What to do with extra fan!?!? POWER SUPPLY QUESTION

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok - So If you've visisted the Graphics Card Forum in the last week, youll know that I am upgrading my graphics card to a X800GTO AGP card...

They reccomend at least a 300Watt Power Supply, and SINCE my crappy COMPAQ only has a crappy standard 250watt POwersupply I am planning on buying this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182008

HOWEVER. I notice it has an extra fan... My problem is, my computer case is almost FLUSH and I don't understand where that extra fan is going to be pointing...

(this is NOT exact, but you can get an idea how my computer looks here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=1110863&cc=us&dest_page=product&docname=bph07166 ----- My computer case is more flush at the top)

If the fan points UP, then it will be pointing to the top of the case, where there is MAYBE a half an inch.

If it points DOWN, there is literally NO ROOM and the fan would be FLUSH with the metal sleeving!

So, I dont know what to do? Can I use this power supply? It seems good for the money....

CAN ANYONE HELP? OR RECCOMEND A POWER SUPPLY FOR MY COMPUTER AROUND THE SAME PRICE ON NEWEGG!?!?!?!?

Computer Specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=1110863&cc=us&dest_page=product&docname=c00428254

Ive added a SoundBlaster AUDIGY, Geforce FX 5200, and upgraded up to 1.25 gigs of RAM...

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Looking at the PS and the case layout that you show, the fan should point towards the CPU. That is the pretty typical orientation. as long as there isn't a metal plate that extends from the back to the front seperating the PSU area from the rest of the system, you should be fine.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Looking at the PS and the case layout that you show, the fan should point towards the CPU. That is the pretty typical orientation. as long as there isn't a metal plate that extends from the back to the front seperating the PSU area from the rest of the system, you should be fine.

That's EXACTLY the problem... there is a metal plate that seperates from the back to midway in the case, and that's where the fan would point!!!!!!!

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Dremmel is your friend then... Most psu's over a certain wattage will have that problem. I'll look around to see if I can find anything that would work.

<Edit>
This is a tough one. The ones that either have 1 fan, or 2 but not blowing like that one tend to be more expensive. Me. I'd just dremmel that plate out of the way. if you spend $50-60 you can find an antec or something that would fit the bill beter. Sorry I cant help more...

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Is that a 20+4 plug (meaning that the extra 4 pins can detach if you don't need them)? Hard to tell from the pic.

<Edit>
Nevermind, I saw another pic of just that connector.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You can try this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I recently built a budget system for my younger brother and used this as the power supply. The fans are on the front and back of the PSU, so you dont have the problem with it pointing down. I've personally used thermaltake power supplies in the past, and have always been pretty impressed with the preformance.

That looks great... but NOW... I look on my computers website, and it says FORM - MICRO-ATX>.. SO I guess I need a MICRO ATX power supply??@!?!??

MY GOD THIS IS TOO CONFUSING!

I called COMPAQ, just now, and they were like "any powersupply"... I was like, what does that mean.. and the woman said.. "ANY POWER SUPPLY"...........

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Like i said in the other topic, any PSU with the letters A-T-X in it...lol

Ok, then xbcrguy182x, can you, or someone else, reccomend something in the 30 - 40 dollar price range.

I am trying to get a POWER SUPPLY and a nice video card, like an x800GTO or a Geforce 6800GS .. .

Any suggestions on the power supply? I would like to buy from newegg, or maybe tigerdirect.

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Go with the psu alth0r recommended. It will work fine. It even has the 6 pin connector if the card you choose uses it. xbcrguy182x is being a dink. If he actually read the entire thread, he would have realized that not any psu will work.

alth0r

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
I borrowed the following from Directron.

Link to the original : http://www.directron.com/psu.html

Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

I am not familiar with the MicroATX formfactor at all, I'm assuming that the motherboard should fit in another case, so that might be an option for you as well. Antec and thermaltake both make decent quality cases for under $100, some of which come with power supplies.

xbcrguy182x

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Go with the psu alth0r recommended. It will work fine. It even has the 6 pin connector if the card you choose uses it. xbcrguy182x is being a dink. If he actually read the entire thread, he would have realized that not any psu will work.

Sorry, I forgot how to read...lol

blaumer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Sorry, I overreacted. I keep seeing people respond with smarta$$ responses like they think everyone should know everything about setting up pc hardware. I thought you had done the same until after I posted and I saw you followed up with a post with information that helped.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I borrowed the following from Directron.

Link to the original : http://www.directron.com/psu.html

Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

I am not familiar with the MicroATX formfactor at all, I'm assuming that the motherboard should fit in another case, so that might be an option for you as well. Antec and thermaltake both make decent quality cases for under $100, some of which come with power supplies.

This was MOST helpful...

I think I am going to go with this:

1 SAPPHIRE 100131L Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video

1 Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail

1 POWERCOLOR Heat Buster HB-SC70 PCI Cooling Fan - Retail

Remove Save Move To Wish List $16.00 $16.00

Subtotal: $224.99
Shipping
Zip Code: 33771 Promo Code:
Total: $232.74

IMPORTANT SHIPPING INFORMATION

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You can try this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I recently built a budget system for my younger brother and used this as the power supply. The fans are on the front and back of the PSU, so you dont have the problem with it pointing down. I've personally used thermaltake power supplies in the past, and have always been pretty impressed with the preformance.

alth0r - thanks a TON for this suggestion. This powersupply has about a gajillion connectors, and it uses those mesh like black cloths OVER the cables to make them smaller and allow more airflow. The fan is QUIET as can be, and everything powered up perfecto!