Its been 3 years and I'm ready to shell it out..

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
So I basically have the same PC as I did 3 years ago. I used to play a lot of WoW and my system has not been cutting it with 10 fps in raids. The only things upgraded were adding a 512 stick of DDR and a gForce 6600gt over the MX420. My current processor is an AMD Athlon 1700+, I have 2 100gb old ATA WD HDDs, a 380 watt Antec PSU, a Highpoint PCI RAID card (mobo has no onboard RAID chip), and a MSI KT400 mobo (really old). I pretty much wanted to go with top of the line everything. When I mean everything not just the tower, but I also need new peripherals such as a monitor, speakers, printer, etc.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=1866279

I was also wanting to add a Prometeia cooling setup to it:

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Modified%20Cases/se=Prometeia/mp=menu_search.html

This is what I came up with. I am thinking maybe the FX60 is a little too extreme and maybe I should go down to a AMD64 4800+ Toledo. But when I look at the price I have already I figure whats an extra $400? :p

Another thing I am concerned with is the case I chose. I really want something that looks unique (I do love dragons), also provides good cooling, doesn't jam everything within 1mm is a plus, and is lightweight (not like my current antec steel case). If you have any recommendations for a different case, I would be very open to it (must be black).

btw, do I need registered RAM for the FX60?

Am I just crazy or are there other ppl on these forums that spend as much as I do? Should I buy a 2nd car instead? 8O

UPDATE: Upgraded to a Samsung 24" widescreen monitor and switched from Prometeia to a Swiftech water cooling kit. Still looking for some better case recommendations.

"btw, do I need registered RAM for the FX60? "

No....

As for Prometia cooling....

The FX60 will likely top out near 2.9G, and I'd be surprised if Prometia set-up will net it much more than 100-200 additional MHz for it's cost, resulting in perhaps a 1-2 frame per second improvement at high res (1600x1200) in most games, which hardly seems worth it...

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
"
As for Prometia cooling....

The FX60 will likely top out near 2.9G

Do you speak from personal experience? Why would I not be able to push the FX60 closer to say, 3.5-3.9 GHz??

Also, anyone have any better case recommendations?

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I see you have the SB Audigy 2 ZS in there. It's a good card, but I'd rather go with the X-Fi line of cards. They're all well worth it. Also, since you want to get an SLI motherboard, why not get two 7900 GTs instead of one 7900 GTX? It would only cost maybe $50 more. SLI is really useful for newer games. For example, you might not see that much of a difference in F.E.A.R. between two GTs and one GTX, but in a year or two the SLI set-up will be really beneficial, getting 50%+ better fps. Also, for around $800-$900, you could get the 24" Dell 2405 widescreen monitor. I think the max resolution on that is like 1920x1200, and ever since I got my widescreen monitor (a mere 20"), I could never think of going back. True, many games don't have widescreen support, but many of the new titles do, such as CoD 2, HL2, etc. I think in a few years all games will include widescreen support. Even with the ones that don't, you can very easily set the monitor to an "aspect" ratio instead of a "fill" ratio. Therefore, a game at 1280x1024 will have a black bar on either side, and you can still play it in fullscreen (or you can have it set to the "fill" ratio, and the image will be stretched). I've never heard anyone wanting to go back to fullscreen ever.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I am a big fan of the Tai-Chi case... It's big and beafy...

And the water cooling solution in it would be more than enough to clock an FX-60 to 2.9 ish... (and it would save you an A$$load of cash.)

which is about where they top out, unless you are using a liquid gas coolant.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I see you have the SB Audigy 2 ZS in there. It's a good card, but I'd rather go with the X-Fi line of cards. They're all well worth it.

You know, I really don't care all too much about sound cards in all honesty. If it sounds good and supports 7 channels, why do I need anything else? I guess I would actually have to hear the difference to be sold on needing a really expensive sound card.

Also, since you want to get an SLI motherboard, why not get two 7900 GTs instead of one 7900 GTX? It would only cost maybe $50 more. SLI is really useful for newer games. For example, you might not see that much of a difference in F.E.A.R. between two GTs and one GTX, but in a year or two the SLI set-up will be really beneficial, getting 50%+ better fps.

