Paging file for second hard drive

Office Depot has 80 gig hard drives on sale for $30 after rebate this
week, which I figured is pretty good. New drive is formatting as we
speak, but what should I do for a paging file? I.e., how should I set
it and what kind/size should I use for FS? Am using Windows XP Pro and
have 1 gig of RAM.

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:31:02 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

>Office Depot has 80 gig hard drives on sale for $30 after rebate this
>week, which I figured is pretty good. New drive is formatting as we
>speak, but what should I do for a paging file? I.e., how should I set
>it and what kind/size should I use for FS? Am using Windows XP Pro and
>have 1 gig of RAM.

Let Windows manage the size by all means, this is not 9x any more.
Simply tell it to create the page file on the new drive via the system
properties/advanced tab, then you can delete the old one on the system
drive if needed. Then don't forget to set an offline defragmentation
for both drives and reboot ;-)

===
Best Regards
Katy

Best choice:

On your system drive, set the paging file to 2-80 (min-max). On the other
drive, (independent of the first), set the paging file to be managed by
Windows.

When you only have one drive, let Windows manage it. It also doesn't do any
good to move the file to a different partition on the same drive.

courtney sends....

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1117747858.29701@forums.simradar.com...
> Office Depot has 80 gig hard drives on sale for $30 after rebate this
> week, which I figured is pretty good. New drive is formatting as we
> speak, but what should I do for a paging file? I.e., how should I set
> it and what kind/size should I use for FS? Am using Windows XP Pro and
> have 1 gig of RAM.

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1117747858.29701@forums.simradar.com...
> Office Depot has 80 gig hard drives on sale for $30 after rebate this
> week, which I figured is pretty good. New drive is formatting as we
> speak, but what should I do for a paging file? I.e., how should I set
> it and what kind/size should I use for FS? Am using Windows XP Pro and
> have 1 gig of RAM.

General rule is one and a half times the size of your ram...

Chris