Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help. Comp is not working after CPU upgrade!! Please HELP!

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 16, 2006 11:46:00 PM

I just switched out my Athlon 64 3000+ for a new 3700+ I bought off of ebay. When I started up my comp, I get absolutely nothing on the screen and my video card fan stays at high speed, where as when I usually start it up, It slows down after a few seconds. (I have the Radeon x850xt pe)

I thought the new CPU was to blame, so I took it out and clean the Artic Silver off of the heat sink and cpu with isopropyl alcohol and reinstalled my old cpu...Same problem, blank screen.

Did I somehow fry my motherboard or something? I'm so pissed right now.
Someone please help. :x
March 17, 2006 12:14:05 AM

Try clearing the cmos
March 17, 2006 1:24:55 AM

Quote:
I just switched out my Athlon 64 3000+ for a new 3700+ I bought off of ebay. When I started up my comp, I get absolutely nothing on the screen and my video card fan stays at high speed, where as when I usually start it up, It slows down after a few seconds. (I have the Radeon x850xt pe)

I thought the new CPU was to blame, so I took it out and clean the Artic Silver off of the heat sink and cpu with isopropyl alcohol and reinstalled my old cpu...Same problem, blank screen.

Did I somehow fry my motherboard or something? I'm so pissed right now.
Someone please help. :x




DId you ground yourself and unplug the power cord before you touched anything?

After you were done did you plug everything back in the same way?

Did you forget to plug in the CPU fan header or the +12V PWR connector?

Unplug the power cord and let the machine sit for a few minutes then CLEAR the CMOS plug it back in and try again.

Ground yourself and reseat your memory and all your cards.

If that doesn't work remove everything from the system except the CPU and see if your board beeps.

Then start putting one component back in at a time.



What are your full specs by the way????
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2006 2:00:28 AM

ouch.

first, check ALL your power cables going to mobo, make sure everythings plugged in correctly.
make sure the heaksink is fully mounted on the CPU
test your PSU (short the green wire with any black on the 24 or 20 pin connector, press the power button does the psu turn on?)
check the PSU voltages
Clear your CMOS
switch out the GFX card
all else fails, unplug everything and take out the motherboard battery...let sit for 1 day, plug it all back in and power it up.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2006 2:17:00 AM

Quote:
I just switched out my Athlon 64 3000+ for a new 3700+ I bought off of ebay. When I started up my comp, I get absolutely nothing on the screen and my video card fan stays at high speed, where as when I usually start it up, It slows down after a few seconds. (I have the Radeon x850xt pe)

I thought the new CPU was to blame, so I took it out and clean the Artic Silver off of the heat sink and cpu with isopropyl alcohol and reinstalled my old cpu...Same problem, blank screen.

Did I somehow fry my motherboard or something? I'm so pissed right now.
Someone please help. :x


bought off ebay? you sure its not a dud sold to you?

bios update? your 3000 might have been a 130nm vs your new 90nm cpu?
March 17, 2006 3:39:39 AM

Thanks guys, but I fixed it after calling Asus tech support. It was a grounding issue. I took my mother board out and ran it outside the computer case and it worked. The tech told me to put electrical tape on the mb mounting posts and I did just that. It seems to be working so far! :D 
March 17, 2006 12:19:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, but I fixed it after calling Asus tech support. It was a grounding issue. I took my mother board out and ran it outside the computer case and it worked. The tech told me to put electrical tape on the mb mounting posts and I did just that. It seems to be working so far! :D 



Does it work with the 3700+ ?

What were the chip markings?
March 17, 2006 2:17:24 PM

Yes it does work. What markings are you referring to?
March 17, 2006 3:37:29 PM

Quote:
Yes it does work. What markings are you referring to?



The chip markings printed / laser engraved on the CPU heat spreader.

March 17, 2006 4:08:55 PM

Oh, well it's a little late for that. The chip is already installed. :p 
March 17, 2006 4:20:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, well it's a little late for that. The chip is already installed. :p 


Never mind then.

As long as it's working and it really is a 3700+ it's all good :-D
!