If you look to the left you will see the quantity on the 7900 GTX is 2. Look to the right and it's around $1,198 for both--I sure as hell ain't paying that much for only 1 card! :p

Also, for around $800-$900, you could get the 24" Dell 2405 widescreen monitor. I think the max resolution on that is like 1920x1200, and ever since I got my widescreen monitor (a mere 20"), I could never think of going back. True, many games don't have widescreen support, but many of the new titles do, such as CoD 2, HL2, etc. I think in a few years all games will include widescreen support. Even with the ones that don't, you can very easily set the monitor to an "aspect" ratio instead of a "fill" ratio. Therefore, a game at 1280x1024 will have a black bar on either side, and you can still play it in fullscreen (or you can have it set to the "fill" ratio, and the image will be stretched). I've never heard anyone wanting to go back to fullscreen ever.

Ok, let me tell you I already have a 22 in' NEC Multisync CRT; so I am used to playing games in 1600x1200 resolution. But I tell you what, I guess it's finally time to get with the times and go widescreen. I don't know if I could hold my head up carrying anything around with a 'Dell' tag slapped on it though ^^.

And the water cooling solution in it would be more than enough to clock an FX-60 to 2.9 ish... (and it would save you an A$$load of cash.)

I guess I was under the false illusion that I could push the FX60 a lot higher if it was running arond -30 C. Ok, I guess I'll bite-- is there any specific water cooling kit that you recommend? Honestly though, I don't know how comfortable I would feel trying to remove the huge HS and fan off the GTX's to fit a water block on the GPU though :?

I will probably update my list subbing out for a widescreen and consider maybe going for just a water cooling solution instead.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The monitor is kickass though. I have the 2005fpw, and it rocks. It's bright and sharp, and I've never noticed any "ghosting." In fact, I wouldn't even know what to look for, since this monitor is one heck of a lot nicer than my old CRT. You can even get the 30" widescreen for $2,200 (resolution 2560x1600 I believe). That would equal crazy awesome right there. Dell desktops may suck, but the monitors are awesome.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've got the Dell 24" LCD. I cum sometimes just by looking at it .... Got it for like $860 a year ago. hellava price! I guess they have a 30" out now too.

The design of the monitor is weak in my opinion but I couldn't argue with the price, image quality and response time, as well as having every input imaginable.

Screw sound cards. I bought a good one once and now just stick to stock on-board sound. I figure less cards mean sleeker running machine. I don't do the whole digital surround stuff so I guess maybe that's why I don't care. I have an expensive pair of headphones with my on-board sound and couldnt' be happier. Shit sounds alive in my head!

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You know, I really don't care all too much about sound cards in all honesty. If it sounds good and supports 7 channels, why do I need anything else? I guess I would actually have to hear the difference to be sold on needing a really expensive sound card.
Go for the X-FI Xtreme music if you're already paying that much for your system.
I've got the Dell 24" LCD. I cum sometimes just by looking at it ....
You sure like that monitor. :lol:

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
With the system you are looking to build it would be a shame not to put ddr 500 ram for that extra stability in overclicking. If you really want to over clock the Opteron line would cut your processor costs a bit while giving you as good an overclock as an FX chip.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Actually the Tai Chi casae,

xBit labs did a review on it... they loved the watercooling system that comes with the Tai Chi case... I've personally set up 1 system with it (for my friend unfortunately :evil: ) and it is SWEET, and it can handle quite a bit of heat...

And that case is absolutely bomb proof

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Your going too extreme with this rig. I cant see the parts list because the newegg link never loads... but an FX-60 is a waste of money. For several hundred dollars less you can get an opty 165 (same socket) and OC it to and past FX-60 status with sufficent cooling upgrades. Your blowing atleast 500-600$ on the FX 60 alone.

Secondly SLI, espically in the high end card range is stupid. SLI is stupid and a waste of money all together. Get one 7900GTX... or better yet just get a X1900XT.

Secondly never OC your ram, its pointless. Espically on an AMD based system that makes good on tight timings... OC'in will fatten up those timings.

Liquid cooling is pointless really... unless you must have those extra 200mhz you wont get from air and think that its worth the 300+$ you'll spend on "good" liquid cooling. Just go high end air on the cpu cooler and your set there. As long as you have atleast two 120mm case fans.

