Nortel VPN and Banner Text

Hi,
I'm using the Nortel VPN Client version V05_01.100 (I have used
older ones). The problem is that when I log on it sits at the
'Checking for Banner Text...' then it times out. Here's the strange
thing I have my old Win98 PC on the same router/cable modem and that
works fine, V04_60.51. I tried to install the client on a laptop with
win98 and I have the same timeout problem. I have a cheap CompUSA
router right now but I have had this problem with a Microsoft router
and a Linksys router. This last thing on this old PC and I would
really like to shutdown. My PC with the problem is winxp home and has
other VPN clients working fine (Cisco, Microsoft, Sonic Wall and a
couple others). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David

daviddnv@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using the Nortel VPN Client version V05_01.100 (I have used
> older ones). The problem is that when I log on it sits at the
> 'Checking for Banner Text...' then it times out. Here's the strange
> thing I have my old Win98 PC on the same router/cable modem and that
> works fine, V04_60.51. I tried to install the client on a laptop with
> win98 and I have the same timeout problem. I have a cheap CompUSA
> router right now but I have had this problem with a Microsoft router
> and a Linksys router. This last thing on this old PC and I would
> really like to shutdown. My PC with the problem is winxp home and has
> other VPN clients working fine (Cisco, Microsoft, Sonic Wall and a
> couple others). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> David

What you describe can be a NAT issue.

The clients works OK thru NAT (network address translation, which I
assume your router does), so long as only 1 client is using the external
IP address.

Try this:

Disconnect the "old PC' from the network, reboot the router, give the
laptop the "old PC's" IP and see if it works. I bet it does.

Well... I gave this a try and I have the same results. I tried it on
the other 98 pc and the xp home pc. I'm thinking it's in the
configuration of the client but there is not much to it. It looks like
it all setup the same.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David

One more thing with this. I connect my XP Home pc right to the cable
modem and I still get the same results. It times out at the 'Checking
for Banner Text...'. So, it must be in my setup? Any help?
Thanks,
David

tweety

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005

daviddnv@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using the Nortel VPN Client version V05_01.100 (I have used
> older ones). The problem is that when I log on it sits at the
> 'Checking for Banner Text...' then it times out. Here's the strange
> thing I have my old Win98 PC on the same router/cable modem and that
> works fine, V04_60.51. I tried to install the client on a laptop with
> win98 and I have the same timeout problem. I have a cheap CompUSA
> router right now but I have had this problem with a Microsoft router
> and a Linksys router. This last thing on this old PC and I would
> really like to shutdown. My PC with the problem is winxp home and has
> other VPN clients working fine (Cisco, Microsoft, Sonic Wall and a
> couple others). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> David

It's probably your firewall that is bloking the network. I had the same
problem. To make it work, the vpn network address where you connect
has to be in the thrusted zone (I use zone alarm) and the vpn program
has to have all the access as a client and server.

Good lock

I've had this happen on XP Pro and it was the result of the Norton
Antivirus Internet Worm Protection being on. This is a firewall.
You'll need to go turn it off in order for the VPN to connect
successfully....