Aus A8N Sli Premium doesn't POST for the first time

Hello guys, I'm new around here so please be tolerant with me :)
I have an Asus a8n Sli Premium board. It's working ok, but I have a small problem with it. It's somehow bothering me. When I first time power up the pc, it doesn't POST. The fans from the cpu, vid card and case are starting, but that's it. Then, if I make a restart, it does POST and everything starts to move smoothly and fine. If I make a restart from Windows, everthing is perfect, it does restart, post and load OS. So, the only problem is when I first time start the pc.
Is there someone who had this problem too? Any advice please? Thank you !
50 answers Last reply
More about premium doesn post time
  1. recheck that ram is in correctly all your connections are tight and correctly installed, enter bios disable all un needed crap um, it does to meh as I've had pcs to fix with thisa type of problem that its a loose connection, ram isn't in right. try 1 ram stick at a time as well. see if that helps. just throwing ideas at ya
  2. Thanks for the response. The ram seems to be corectly instaled, and also I've checked with only 1 ram stick. It does the same thing :(
  3. um ok, do u have dual channel set installed in the blue slots, and have you flashed your bios to the lastest version?
  4. Yes, I'm using the blue slots for memory. For bios I didn't update it, it is rev. 1008. Are you suggesting to upgrade it?
    And, somehow off topic, do you know what the max temp is for this board? SpeedFan shows me a max of 39 C full loaded and 37 C idle , I hope is ok.
  5. Make sure that you have two things atxe power connector 24 pin but also don't forget to connect the 4pin aux connector as well on the board. If you forget to connect the 4 pin aux connector then your board won't post. Everything will start up fine but it needs the extra power to post. Anyhow, I hope that helps and your symptoms sound to be those of this problem. Good luck!
  6. As I wrote before, only the first time when I power up the pc, it doesn't post. After I make a reset from the case button, all is normal. Anyway, I have a psu with 24 pins which powers up the mobo as well the auxiliary 4 pin connector. So the problem has to be from somewhere else. I'll make a bios update, hope that this will resolve it.
  7. nah dude, sorry I was out of it yesterday. It should still post even without a bios update. That doesn't make sense. You sure you have everything set up right? Hdd/s on the sata and not the raid connectors right? Put them mem in the right slots right? The two blue slots? what kinda memory do ya gots?
    Those are the only things I can ask. I mean my stuff fired up on the first try. I don't know why yours didn't so I guess I look for the hardware.
  8. Hi!

Since I dont know how used you are to build your own systems this comment may be TOO obvius, so please if it is dont take it in a bad way...

One thing that would cause the problem you are talking about is if you enable Q-fan. Your CPU temps will then be sub 25C when starting up which gives a fanspeed below 800rpm. And if you havent disabled warnings, the mobo wont allow a boot to protect your CPU. This is accompanied with a errormessage, so if you dont see anything (no error messages) this isnt the problem.

Good luck
    Suras
  9. I'm sorry for not posting anymore, but I had a one week holliday and I was away. Hdd is on the sata connectors, and I don't have raid anyway. I thought that it had to post even without a bios update too. :(
    For @suras, it doesn't post me any error message. The fans start and that's all. The monitor shows me as if it were on standby. After this, I press the reset button and that's it, it starts normaly as if nothing happened. It is for the first time when I'm facing a problem like this. And I built a lot of configurations.
    About bios update... I decided to wait a little longer, to see if I can figure out what's the problem in fact. If I'll ever meet with such a thing, I'll know what to do. Thank you so much for trying to help. Any other ideas?
  10. Try posting your system specs. It might help narrow the problem. Make sure and specify the brand and wattage of your powersupply
  11. Ok, you're right, I don't know why I haven't thought at this aspect. So, here they are:
    Amd 64 3200+ with XP-120/Panaflo 120 mm vent
    Asus A8N Sli Premium
    PQI 1 giga (2 X 512)
    Leadtek GeForce 7800GT
    Hdd Seagate 160 SATA
    Dvd Writer Asus
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    PSU Hiper Power 450 w
    Case Antec SLK 3700 AMB with 2 Nexus 120 mm (one in front, pushing the air into the case, one at the back, flushing the air outside of the case)

