel something. It was actually from a Canadian. I remeber getting a hall pass first period and going down to the PC/internet lab in the library to make sure I won the auction.

Just make sure the seller has feedback as close to perfect as possible (check the history to see what the problem was). Some people try to "rape" you on shipping, like charging $20 for a $5 item that you know costs $2.50 to ship.

Oh, and if you like magazines, subscriptions are dirt cheap on eBay.

Edit- I've been using PayPal nearly as long and I've never had a problem. The only downside if you do sell stuff online and someone uses a credit card to pay you (vs. bank account/debit) PayPal charges your account 3% of the total payment. So you can eat it or charge your customer +3%.
March 17, 2006 9:23:30 AM

I find eBay fine, as long as you check feedback etc and something is not too good to be true it is generally genuine. However for expensive items in the hundreds I do prefer to go to an online retailer.
March 17, 2006 2:10:11 PM

Personally, I never buy from e-bay unless I absolutely must. I've heard too many horror stories, and don't really trust it no matter what the reviewers say. I only go that route if I cannot get it somewhere else, even if that means buying it where it may cost more.

Not everyone may agree with my way of thinking however, and ultimately you need to decide for yourself. That is only with e-bay though. I use paypal when I buy from other sites and don't have any problems with it at all. Hope this helps.
March 17, 2006 2:29:18 PM

The point is I found a couple X800XLs selling for about 200$CAN or lower on eBay.ca, from a guy that has like 15000 transactions and a rating of 99.4% or so. The cards are new; they come with the original manufacturer's warranty; Paypal gives their "free buyer protection" for this seller; and the seller himself seems to have a good return policy.

I'm just wondering if that's too good to be true. On a retail store, I wouldn't pay a bit more; I would pay a LOT more. This card is hard to find and sells for 400$CAN on major retailers such as tigerdirect.ca, sohodiffusion.com, ncix.com. For 200$CAN in a retail store, the best deal you get is the 6600GT, including the taxes, handling and shipping. And the X800XL totally owns the 6600GT.

I talked to many people about eBay, and here is the general pattern I have found: people who don't use it say it's not reliable; people who use it a lot say it's ok as long as you're careful about the vendors.
I would say the correct reasoning on the matter is to trust those who actually use the thing. What do you think?
March 17, 2006 3:34:14 PM

Do you have a link to one of the auctions or that seller's ebay store?

Thank you
March 17, 2006 3:45:05 PM

This deal sounds genuine since the price of video cards varies widely anyway, the same card at Newegg is over a hundred more at Walmart, supposedly the cheapest. If you are still unsure contact the vendor and ask some pointed questions, such as why are they so cheap from him. I've always suspected the price of those cards are inflated artificially since there is a ready market for cutting edge.
March 17, 2006 6:29:45 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link to one of the auctions or that seller's ebay store?

Thank you
Right now he is not putting any one out for bidding, but he sells one at the fixed price of 207$CAN (180$US), which is still a VERY good deal: AGP X800XL by ATI for 207$ wtf 8O . (Don't buy it it's mine! :lol:  )
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2006 8:00:09 PM

I've used eBay and Paypal for years. My experiences are similar to the positive ones already recounted, and I've taken the suggested precautions. I've been stiffed once or twice buying stuff, but even one of those may settle out just fine.
Do check the shipping, especially from Europe and the Orient. Stuff coming out of Hong Kong (and even parts of the UK) often have very high shipping charges. I suspect this is because of actions by parasites (i.e. Government non-producers) in those countries or intermediates, rather than dishonest vendors.
I mostly buy smaller stuff like flashlights for my collection, books, or gadgets. I don't think I'd buy critical stuff on eBay like computer parts for a new top-end rig. For that, I prefer the peace of mind (and potential warranty service) of a place like NewEgg, that also knows how to ship that hard drive or circuit board properly.
As far as fraud and identity theft are concerned, I'm not worried about PayPal. I'm glad that more places take it.
March 17, 2006 8:23:09 PM

I used to be confident about EBay ... enthusiastic even. But this past six months, I've been scammed four times. I recovered my money only once.

What used to be a pretty honest user community is slowly being taken over by those who are in it to grab and run. And it is no problem (I don't know how) to generate almost 100 positive feedbacks and still be a crook, getting ready to spring the trap.

In two cases, PayPal simply said they could not help and my money was lost. In one case PayPal helped me recover. The other time, I didn't bother. The guy took my money and "dropped" out of the eBay community.

Sad to say, but eBay is changing for the worse and they don't seem to be able to do a thing to protect customers. After being a member for years and making hundreds of purchases, I am now strongly considering dropping out myself. As I type this I am being scammed ... they took my money and didn't deliver anything I paid for.

I am still trying to decide if filing another complaint with PayPal is worth the effort of if I should just give the whole thing up.

BUT, up until a few months ago, I'd have given you an entirely different assessment.

If you risk it ... hey good luck.
March 17, 2006 9:18:44 PM

I am a canuck and have used it to buy thinks. It is an auctions which instantly means buyer beware. Only thing i have had trouble with is i bought a pair of Oakley's and they were fake so i reported him to paypal and got half my money back which was what a fake pair of oakley's should cost. Look at the sellers feedback. Other wise try either www.tigerdirect.ca or www.frontierpc.com both have fast shipping, good prices and ship from inside canada (tiger from ontario i belive and frontier from vancouver)
March 20, 2006 8:49:31 PM

Quote:
I used to be confident about EBay ... enthusiastic even. But this past six months, I've been scammed four times. I recovered my money only once.

What used to be a pretty honest user community is slowly being taken over by those who are in it to grab and run. And it is no problem (I don't know how) to generate almost 100 positive feedbacks and still be a crook, getting ready to spring the trap.

kda's right, the positive feedback is easy to generate, so typically what I do is look at the people who have left feedback. If its 50 comments on the same person, yeah, i try to avoid them. If they cheat on feedback, they'll have no qualms about cheating you.
Even with that, I tend to avoid out of country sellers as well.

Remember if its too good to be true, then there's probably something wrong with it. :p 
March 20, 2006 9:19:20 PM

Nobly makes some more good points about feedback. May I add that you should actually click on the item number (usually on the feedback line) that generated the feedback(s) and check its value.

In the seller has 55 good feedbacks, but all are for $1 to $5 items and they are now trying to sell you an expensive item (like a video card or printer, etc.), then this should be suspect and possibly a setup or trap.

Just don't expect e-Bay to be policing the auctions for you. They seem to watch auctions only to the extent necessary to protect themselves from being a party to selling blatantly illegal items (cocaine, etc.) and control foul language. EBay is not going to protect you ... the ultimate user of eBay.

FINAL THOUGHTS On FEEDBACK. If you get defrauded by a seller ... think twice about leaving negative feedback. If you do, you stand a good chance that the crook will retaliate against you by leaving bad feedback for you (more fraud) to get even with you and discourage you from this practice. EBay will up the crook's lies without question and you have no way to get that false feedback removed.

So the end result is you lost your money and your reputation. You get "burned" twice.

Are we having fun yet?
!