Artifacts and damage

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
If I start to experience artifacts does this mean my GPU is actually breaking down or anything at a much higher rate? I am an experienced OCer and found how to OC the other 2 domains of my 7800 GTX GPU (requires an OC of the geometric domain that is so high the other 2 domains OC to the next preset, from 486 to 513mhz). I have the new Accelero X1 which has done wonders (Load OC(490/1320) only 61C on a 7800 GTX!) Well I just wanted to see the peformance boost from the other 2 domains but I artifact pretty bad once the temp passes 55-60C. If I ran at this new OC, say, though a 3dmark 06 benchmark would I risj serious damage or what?

trunks512

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
7800 gtx attain arficats very easily as the card is voltage starved
anything pasta 520 core and you should get artifacts.

also i find that 3dmark 03 the "nature" test is one of the best test for artifact

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Shards being extra rendering that shouldn't be there?

I occasionaly get lines with bright lite (not sure if it's HDR or what, happens in the Proxycon demo when you see the big guy with the gun firing up close)

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Nice Heatsink ;)

I'm going to try to overvolt the memory a bit by flashing the card if I can. Again, I realy don't NEED to push it, but it sure is fun :)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
No idea.
I was pushing my 9800SE really hard back then going from 1.60V stock to 1.912V for benchmarks. When I started going over 480Mhz(on core) I started getting flashing 'shards' and I knew this would probably damage the core if I kept on going.

www.maccrazy.net/9800

Hmmm.. when I unlock pipes I get like a blue static or white static of pixels in dark places on 3dmark 2001-2003.

When I push my core to 430 with pipes locked, I still get atifacts, like for example, when the dragon is coming up from the water, and jumps over that ballon ship.. heh

I usually see like sticks stickin out of the dragon. On the walls of the canon, I see lines, that look like burros for worms or something of the like. Kinda reminds me of that one game where you are a worm, and you bite you opponents tail, then your tail grows longer.

Anyhoo.. would that mean my 6800GS APG is starved @ 430?

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
So from the posts I have read changing some voltage settings could fix my problem? or does increasing voltage have no effect on how far you can OC and not experience artifacts? I actually has to drop back down to 485/1310 to get no artifacts what so ever (just got Black and White 2 and its very GPU dependant, solid 60C).

Also, how do I change volts? Is that in my mobo bios or what? I know CPU ocing much better, hehe.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You may be able to use "nibitor" to change your BIOS so it puts more V through the GPU. Last time I checked it didn't support my card though :cry: - so I've not used it myself.

Failing that, there's probably a hard mod available somewhere, but that would involve soldering a small variable resistor onto a couple of contact points on the back of the card, but that obviously is a bit more dangerous. That's how Wusy's 9800 is modified - you can see the additional short wire and VR in some of his pics.

I Vmodded my 9800Pro, but after running at 2V for a while it blew up :lol:... a precautionary tale if ever there was one.