If I forgot something please let me know.
  12. Are you using the default memory and cpu bios settings or are you using manual settings, overclocking or using ASUS AI NOS? It is possible this board doesn't like your ram and it takes 2 tries to revert to stock settings.
  13. this is an extreme noob question, and probalby should not be asked under this guys topic...

But what do you mean by "post" in regards to "doesn't post". I see this a lot in the forums. I checked the sticky facts for a description and could not find anything.
  14. When a machine first starts the bios does a check of the components and the setup and if everything is fine it gives a single beep in most cases and begins to load the operating system. This is called a successful "Post". Any thing else is a failure to "Post"
  15. Ah! I understand. I knew it checked the components and gave a beep if everything checked out. I did not know it was called "Posting" though. Thanks!
  16. POST - Power On Self Test :)

Dvorak, I'd try the good ol' elimination test... remove anything non-vital, i.e. everything except mainboard, cpu, ram, gfx and psu.

Clear the CMOS, theres a little jumper at the bottom of the board, nr the battery (see ur manual for instructions)

Try booting it a couple of times, see if the errors go away... then start pluggin bits back in, one at a time.

If it starts acting up after u install, say the sound card, then it must be a problem with the sound card/pci slot/compatibility issue.

Have fun :P
  17. Quote:
    Are you using the default memory and cpu bios settings or are you using manual settings, overclocking or using ASUS AI NOS? It is possible this board doesn't like your ram and it takes 2 tries to revert to stock settings.

I'm not overclocking a thing nor using ASUS Ai Nos. I'm using default timers for memory, also default settings for cpu.

Quote:

But what do you mean by "post" in regards to "doesn't post".

I saw that lesterf1020 and Sheps87 responded you :)

Quote:

Dvorak, I'd try the good ol' elimination test... remove anything non-vital, i.e. everything except mainboard, cpu, ram, gfx and psu.

Clear the CMOS, theres a little jumper at the bottom of the board, nr the battery (see ur manual for instructions)

Try booting it a couple of times, see if the errors go away... then start pluggin bits back in, one at a time.

If it starts acting up after u install, say the sound card, then it must be a problem with the sound card/pci slot/compatibility issue.

The problem is somehow more difficult. You see, as I said before the first time when I power on the computer, the problem described happens. After this, even if I power off the pc and then immediately power it on, or reset it, the problem doesn't apper. After I power it off and let it the whole night, the next day when I power it on, the problem appears, only the first time. This started to driving me nuts !!! It's like it says "Hmmm, I'm so sleepy now, let me sleep until the next restart" :D
    Anyway, I thought at the elimination test too, but as you see I'll have to do it in like a week or something :( I was somehow lazy and I hoped that you guys encountered such a problem already.... Ok, I'll start with the elimination test, hope not to become old enough by the end of this test :)
  18. When you shut down your machine do you disconnect the power? Try to see if you can make the error repeatable by disconnecting power when you shut off. Even when you power down, the motherboard is still getting power. If you can consistently reproduce the error solving it will be a lot easier.
  19. Well the test is a pain in the ass thats for sure however you will be that much smarter the next time around!
  20. Quote:
    When you shut down your machine do you disconnect the power? Try to see if you can make the error repeatable by disconnecting power when you shut off. Even when you power down, the motherboard is still getting power. If you can consistently reproduce the error solving it will be a lot easier.

