Hardware authenticity - 7800 GT or |GTX

tramsleeper

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with something that is bugging me. I have just purchased a brand new PC with a FORSA GF 7800 GTX graphics card.

I have had no problem with performance and I have to say that I am quite happy with it.

So why am I writing? Thing is, in the Norton System Info and also Windows, the card is listed as being simply GF 7800 GT. :?

Now is this normal?

The stickers on the box and the card itself all say GTX, so I don't know what to think.

Is someone at the shop trying to 'pull a fast one' - or am I just being paranoid and that's what it always shows up as.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks, P

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Sure it's a misreading. Dowload Everest Home Edition or Ultimate edition and confirm that. I'll
bet it appears GTX

tramsleeper

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks guys. I am really getting worried now that I might have been had. I downloaded Everest, but it still shows as GT. I checked the product code - it says it is GT. Those of you that have GTX's - what do the diags say?

Sorry about this - but I am getting really angry that I might have been done by the store. And I don't know what to do - the implications are pretty big. If they did try to fool me, they went to great lengths.

P

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Get a lawyer...and SUE the PISS out of the store if you can prove they intentially defrauded you. That's huge! Is it some small local shop?

Play your cards right. Heck, demand to keep the card plus get your money back or you're pressing charges.

MAKE sure you're right though :) There must be a serial number or some way to be certain.

knupxfon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
download Riva tuner, and check to see if it has 20 or 24 pipelines. that will let you know without a doubt which card you have.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
WOW , That`s Bad Man !!
I Agree With Installing Riva Tuner 2 , Do You Have 3DMark 2005 ??
Install It , and It Will Tell You Lot About Your VGA , But I Think You Should Change It :?

tramsleeper

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks for all the tips guys. I ran the tests on Rivatuner - it said GT of course, but also the key information of 20 (I think that is pipelines), 7 vertex units and core frequency of 400. It all points to the GT and not the GTX that I paid good money for.

What makes all this worse is that the store is not a small one - it is the largest retailer of IT equipment in the Czech Republic. It is called Alzasoft. Now I understand that the problem could be their own suppliers, but come Monday morning I will be banging down their door.

I am truly disgusted - not only that this has happened, but also the arrogance of those involved. Did they think that I would not find out!!! Or then maybe not bother when I did.

I am sorry to go on like this, guys, but the implications of something like thii are immense. People out their are pushing fake hardware. I feel ill.

P