three monitors three cards

I'm running WinXP and have just installed 3
Rage XL cards (AtI PCI) two of the monitors
are working but the third is not.all drivers are
installed and there are no errors Under the Device
manager the only thing i can see different
on the card that is not working is when i go under
properties,then details it says that the
"Driver File" is Not Detected and
the Release Version is Not Detected. This card
is in the PCI Slot 1--- the cards that are
functioning are in slots
2 & 4.--- Just recently upgraded
to Service Pack 2dell dimension L1000R

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 03:29:02 -0700, jc kucera wrote:

> I'm running WinXP and have just installed 3
> Rage XL cards (AtI PCI) two of the monitors
> are working but the third is not.all drivers are
> installed and there are no errors Under the Device
> manager the only thing i can see different
> on the card that is not working is when i go under
> properties,then details it says that the
> "Driver File" is Not Detected and
> the Release Version is Not Detected. This card
> is in the PCI Slot 1--- the cards that are
> functioning are in slots
> 2 & 4.--- Just recently upgraded
> to Service Pack 2dell dimension L1000R

I'm not sure that you can use 3 monitors with 3 cards. I know that it can
be done by using cards designed for two or more monitors. If you visit
www.realtimesoft.com, you'll find a database that describes various
multiple monitor configurations that users have working with various
operating systems. Details will include what hardware they have used to
accomplish this.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

>I'm not sure that you can use 3 monitors with 3 cards. I know that it can
>be done by using cards designed for two or more monitors. If you visit
>www.realtimesoft.com, you'll find a database that describes various
>multiple monitor configurations that users have working with various
>operating systems. Details will include what hardware they have used to
>accomplish this.

I recently saw a post on another newsgroup from a user who had 2 quad
head video cards installed plus video integrated into the motherboard,
allowing him to use 9 monitors. He was encountering problems trying
to get a third quad head video card to work. Turns out the limit in
XP is 10 monitors.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 04:59:18 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

> I recently saw a post on another newsgroup from a user who had 2 quad
> head video cards installed plus video integrated into the motherboard,
> allowing him to use 9 monitors. He was encountering problems trying
> to get a third quad head video card to work. Turns out the limit in
> XP is 10 monitors.

Interesting, Ron. I've seen setups with two cards - multiples on each. But
never a system set with three cards or integrated video +2 cards. Appian
seems to be a leader in consumer cards that support more than 2 monitors:
http://www.appian.com/ I enjoy browsing their site and seeing the setups
they have dreamed up.

I use a multimonitor setup but only run with two monitors on one dualhead
card. Originally set this up for graphics work but have become very
accustomed to having the second monitor for "regular" work too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

> I'm not sure that you can use 3 monitors with 3 cards. I know that it can
> be done by using cards designed for two or more monitors. If you visit
> www.realtimesoft.com, you'll find a database that describes various
> multiple monitor configurations that users have working with various
> operating systems. Details will include what hardware they have used to
> accomplish this.

My system does this ok. It uses the built in Intel adapter on my mother
board plus two old PCI cards I bought for $8 to drive three monitors under XP
Home.

One concern is the adapter cards being used. XP appears to be twitchy about
what cards work with multiple adapters. Microsoft puts out a list of ones
they approve. My first attempt with Creative cards that I already had used
in a multiple setup with Win98SE failed under XP. When I bought the nVidia
TNT2 cards it worked ok. I have no experience with the Rage cards.

All I know for sure is that the configuration can be made to work.

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)