Opteron Compatible Motherboards

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok im looking at these mobo's i want to put an opteron 144 on it, will it work?

-Crossfire
ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939
MSI RD480 Neo2-FI Socket 939

SLi
-Abit KN8 Sli
-DFI Infinity

if an opty 144 will work on these boards which would you recommend?

bloodstorm69

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I just barely built my computer 3 day's ago and i got the Opteron 144 with the Cab2e stepping and the motherboard i got was the DFI lanparty NF4 ultra-d, and let me tell you that opteron overclocks like crazy, took it from 1.8 to 2.6 on stock cooling and it doesnt break 50 C under load, it's just amazing.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
thats nice but i dont wanna pay to much for a mobo i prolly wont OC too much so maybe ill get an ASRock mobo their new one witch is SLi compatiable

so does anyone no if it will work on an ASRock DualX16 939 mobo?

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
opty 144 is socket 939 i wasnt sure if it would support thu cuz the manufactuerers dont say it will but they dont say it wont either

AFAIK, all 939's will work on any 939 mobo (whether or not BIOS recognizes it). I have read that AMD has required, by license, that opterons are only officially supported on opteron server MB's. They can work on other 939 boards, but the manufacturers can not officially support them there. Could be rumor, urban legend or just plain crap, but that's what I've read, and the manufacturers sure seem to support that position.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
well i dont really like the layout of the asus

what about the SLi mobo's?
Which part of the layout don't you like about the ASUS A8R32-MVP?
Yes, it carries the ASUS sh|t colour.

The a8r-mvp was the board in the original post. I will attest that layout of the slots on the ATI reference board (which means ALL the cross-fire boards) places one of the PCIE slots TOO close to the third pci slot. Some mobo's don't even have the third pci slot. The Asus board required a single graphics card to go in that slot (instead of the other with more room-a small bridge board goes in the other PCIE slot). Even a regular width card eliminated using the third pci slot.

Sidenote:
The DFI lanparty RDX-200 allows single graphics card in the other slot allowing all three pci slots to be used.