Mother Board Reboots upon Windows boot up

cree031

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Just aquired a Elite Mobo from a friend. System reboots upon the windows start up screen. At the very same time every time, reboots itself? any suggestions on how to get the os to complete the boot up process?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Need more info.

What are your system specs??

Did you just get this new board, install it in your case, threw in the RAM and video card, plugged in the hard drives and hit the power switch without re-installing/repairing the OS???

cree031

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Please allow me to elaborate.

A week ago, my computer was working fine.
One day, it would no longer turn on.

Unable to resolve the issue, I aquired a new mobo and processor from a friend. The Processor is an AMD 3200.

I installed all the components (Vid card, RAM, etc.) into the new board.
The new board will now boot up and allow me to change bios settings and such but when it tries to boot the existing OS off of hd0 it freezes.

I attributed this to Micro$ofts wonderful product, and decided that a reinstallation was in order.

I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CDROM and restarted. The boot process begins from my Window$ XP CD and I anxiously anticipate my new OS's completed instalation.
I watch as the "Press F? to load 3rd party scusi drivers" rolls across the bottom of my screen and all of the other things that display down there until the point that it says "Setup is starting Windows".

At this point, the computer reboots.
I have tried 3 sticks of DDR RAM (1 of which was in my previous computer and worked fine) in both DIMM slots as well as having two in simultaneously. I have checked and rechecked the IDE cables, and have verified that all the jumpers are in fact set correctly.

I am using an AGP video card and the HD is an 80g drive if that makes any difference.

As a side note, I do have the HD set as primary master and the CDROM I am attempting to do the install from is set to secondary master.
The only thing I can think of that I have yet to try is to run them off the same IDE cable as primary and slave.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Ok, that's sorta a start. However, could you please post the motherboard, RAM and the hard drive specs as well.

This sounds like a possible hard drive issue. Does the motherboard recognize the hard drive in the BIOS correctly or at all??

I am also curious about your earlier problem, when it would no longer turn on. Is there anymore information you can provide on this???

forkart

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Just aquired a Elite Mobo from a friend. System reboots upon the windows start up screen. At the very same time every time, reboots itself? any suggestions on how to get the os to complete the boot up process?

Try to use magiciso to make bootable cd.
http://www.magiciso.com/