Good idea, I'll do it for sure!
    Last evening when I reached from my job, I removed the sound card (Creative Audigy 2 ZS). Still the same phenomenon. :( Tonight I want to remove a 512 M PQI stick (let only one), after this I'll remove ASUS DVD Writer, and ... I think that's it ! I will not have anything else to remove ! Btw, I forgot to tell you.... is not the video card, because I allready test with 2 other pci-x vid cards (2 asus, one on nvidia gpu and one on ati gpu). I had each of these 2 vid cards for about a week in my pc, and the same problem appeared.
  21. Dvorak, you have a very interesting problem. My A8N-SLI Premium did that from time to time until I remembered something I learned long ago in one of my Solid State Device classes. The conductive properties of semiconductors change greatly with temperature. It's backwards to what metals do. As temperature increases, so does conductivity.

After a while of being powered down, my system did/does have the same symptoms that you described. I found it was caused by, in essense, too cool of a chip 8) ... opposite of what you might think at first. The resistance was too high in the chip for such a high overclock that I had. My fix is that I have to start the compy up with no o/c, then after a few micro-moments it's obviously warm enough to be pumped up, usually during the first part of a POST.

Now I'm not sure if your clockspeed has the same EXACT effect that occurs on my board, but your symptoms are identical. Therefore, I suggest you try at first what I did, then branch out and see what your system prefers. I guess it all comes down to if you mind keeping your compy powered on all the time, putting your friend in a warmer room, or not using an o/c... if you are using one.

I'd be interested in knowing what happens when you keep your computer powered off for a while, and warm the CPU with your hands or a warm towel or something, then try powering it up... I could get it warm enough with my hands about 20% of the time. (I did this just as an experiment).
  22. Quote:
    Dvorak, you have a very interesting problem. My A8N-SLI Premium did that from time to time until I remembered something I learned long ago in one of my Solid State Device classes. The conductive properties of semiconductors change greatly with temperature. It's backwards to what metals do. As temperature increases, so does conductivity.

After a while of being powered down, my system did/does have the same symptoms that you described. I found it was caused by, in essense, too cool of a chip 8) ... opposite of what you might think at first. The resistance was too high in the chip for such a high overclock that I had. My fix is that I have to start the compy up with no o/c, then after a few micro-moments it's obviously warm enough to be pumped up, usually during the first part of a POST.

Now I'm not sure if your clockspeed has the same EXACT effect that occurs on my board, but your symptoms are identical. Therefore, I suggest you try at first what I did, then branch out and see what your system prefers. I guess it all comes down to if you mind keeping your compy powered on all the time, putting your friend in a warmer room, or not using an o/c... if you are using one.

I'd be interested in knowing what happens when you keep your computer powered off for a while, and warm the CPU with your hands or a warm towel or something, then try powering it up... I could get it warm enough with my hands about 20% of the time. (I did this just as an experiment).

Wow.... somehow a complex one :D
    Well, as I said, I'm not overclocking a thing in my pc. I'll try to use a hair drier and worm something there (cpu and/or northbridge etc) (despite that al my thoughts were "vice-versa", to cool as much as I can in it). Thanks a lot ! I'll let you know the results.
  23. You're not alone!
    I'm having the same problem. When I boot my pc in the morning I get POST beep codes and I have to hit the reset button 3 or 4 times before it finally boots. Once it's booted it works perfrectly until the next time I completely shut down my pc. I actually have a post on this forum about it because I figured it was a video card issue (tried 3 different 6800 GT's and non worked, but a 7800GT does work!)
    My specs are:
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium (bios 1009)
    500W Enermax Liberty ps
    Venice 3000+ (no o/c)
    1gig OCZ 3200 2-3-2-5 Platinum D/C Ram
    BFG 7800GT (my 6800GT's are what is causing the problem)
    SB Audigy 2 ZS
    200gig Maxtor DM10
    Plextor PX-716A
    APC Backups 800

