Windows 7 - recovery backup

bocado

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have to send my drive in to OCZ for an RMA and I asked how long it would take because I can't wait too long for the RMA to happen.
So I said I could still return the drive to the store, however the tech support rep., said I could use my recovery back up and put it on another drive as long as the other components of my build are the same.

Is this true? Anyone do this?

Thanks.

Yes, you can do this as follows:

- Use Start -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Backup and Restore and choose the "Create a System Image" option to back up your drive to an external disk.

- Follow the same start menu path and use the "Create a System Repair Disk" to burn a bootable recovery disk to a blank DVD

- Shut down the system, remove the old internal drive from the system (the one that you backed up) and install a new drive (one that doesn't have anything on it you want).

- Boot from the Repair DVD you burned in Step 2 above and use it to restore the backup from the external drive to the new drive you've just installed.

I used this to back up and restore a Windows 7 system from a hard drive to an SSD and it worked without any problems.