Top World Chip-Makers

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Some food for thought.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/17/top_world_chip_makers_2005/

The 2005 year end rankings are finally out and it seems Intel's sales increased 13% from 2004 while AMD's sales fell 23.3%. In the rankings of tops world chip-makers this has resulted in AMD falling 4 places to 15th place overall while Intel remains number 1.

While AMD may be gaining in the x86 market, in the big picture of overall semiconductor sales AMD has been slipping.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
That's what i'm tryin to explain to most AMD fanboys.
AMD is barely hurting Intel. You can't just expect a multibilion company to fall in one year due to a small company's fortune in designing a series of CPUs. It will take AMD years and years of breakthrus and performance crowns untill they'll be able to compare to Intel.
Again i'm not comparing chips,i'm comparing the ones that make them. While Intel may have lost the desktop/server performance crowns they still have an enormous advantage over AMD.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
By far one of the best reads so far. It just goes to show how powerful Intel really is even when "the chips are down."

I must say though, I was kind of shocked to see Samsung #2. I never realized just how big they really are.

Good read. Thanks :wink:

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Jeezzz.....

Not another fanboy post. I really had it ffs...

fanboy post? so anything to do with showing that AMD is falling in anything when comparring both for the heck of it (market wise) that makes it fanboyism? oh that would also be the same if i asked what kind of truck i should get? dear lord, just stfu already.

nice find guy!

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Fascinating. I never really thought about this till this article.... ATI and NVidia are SIGNIFICANTLY bigger chip makers than AMD!

Be interesting to see the sales of each chipset by market just to see where these are, and see the effect of the "developed" world paying for premium products to shift volume into the lesseer developed markets....

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Posting facts is not fanboyism. It does occure more often to fanboys but it isn't a sign of fanboyism since fanboyism means claiming good/bad stuff about a brand without proving it.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah that's true and if Intel would just stick with ONE friggin chipset instead of like the 3-5 they've put out in the last 2-3 years, the Intel fans would be much happier. It gets confusing

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
By far one of the best reads so far. It just goes to show how powerful Intel really is even when "the chips are down."

Good read. Thanks :wink:

Or it show's you how stupid they are that they don't control the x86 desktop market too.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Some food for thought.

The 2005 year end rankings are finally out and it seems Intel's sales increased 13% from 2004 while AMD's sales fell 23.3%. In the rankings of tops world chip-makers this has resulted in AMD falling 4 places to 15th place overall while Intel remains number 1.

While AMD may be gaining in the x86 market, in the big picture of overall semiconductor sales AMD has been slipping.

You missed something.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30380

Because AMD had spinned off Spansion, they are ranked separately.
Combined ranking would be 8th......

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It’s like comparing Porche to General Motors. Porche makes it’s product for limited niche markets while GM makes products for the entire market. It makes no sense to compare them on market share other than in the particular markets they both compete in. You can legitimately compare the performance of particular models, e.g., a Z06 with a 911, or financial performance, i.e., profitability and as an investment but not market share.

Some food for thought.

This is valid information not fanboy bs.

Wonder what the market will look like when Intel releases Conroe - the chip thats faster, colder and evenly priced.

And btw whats those figures include besides cpus?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Some food for thought.

You missed something.

And if you counted the 100's of companies Intel spun off, we'd still be #1

endyen

Splendid
Nice spin doc. Now let me try.
Amd cut thier expenses by about 30%, so thier profit margin is up by 6%
Intel on the other hand, took a major hit on the chip and flash fronts. Their profit is down considerably.
While Amd was successful in dumping thier money loosing flash business, Intel picked up a larger share, costing Intel almost a $billion or 1% on share value, in 05.
Intel continues to loose market share in desktop, server and mobile chips. Amd's sales are up about 3% in each of those areas. In mobile chips, they have exceded 16% for the first time ever, and sales in server chips passed the 10% mark, for the first time.
Amd's profit is mainly from chip sales, though chipset sales contiue to be strong, dispite the effort to ofload this product.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Some food for thought.

You missed something.

And if you counted the 100's of companies Intel spun off, we'd still be #1
i
Then which companies were the spun off Intel?

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
All this nonsense for nothing.
Intel =15% increase
AMD =5-6%

Intel may have lost 3% market share but it is still doing very well.
AMD is small and slow. If Intel brings up one series of better products all the small AMD gains are flushed down the toilet.
AMD is small. Don't think big about it.

endyen

Splendid
Small eh? Why dont you just buy it then? I'm sure you carry the $18 billion it would cost, in your back pocket.
As to Intel getting market share back? Possibly, some, only to loose more later.
All I know for sure is my intel shares are down another $.2.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
All this nonsense for nothing.
Intel =15% increase
AMD =5-6%

Intel may have lost 3% market share but it is still doing very well.
AMD is small and slow. If Intel brings up one series of better products all the small AMD gains are flushed down the toilet.
AMD is small. Don't think big about it.

Intel does well other than processors :D
But here we focus on Processors in this forum :D :D :D

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
yes it does but that's a good thing. Intel is usually succesfull in what it does. Some profit shakenings always happen,now AMD is the cause, tomorrow i dunno who(eh, BTW where is VIA?).
The more money Intel has,the more secured is their position.
@endeyen
Intel shares down? Well there have been articles showing AMD loosing quite a bit even with its "superior" product. It's a never ending circle. And Intel has destroyed a lot of competitors so your "loose more late" statement fails. There will always be competition but right now it's pretty much one sided and that won't change in the next couple of years.
AMD is a very small chip maker compared to Intel. And even if i had the money to buy it,that much money would be better spent on something else.
Again,if AMD fails to be competitive they'll get a nasty blow in the market. AMD has been playing a risky game all those years. If you look back in the past AMD usually held the bang for buck CPU and always stayed quite competitive(appart from P2 era). That's what kept them on track.
People expect too much of AMD and AMD fanboys are ridiculous when waiting for miracles. They have a limited budget for research. Intel on the other hand has big money to blow so breakthrus like what Conroe is shaping up to be are something Intel is cappable of creating. AMD has alway been constantly slowly growing and its products alway added a bit performance to their predecesors and always tried to be a cheap Intel. Now with Netburst showing its limits there is a lot of hype in the AMD zone but once Intel is right back on track with an efficient arhitecture things will return to normal with Intel releasing CPUs and AMD releasing cheaper CPUs that are meant to match Intel CPUs.

Like a great romanian poet said,"if you want to know the future look back at the past".

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Here is the "unbiased" version of this story coming from Isuppli itself.

http://www.isuppli.com/news/clt/

As you guys can see, I don't see ATI or Nvidia above AMD.
The reason why AMD went down it's because AMD spun off its spansion division.

Spansion causes AMD’s contraction
With combined revenues of $5.97 billion in 2005, AMD/Spansion would have jumped to number eight in the rankings, up from number 11 in 2004,—if AMD had not spun off its Spansion flash-memory division. Following the split, AMD was ranked at 15th and Spansion at 24th in 2005.

In other semiconductor ranking developments, only four companies among the top 20 achieved double digit growth in 2005: Intel, Hynix, IBM Microelectronics and Broadcom. Two companies experienced double digit declines: NEC Electronics and Matsushita Electric (the decline shown for AMD is a result of the split of Spansion into a separate company).

TRENDING THREADS