bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Is the Dot method (a small dot and use the heat sink to spread it) better than using a more normal spreading method? I spread it on, but now I'm worried that I may have used a bit too much.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Is the Dot method (a small dot and use the heat sink to spread it) better than using a more normal spreading method? I spread it on, but now I'm worried that I may have used a bit too much.

I like to spead with a razorblade. Seems most accurate to me.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That is a interesting question.

I even thought about it, after a couple of weeks using it.

depends on the size of the core, or if it is covered by that cap.

I think the dot, then dropping the HS on is the best method for cores with the cap over them. P4 or newer AMD.

I say that since its more concentrated above the core. Spreading it around may make the particals be spread out uneven.

Though, for the other cores without a cap, then you have to spread it over the core. Only thing bad is not having a thin layer, and it gushes over the edges when the HS is put on. So some heat get trapped on the sides of the core. To where on a cap, as long as it is centered right, should do the best job.

linux_0

Splendid

If you have to use AS5 make sure you remove the thermal pad first.

If you have a thermal pad you do not really need AS5 - it might lower your temps by 1 or 2 degrees on a good day.

You can use a credit card to spread it around in a thin layer.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I use the dot method for all my heatsinks.
The problem is AS5 is so thick so you really have to push&twist the HSF down against the CPU until you can feel the 'grind'(metal touches metal).

BTW, do not use the grind method on a bare core chip! :lol:
Yup, that's what I did. I probably could push it down a bit more, but it was pretty far down when I finaly got it.

temps were identical to before, but since it hasn't "set" yet, it should get better over the next few days.