Weird ATC clearance

Never seen this before...

I filed a flight plan and got permission to taxi to the runway. As I'm
taxiing, I see planes heading towards the runway I will soon depart
from. The first one is about to land, but then does a go-around. First
time I've ever seen an AI plane do a go-around. Then the next plane
does same. Then the next. Thought this was a might unusual. Then, as
I get close to the end of my taxi, with the "Show Progressive Taxi" pink
line guiding the way, I notice said line, rather than stopping at the
limit line, extends all the way onto the runway, even though I was not
cleared to land. I stop at the limit anyway and contact Tower, which
says I'm already cleared for takeoff. Meanwhile planes are going around
like crazy.

So it seems that since I started taxiing, I had priority on the runway
and all those planes were going around for me, even when I was just
leaving the hangar. I've never seen ATC do this before. Has anyone else??

John

More about weird clearance

    :| mm nup.
    Not with me... weird...

    I once had a situaton where I was following a large jet to the end of
    taxiway in preparation for takeoff, when it stopped in front of me at the
    yellow line. No aircraft were landing, and none were in front of him. I
    had no idea why he didn't move onto the runway.

    He subsequently disappeared as AI aircraft do after a while, so I checked
    the tower ATC and noticed there was no prompt for me to request takeoff
    clearance. Being the adveturous soul that I am, I taxied my 737 onto the
    active and noticed I was on a section marked with forward arrows. I still
    didn't get the prompt until I reached the actual threshold of the runway at
    which time it appeared on the screen and I requested clearance, which I
    received. (I received clearance to take off AFTER I had taken my place on
    the active). Sooooo, I would conclude that in view of the fact we are using
    a brilliant program, the ATC can be wonky at times. I've learned to live
    with it and consider each glitch just another adventure and hope that it
    doesn't happen IRL.

    Arthur

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I once had a situaton where I was following a large jet to the end of
    >taxiway in preparation for takeoff, when it stopped in front of me at the
    >yellow line. No aircraft were landing, and none were in front of him. I
    >had no idea why he didn't move onto the runway.
    >
    > He subsequently disappeared as AI aircraft do after a while, so I checked
    > the tower ATC and noticed there was no prompt for me to request takeoff
    > clearance. Being the adveturous soul that I am, I taxied my 737 onto the
    > active and noticed I was on a section marked with forward arrows. I still
    > didn't get the prompt until I reached the actual threshold of the runway
    > at which time it appeared on the screen and I requested clearance, which I
    > received. (I received clearance to take off AFTER I had taken my place on
    > the active). Sooooo, I would conclude that in view of the fact we are
    > using a brilliant program, the ATC can be wonky at times. I've learned to
    > live with it and consider each glitch just another adventure and hope that
    > it doesn't happen IRL.
    >
    > Arthur

    Actually Arthur,

    Vis a vis real life, the program got it right.

    Runway surfaces marked with yellow chevrons are not usable for taxi, takeoff
    or landing. So the program was correct and you were not at the proper take
    off point until you had moved beyond the displaced threshold.

    FWIW...

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Chandler, AZ

    OK Jay, The program got it right......but the AI jet stopped at the yellow
    line blocking my way...didn't get it right.

    I retract my statement that it was a glitch by FS9, although I will stand by
    my opinion the ATC can be wonky at times....and so can I....and 'The Man
    Behind the Curtain'.....and most of the world leaders.....and movie
    stars.....and.....well, the list goes on and on : )

    Thanks for your info.

