Can't account for 40GB used space

ender06

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My dad's computer has a 120GB hard drive. The drive reads with 87.8GB used, but when I do a manual inventory of the files, including hidden files, I only come up with only 47.5GB used. The hard drive is the main and only drive in the system, running Windows XP Pro x32 SP2. It is a Samsung SV1204H. The computer is an HP from the good 'ol Athlon XP days. The system has been sluggish for several weeks. I have run many defrags, virus scans, registry repairs, etc.

In my system, which has a 160GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive, I have roughly 6GB that I can not account for. 99.7 used, ~92 accounted for. Again, including hidden files and folders, and page file.

Please not that this used space is just that, used, where, and with what on it I do not know. This is not space missing post-format, but after several years' use.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Did you check the system restore area for that used space?

Just a WAG...

Mike.
I agree, that's the first place you should look!

My System Restore only goes up to 12%, but you never know...

You can run Disk Cleanup too, might clean up some files that you might not be able to see.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Actually, I believe the default System Restore area is 12%, so good idea (and it probably accounts for some), but keep looking. Might check your IE cache folders (C:Documents and SettingsUser NameLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.ie5). You will have to input the "Content.ie5" portion manually in your address bar in explorer to access the folder.

-J

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What about the 'System Volume Information'?

Isn't that the folder where system restore restores itself from?

I remember losing a lot of disk space once and even though SR was switched off there was still loads and loads of restore data in the 'System Volume Information' folder. You can access it with something like PartitionMagic file browser and I don't think it hurts to delete stuff.