If anyone has any idea how to fix this please let us know.
    I've been talking to BFG about this and they have no idea whats going on.
  24. Oops! :oops: I guess I should have left my specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    AMD 3700+ (San Diego core)
    eVGA 7800GT (ver __-516)
    Micron's 2x512MB Ballistix (3200)
    HDD: WD's 74GB Raptor & WD's WD4000KD 400GB
    Antec 550W TruePower 2
    HP DVD+-RW (external)
    generic DVD-ROM
    generic floppy
  25. Mate, im having the exact same problem!!:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Turn-turn-ftopict180350.html

Im actually sending my mobo back as i have heard from others that had similar problems that it was a faulty mobo. I'll let you know wif that helps..
  26. Quote:
    Mate, im having the exact same problem!!:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Turn-turn-ftopict180350.html

Im actually sending my mobo back as i have heard from others that had similar problems that it was a faulty mobo. I'll let you know wif that helps..

Please, don't forget to let me know the result !!!
    I tried with that hair drier... nothing, still the same problem.
  27. @ the OP: You haven't mentioned whether you get a Blue Screen of Death? I THINK that what happens to you is that the SATA drivers haven't loaded properly when your mobo starts searching for an OS. Maybe you should take a look at your BIOS and look at the sequence of things your boot procedure.

Hope that helps.
  28. I've never had a BSOD.
  29. Okay, i got a new mobo and the same thing happened. Im sending my Seasonic 500w psu back now as that is the only thing it can be.
  30. That's a bad thing !
    Look.... somehting is wrong in this picture. I see that in this moment you are suspecting you psu. Well... it might not be this ! Because, I tested allready with anotehr psu (I have a hiper power silence 450 and I changed it with one psu from antec) and the same thing happened. But, look what I did. In this morning, (when I knew that the problem will appear) I stopped the psu (hiper power 450) from its button, and started after 3-4 seconds. After this, I power up the computer and guess what .... it started OK !! Figure this out..... :((
    I'll try to see if this is a repeating process. In this evening I'll have to go from town, and I'll return on sunday, so I'll try this on sunday. Can you try on your computer this thing, to see if it's the same thing on your side? Thank you and I'm waiting news from you.
  31. Okay mate i now know the problem.

I spoke to the very knowledgable people who i bought my psu and a lot of other componenets from. The guy i spoke to had the exact same mobo as me and you and told me this: that this mobo has major compatibility issues with like 70% of all psu's. He advised me to use a Tagen 580w as he uses that with the same mobo as us and it works great. It was something about the power distribution, management, how much power the mobo needs and some other stuff. He had heard of our problem before so knew what i was having trouble with straight away.

GET either:

Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU

or

Tagan TG580-U22 580W ATX2.01 2Force SLi Compliant Silent PSU

I have already ordered the second one, as it was cheaper, i advise you to do the same! If you here from me again it hasn't worked, but if you don't, it worked like a charm :D
  32. Wow !!
    Thanx a lot !!!
    I will wait for your psu to reach and PLEASE share with me if it worked. Also, please tell me if this psu is quiet, because I am somehow a fanatic sound.
    Thank you again and I'm waiting to share your impresions with me when your Tagan psu will reach
  33. Heh no problem dude, i'll let you know how it works out. Won't be till next Thursday though as im going away.

Also for that mobo: update to the latest stable (not beta) bios update asap as there have been many bios updates, and that fixes many issues too. (try to avoid using the windows updater for the bios as i have heard is it crap and most of the time does not work) Remember to turn off the firewall too, as it is sh!t. Goto the asus website and find all the latest updates for nVdia stuff etc and all will be good.

