Cannot Restore MS Backup File

Hello,

Some time ago I decided to back up all my data to my
slave backup hardrive using MS Backup (XP Pro) and format
my principal HD and install a fresh copy of Windows XP
Pro. I didn't use compression nor password, just felt it
would be easier to backup my files and folders. Well,
after re-installing Win XP and accessing my backup HD I
now select the backup file (which it's about 5GB in size)
and I simple cannot restore my data... it looks EMPTY but
with its original huge size! Anyone had experienced the
same? How can I have my data back? HELP!!!

Gilberto
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot restore backup file

    Do you receive an error message, if so, what is the error you receive when
    attempting to restore the backup file?

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Gilberto" <gbeltrao@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Some time ago I decided to back up all my data to my
    > slave backup hardrive using MS Backup (XP Pro) and format
    > my principal HD and install a fresh copy of Windows XP
    > Pro. I didn't use compression nor password, just felt it
    > would be easier to backup my files and folders. Well,
    > after re-installing Win XP and accessing my backup HD I
    > now select the backup file (which it's about 5GB in size)
    > and I simple cannot restore my data... it looks EMPTY but
    > with its original huge size! Anyone had experienced the
    > same? How can I have my data back? HELP!!!
    >
    > Gilberto

    Well, there's no error messages. It simple shows me the
    sandglass and no directory tree is displayed - only the
    main one. I did a small backup now and noticed that the
    shadow mode is the default one and I may had created my
    big backup this way. Would there any implication
    regarding shadow backups and no longer having the
    original volume on my main HD? If so, how can I re-build
    this file's directory tree? It should contain data
    because it has a huge size.

    Thanks!

    Usually, you rebuild by going to Restore, select the file to restore, then
    click Device View because the file is on your hard drive. It's been a while
    since I used ntbackup. I'm using a fuller featured version on which
    ntbackup is based called "Backup My PC," from Stomp but actually is a
    Veritas product and Veritas created ntbackup as well. I believe the
    procedure would be the same.

    You may have to try selecting the file to restore, have it begin and it
    should tell you the volume is empty, to go back and select Device View and
    then it would rebuild.

    If that doesn't work, try the question on the windowsxp.configuration_manage
    newsgroup as they might be able to give you better information.

    --

    > Well, there's no error messages. It simple shows me the
    > sandglass and no directory tree is displayed - only the
    > main one. I did a small backup now and noticed that the
    > shadow mode is the default one and I may had created my
    > big backup this way. Would there any implication
    > regarding shadow backups and no longer having the
    > original volume on my main HD? If so, how can I re-build
    > this file's directory tree? It should contain data
    > because it has a huge size.
    >
    > Thanks!

Backup Windows XP