Anyone working for a Virtual Airlne?

Hi folks,

I have no experience in flying for a VA but am seriously considering to
join one, but before I make my application I thought someone can enlighten
me a bit.

I was reading on some Avsim forums that some of them offer off-line flying.
If I am not connected how do they control and rate me? Can I just say, hey
I've just completed around the world tour, please believe me, and I have
booked 100 hours?

Do I have to have a DSL broadband connection, or the communication with ATC
can go normally also through a 56K modem?

If I understood correctly one can communicate with ATC by voice or by
typing messages (if one is not experienced or have not trained ears). How
does one type when the keyboard, as you know, is mapped with many FS
shortcuts? (maybe I am going into too much details now...)

I like flying both, GA and heavy. Do I have to join two VAs or are there
those who can offer support for all types of aircraft?

Supposing I would fly mostly short regional flights either in USA or Europe
with the PMDG 737-700, what VA do you think would be best suited to me?
What are your favorite VAs?

Many thanks
Nkd

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nkd wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have no experience in flying for a VA but am seriously considering to
> join one, but before I make my application I thought someone can enlighten
> me a bit.
>
> I was reading on some Avsim forums that some of them offer off-line flying.
> If I am not connected how do they control and rate me? Can I just say, hey
> I've just completed around the world tour, please believe me, and I have
> booked 100 hours?

Hello Nkd,

A small but varied VA is AeroTexas at:
http://aerotexas.giwiganz.com

They have a simple checkride that you fly which is basically a take-off,
instrument approach and landing in the King Air.

After passing you will fly with a utility they provide which records
your flight and after landing at your destination, it basically fills
out the pirep for you and automatically logs the flight.

> Do I have to have a DSL broadband connection, or the communication with ATC
> can go normally also through a 56K modem?

It doesn't matter. Although if you fly online, which is encouraged but
not mandatory, you may want broadband. I don't know for sure. Maybe a
modem is all you need to fly on VATSIM. At any rate you start the
utility, taxi out and fly your flight. Then you cut and paste the code
from the utility to the pirep form on their web page and that's all you
need.

The good thing is they have a varied list of aircraft that you can fly.
From a Piper Meridian, Twin Comanche up to 737's, MD-83-90's, and the
Airbus A300 to list a few.

Another good VA is Livewire.
http://www.flightbase2000.com/

It's a very nice professional airline. For them it's best if you go to
the web page and read about it there. As you progress in rank more and
more kinds of aircraft become available to you. I also like it that
they have scheduled helicopter flights.

> If I understood correctly one can communicate with ATC by voice or by
> typing messages (if one is not experienced or have not trained ears). How
> does one type when the keyboard, as you know, is mapped with many FS
> shortcuts? (maybe I am going into too much details now...)

You will want voice commo for sure. It's easy to set up and the
directions and files are available on the web sites.

> Many thanks
> Nkd

Hope it helps

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Why not have a look at (not right now - the server is down for maintenance)
www.knightair.org
We are a VA whose emphasis is on FUN.
There is NO checkride, we have a very wide membership and a fleet to be
rivalled, which includes aircrafts for FS98 through to FS9.
You get a choice of routes and assignments (from over 3,500) and if you
don't like the aircraft assigned, you can fly your own choice.
The forums are full of fun posts.
Completely free - you can fly a route and if you like what you see, you can
join us.
Flying on-line is encouraged but isn't mandatory. You can just do your own
thing.
Pilots make posts about the flights they have done - Catering - how awful
the food was, the beach they spent the stopover at, which Stew got away with
the Co-pilot... we're more of a family than anything else!
JAKE (Chief Test Pilot) for Knightair VA

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Nkd wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have no experience in flying for a VA but am seriously considering to
>> join one, but before I make my application I thought someone can
>> enlighten
>> me a bit. I was reading on some Avsim forums that some of them offer
>> off-line flying.
>> If I am not connected how do they control and rate me? Can I just say,
>> hey
>> I've just completed around the world tour, please believe me, and I have
>> booked 100 hours?
>>

> Hello Nkd,
>
> A small but varied VA is AeroTexas at:
> http://aerotexas.giwiganz.com
>
> They have a simple checkride that you fly which is basically a take-off,
> instrument approach and landing in the King Air.
>
> After passing you will fly with a utility they provide which records your
> flight and after landing at your destination, it basically fills out the
> pirep for you and automatically logs the flight.
>

>> Do I have to have a DSL broadband connection, or the communication with
>> ATC
>> can go normally also through a 56K modem?
>
> It doesn't matter. Although if you fly online, which is encouraged but
> not mandatory, you may want broadband. I don't know for sure. Maybe a
> modem is all you need to fly on VATSIM. At any rate you start the
> utility, taxi out and fly your flight. Then you cut and paste the code
> from the utility to the pirep form on their web page and that's all you
> need.
>
> The good thing is they have a varied list of aircraft that you can fly.
> From a Piper Meridian, Twin Comanche up to 737's, MD-83-90's, and the
> Airbus A300 to list a few.
>
> Another good VA is Livewire.
> http://www.flightbase2000.com/
>
> It's a very nice professional airline. For them it's best if you go to the
> web page and read about it there. As you progress in rank more and more
> kinds of aircraft become available to you. I also like it that they have
> scheduled helicopter flights.
>

>> If I understood correctly one can communicate with ATC by voice or by
>> typing messages (if one is not experienced or have not trained ears). How
>> does one type when the keyboard, as you know, is mapped with many FS
>> shortcuts? (maybe I am going into too much details now...)
>>

> You will want voice commo for sure. It's easy to set up and the directions
> and files are available on the web sites.
>

>> Many thanks
>> Nkd
>
> Hope it helps
>
> --
>
> (Smiling) boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi nkd.

I can't answer the VA bits, but I can answer the online stuff from a
VATSIM point of view.

Quite a lot of our members use a 56k modem - the amount of information
that gets transmitted at any one time is quite small. But broadband is
more reliable, and cheaper, especially once you get hooked and spend hours
online!

Voice communication is by far the easiest. I find it very difficult to
fly and type at the same time as I'm definitely a right hander for both
the joystick and typing. If you need to type, you need to make sure that
pure letter keys are not mapped to anything, so for example use CTRL-<a>
rather than <a> for controlling your aircraft. The default settings are
fine, so it really only applies if you are using add-on programmes or have
been tweaking things.

regards

Ruth McTighe
Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK
www.vatsim.net
www.vatsim-uk.org

> *From:* Nkd <nkd@yahoo.com>
> *Date:* Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:08:10 +0200
>
> Do I have to have a DSL broadband connection, or the communication with
> ATC
> can go normally also through a 56K modem?
>
> If I understood correctly one can communicate with ATC by voice or by
> typing messages (if one is not experienced or have not trained ears).
> How does one type when the keyboard, as you know, is mapped with many FS
> shortcuts? (maybe I am going into too much details now...)

Thank you both. Just for clarification: when I first posted this questions
I didnt even understand the difference between a VA and VATSIM. Now I
joined Vatsim and things are getting more sense.

Nkd