I wish I had the kinda money you do...

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've got the Dell 24" LCD. I cum sometimes just by looking at it .... Got it for like $860 a year ago. hellava price! I guess they have a 30" out now too.

I was looking around at the Dell 24" widescreen monitors and it appears they don't sell them on newegg. I did find them on some other sites though for around $799. The only 'comparable' one spec wise I could find on newegg was a $1349 Samsung so I guess I could save myself a good chunk of money there. I have played with them at the mall where they have those little Dell booths set up and they do have a really nice picture for a LCD.

Screw sound cards. I bought a good one once and now just stick to stock on-board sound. I figure less cards mean sleeker running machine. I don't do the whole digital surround stuff so I guess maybe that's why I don't care. I have an expensive pair of headphones with my on-board sound and couldnt' be happier. **** sounds alive in my head!

I agree. Spending $300 on a soundcard is a waste. The $69 audigy ZS 2 is just fine for me :wink:

Your going too extreme with this rig. I cant see the parts list because the newegg link never loads... but an FX-60 is a waste of money. For several hundred dollars less you can get an opty 165 (same socket) and OC it to and past FX-60 status with sufficent cooling upgrades. Your blowing atleast 500-600$ on the FX 60 alone.

I can agree with you there probably, the FX60 is probably too much. I may just go for the AMD64 Toledo 4800+ seeing it would save me around $500 :p

Secondly SLI, espically in the high end card range is stupid. SLI is stupid and a waste of money all together. Get one 7900GTX... or better yet just get a X1900XT.

I am going to disagree with you there. My friend got a Dell XPS recently with dual 7800GTX's running in SLI and his framerate is amazing (i.e. he would be getting 90+ frames in the most intense of places where I would be getting 15 fps with a single 6800gt. Did I mention this system was a Dell? 8O

Secondly never OC your ram, its pointless. Espically on an AMD based system that makes good on tight timings... OC'in will fatten up those timings.

If you are buying high quality RAM and you can tighten the ram timings past stock and still keep a stable environment, why not do it?

Liquid cooling is pointless really... unless you must have those extra 200mhz you wont get from air and think that its worth the 300+$ you'll spend on "good" liquid cooling. Just go high end air on the cpu cooler and your set there. As long as you have atleast two 120mm case fans.

The Swiftech I was looking at was around $200. While I may only be getting several hundred more MHz, I would still like to try it regardless.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
of course dual 7800gtx are going to do better then a single 6800gt

but so will a single 7900gtx.

and if you are just playing wow on that system then what you have is way overkill.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Just how much did that XPS system cost????

And no kidding two 7800GTX's beat one 6800GT.... lmao

But figure in not only the cost of the card, but the cost of the better PSU, SLI capable mobo, and a case thats roomy enough for it not to be a pain.

One 7900GT ( which is alot cheaper then even one 7800GTX ) would be plenty... two would own those two 7800GTX's and would cost less.

Comparing one 6800GT to two 7800GTX's is like comparing a station wagon to a lambo lmao.

gnjprice

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I agree with WoWchamp.

To shell out that much money for a computer your not going to be happy with in yet another 3 yrs. is just mind boggling to me. I would get what I need to upgrade the one you have the best you can till you realy need to build a new system.

IMO a system should last at the least 5+ years with maybe a couple upgrades. (Video,Ram)

If you realy want to build a new system do so, but don't blow your money for the big e-peen machine.

Just my 2 cents.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
is a waste of money. For several hundred dollars less you can get an opty 165 (same socket) and OC it to and past FX-60 status with sufficent cooling upgrades. Your blowing atleast 500-600$ on the FX 60 alone.

Secondly SLI, espically in the high end card range is stupid. SLI is stupid and a waste of money

So? It's his money. Seems like a lot of guys on this website aren't willing to work a few extra weekends to get the top of the line. That's really strange, considering the whole point of THG is the latest and greatest. Let the guy blow his wad and enjoy himself. That's what I'm going to do as soon as I can. And by that time, his stuff will be old hat, but guess what? It'll still scream, and it'll still handle whatever the game companies are throwing at it.