    Arthur

    "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >>I once had a situaton where I was following a large jet to the end of
    >>taxiway in preparation for takeoff, when it stopped in front of me at the
    >>yellow line. No aircraft were landing, and none were in front of him. I
    >>had no idea why he didn't move onto the runway.
    >>
    >> He subsequently disappeared as AI aircraft do after a while, so I checked
    >> the tower ATC and noticed there was no prompt for me to request takeoff
    >> clearance. Being the adveturous soul that I am, I taxied my 737 onto the
    >> active and noticed I was on a section marked with forward arrows. I
    >> still didn't get the prompt until I reached the actual threshold of the
    >> runway at which time it appeared on the screen and I requested clearance,
    >> which I received. (I received clearance to take off AFTER I had taken my
    >> place on the active). Sooooo, I would conclude that in view of the fact
    >> we are using a brilliant program, the ATC can be wonky at times. I've
    >> learned to live with it and consider each glitch just another adventure
    >> and hope that it doesn't happen IRL.
    >>
    >> Arthur
    >
    > Actually Arthur,
    >
    > Vis a vis real life, the program got it right.
    >
    > Runway surfaces marked with yellow chevrons are not usable for taxi,
    > takeoff or landing. So the program was correct and you were not at the
    > proper take off point until you had moved beyond the displaced threshold.
    >
    > FWIW...
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > PP-ASEL
    > Chandler, AZ

    I recently had the exact opposite. I was taxying in my Spitfire, as you do,
    and approaching the main runway on some airfield (no idea where, I was
    quilling) and ATC, (which I must have switched on accidentally because I
    hate hearing other people talking when I am in charge of an aircraft)
    suddenly said 'Supermarine hold, MD 838 landing' I looked left and by golly
    there was this great piece of iron coming in with all landing lights
    blazing. If I had not stopped I could have been pretend killed. That's what
    I call almost as real as it gets...true

    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Arthur wrote:
    > I once had a situaton where I was following a large jet to the end of
    > taxiway in preparation for takeoff, when it stopped in front of me at the
    > yellow line. No aircraft were landing, and none were in front of him. I
    > had no idea why he didn't move onto the runway.
    >
    > He subsequently disappeared as AI aircraft do after a while, so I checked
    > the tower ATC and noticed there was no prompt for me to request takeoff
    > clearance. Being the adveturous soul that I am, I taxied my 737 onto the
    > active and noticed I was on a section marked with forward arrows. I still
    > didn't get the prompt until I reached the actual threshold of the runway at
    > which time it appeared on the screen and I requested clearance, which I
    > received. (I received clearance to take off AFTER I had taken my place on
    > the active). Sooooo, I would conclude that in view of the fact we are using
    > a brilliant program, the ATC can be wonky at times. I've learned to live
    > with it and consider each glitch just another adventure and hope that it
    > doesn't happen IRL.

    Actually this exact same thing happened to me recently too. When I
    advanced to the runway, I expected to get some sort of message that I
    was taking off without clearance, but instead I got my clearance and
    good wishes from ATC.

    John

    Jay Beckman wrote:

    > Actually Arthur,
    >
    > Vis a vis real life, the program got it right.
    >
    > Runway surfaces marked with yellow chevrons are not usable for taxi, takeoff
    > or landing. So the program was correct and you were not at the proper take
    > off point until you had moved beyond the displaced threshold.

    However, in my case at least, that's where the Progressive Taxi told me
    to taxi...

    John

    Arthur wrote:
    > OK Jay, The program got it right......but the AI jet stopped at the yellow
    > line blocking my way...didn't get it right.
    >
    > I retract my statement that it was a glitch by FS9, although I will stand by
    > my opinion the ATC can be wonky at times....and so can I....and 'The Man
    > Behind the Curtain'

    You know, I was considering changing my name to "The Real Deep Throat."
    Good thing I didn't do that!

    John

    Hi Quilljar,

    Well, I hope you shot out his tyres for having the temerity to interrupt
    a Spitfire! :-)

    Regards,
    John ward

    > I recently had the exact opposite. I was taxying in my Spitfire, as you
    > do, and approaching the main runway on some airfield (no idea where, I was
    > quilling) and ATC, (which I must have switched on accidentally because I
    > hate hearing other people talking when I am in charge of an aircraft)
    > suddenly said 'Supermarine hold, MD 838 landing' I looked left and by
    > golly there was this great piece of iron coming in with all landing lights
    > blazing. If I had not stopped I could have been pretend killed. That's
    > what I call almost as real as it gets...true
    >
    > Cheers
    > Quilljar
    >

    > Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    > http://www.livtech.co.uk