Have fun, i'll keep you updated on my progress.
  34. Ok the cut this long story short...it WORKS!!! Yay! I have no problems at all now, thanks to this beutiful Tagan PSU! I advise everyone who has this mobo to buy this psu and you will be very happy!
  35. That's great ! I'll see from where can I buy this psu in my country. One question please. Is this psu quiet? I mean, I hope that if I'll buy it it won't be a riding train :D
    Thnk you for sharing all of this with me
  36. Yes, it is very quiet, like my whole machine ;) Although the more expensive one is quieter i think, this cheaper one is still good.
  37. Allright, thanx a lot friend !
  38. I'm having the same problem! I tried to turn it on for the first time and then it started to beep (POST failure) and there is nothing on the display (the fans are fine). I turned it off and on and after a few minutes it finally worked! The bad news is every time the computer is turned off for some amount of time, it will have the same problem again! Do you know what's going on Dvorak? I think this might be because of my video cards.
  39. Hi
    as I understood, Ultraviolet has found the answer to this problem. Take that Tagan PSU and it seems that will be no problems anymore. I thought at my vid card too at the first time, and I changed it, but the problem didn't disapear.
    I haven't money to buy the Tagan psu yet, but soon I will.
  40. have you guys tried to leave the ez plug connected (thats the ide conector on the motherboard), I have the same mobo but it an angel... the only thing that it takes a while to start (that is the screen of the bios of the video card)... try with the ez plug and tell me!!!!
  41. I thought EZ plug is only used when the PSU is 20 pin not 24 pin, in my case the PSU is 24 pin so I don't think that the problem doesn't have anything to do with the EZ plug.

P.S the reason why I know the problem has something to do with my graphic card is because when it fails to POST there are 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I check Award BIOS for the beep codes and apparently it is "Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly".
  42. Quote:

P.S the reason why I know the problem has something to do with my graphic card is because when it fails to POST there are 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I check Award BIOS for the beep codes and apparently it is "Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly".

Hmmmm, it seems that you don't have the same behavior as mine or Ultraviolet. I don't hear any error code when it does not POST. I just have a blank screen and that's all. If I press the reset button, the things are running ok. Please read my previously posts. Also, read Ultraviolet's also, because it seems that he found the answer... but in our cases. Your case it's somehow different due to the error code that is provided by the motherboard.

In your case, I suggest you to change the graphic card with another one (from a friend or somehting) to see if you're having the same problem.
  43. I know this might sound...well...dumb, but... Do you have any USB devices connected to the machine at all?
  44. Nope.... none. But anyway, as you probably (or not?) saw, Ultraviolet found the solution. With the Tagan PSU you won't have this problem anymore. I took
    Tagan TG580-U22 580W ATX2.01 2Force SLi Compliant Silent PSU
    and indeed, no problem since.
  45. I'm concerned, honestly, because I ordered the A8N SLi Premium from NewEgg yesterday because I wanted a good passively cooled mobo for my jukebox machine. I have an Antec TruePower 480...and I'll be dissapointed if the mobo arrives today (as it looks like it will) and I have problems with it. ...but guess what? That's life. I'll keep my fingers crossed, it doesn't work properly and can't be fixed by bios update it'll get RMA'd and I'll be getting the ABIT AN8 SLi.

I'll keep my fingers crossed...I ordered the ASUS as it thought it was one of the best...I hope it proves to be....
  46. Yes, it's one of the best.... but with slighty some minor problems :lol: Keep me(us) informed if you are having the same problems as me or Ultraviolet had.
  47. I'm using the Asus A8N Sli Premium with the PSU listed in my sig with no problems. I guess this PSU should also work.
  48. As I think about it, I hope it will accept my standard PNY PC3200 memory and my Antec TP 480 PSU. It'd be a shame to if it ONLY accepts BMW-class components and won't take my Hyundai-class parts. :roll:
  49. I too was having this issue. I think there may be a manufacturing defect on the boards. I had to move my 7800 GTX to the bottom PCI express slot and it resolved it. I do not know why.

AMD 3700+ San Diego
    Asus A8n SLI Premium
    BFG 7800 GTX
    OCZ 2x 1 GB
    WD 74GB Raptor
    Seagate 300 GB
    Lite On DVD
    Lite ON DVD+/-RW
    Thermaltake Ungodly Loud CPU Cooler
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus SLI Motherboards Product