Sign in with
Your question

Record Satellite TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2006 2:56:11 AM

I am building a HTPC. I have Dish Network. I was wondering if there exists a card that records this signal. If not, can anyone suggest a tuner card that would accept the output from the Dish Network, which is a compsite out, and provide streaming video through the computer to the tv screen. I would like to record any programs I want though this set up.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot. :) 

More about : record satellite

March 18, 2006 1:55:23 PM

Anybody? 29 views and no thoughts? :cry: 
March 18, 2006 2:30:56 PM

Quote:
Anybody? 29 views and no thoughts? :cry: 

I have not seen such a product. I erronrously thought that the pending release of the CableCard would make it easy for cable users to get set up but last night I read that only "approved" boxes will be allowed to use CCs. Somebody needs to hack that limitation real fast. Certain aspects of this industry make me want to puke.
Related resources
March 18, 2006 2:53:20 PM

The only thing I can suggest is to use a standard tv tuner card. Put a 2 way RF splitter in the output of your receiver and send the new feed to your PC. Set your tuner to channel 3 (or 4 depending on your set up). I don't know if this will help. At least the advice is free.
March 18, 2006 2:56:15 PM

This is something I've also been researching and looking for. There seems to be a lack of anything on it on the web or in any groups. I do have a comp with an ATI 9600 AIW and feed it the composite video from my Dish reciver. It will record on the fly but the file sizes are HUGE! And now that its in the hard drive what do I do with it? If you find more on the subject plz post it up! Make me wonder if the MPAA has got something to do with it?? :roll:
DC
March 18, 2006 6:28:33 PM

I am going to have a dvd burner for the programs i wan to record. others, i am going to delete. how big are the file sizes?

thanks for the input guys. appreciate your help.
March 19, 2006 2:10:46 AM

The file size is very dependant on the format and resolution. If I max everythig out 10 to 12 gigs is typicial for a two hour program. Then, how does one cut out the commericails? Windows movie maker is a pain when working with files that big and I always ended up with a single file. I need to learn how to convert to .vob's.
Another thought and help me out here if I'm wrong. Sat TV is a digitial signal. The front end downconverts it 2.4 ghz to the box where the program is demodulated to mpg2 format. Yes? Is it possibile to capture that instaed of converting the composit video back to digitial to burn to a DVD?
March 20, 2006 6:02:14 PM

Hi,

There is a product called Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 and this claims that you can record TV from Satellite TV connection. This product comes with IR Blaster that controls your Satellite receiver.

I am also in the same boat. So I bought this product yesterday and not configured yet and trying to setup the IR Blaster and configuring the WinTV PVR 150 and my Satellite reciver box. Once I am successful , I will post more details to this forum.

If any one already went through this process, please post your experiences and procedure to setup IR Blaster and Satellite TV receiver.

Thanks,
March 20, 2006 10:32:28 PM

I am going to research this Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150, plz keep us informed of your progress! :lol: 
DC
March 21, 2006 12:03:16 PM

I have the Adaptec Dual TV Tuner AVC-3610 that came with my HP media center notebook and I have it hooked up to my DirecTV receiver and it works just fine. I dont know if it will record pay-per-view movies but it does work with all the movie channels. The file size for an hour show on best quality is about 3.5 gig.
March 21, 2006 10:45:48 PM

I have Dish Network too. Basically any capture card that you get has to work off the output of the Dish Network box. There is no other way, and Dish wants it that way. That tuner box is how they control what you are allowed to watch. Hook up your card directly to the feed coming off the dish antenna and you will either fry your card or just get nothing (haven't tried, but i know it won't work.)
Tuner cards require an analog feed like the one provided by the Dish box. There are digital tuners, but they only work with certain FTA (Free to Air) satellite channels and not the corporate networks like Dish or DirectTV.
Some cards come with an IR blaster that can be programmed to change the channel for you without needing 2 or 3 different remotes.
If you want to record TV and use your PC just like a DVR, check out some of the 3rd party software packages like BeyondTV. I have friends that swear by this.
Check out this all-in-one package that includes the tuner card, software, remote, and IR blaster (good price too):
http://store.snapstream.com/btv-pvr150.html

Oh, and try to get a tuner card that has hardware encoding(like the PVR-150 Hauppage or others.) That way you get smooth captures, and no dropped frames when Windows decides to let something else interrupt the cpu.
March 22, 2006 4:57:29 PM

I ordered the Happauge 350 tuner card. I will be getting it next week and will update when I install it. Its a pain to record satellite programs in the US as it is easier anywhere else, from what I read up.
March 28, 2006 8:16:05 PM

Got the Hauppauge 350 Card. I installed it and it works well. I can see satellite programs from the dish. I also tried recording and it works fine. I still have to play with the setting to reduce file sizes. But on the whole it seems to come together now. Thanks for the help guys. Appreacite every one of them. :D 
March 29, 2006 2:26:24 AM

For time shifting and the like sounds like you've got it worked out. Have you tried putting it to a DVD yet?
DC
March 30, 2006 6:32:21 PM

While trying to record, sometimes the program, wintv2000 that came with the video card, freezes for a couple of seconds and then begins recording. Same happens when I try to pause also. I am using the Hauppauge 350. Do any of you guys get this? Any tips on how to resolve this issue?

I have not tried burning them, or converting them into DVD formats yet. Just been a few days since I got all the components and got it working. Am planning on doing something this weekens.
March 30, 2006 7:27:22 PM

Hey Iridium,

IMO Wintv2000 is a couple of years behind what is really possible with such software. I bought a PVR-150 a couple of weeks back for cable TV after being introduced to a freeware package called GB-PVR. This program offers all the functionality of WinTV and then some (and looks infinitely better with a bunch of skins to choose from). Check out the website:
http://www.gbpvr.com/
Its basically one guy that creates the software so if it works for you please make a donation to him. The support forum is excellent and the opportunity to add several plugins is fantastic. I have had problems with the IR blaster included with my card not recognizing my digital cable box and am thus currently running with analog cable but the GBPVR package is great. Watch, pause, record live tv (including pausing live TV whilst recording without affecting the recording), play DVDs (even ISO files using Daemon toolz), access your own music and video collections, check weather and a whole lot more. As for the delays you describe, I get that a little too, but the recording starts ok and the pause responds immediately it just takes a second or two to kick in. Check you have the latest Hauppauge drivers & software installed though anyway.
The saved video files are mpeg and can be easily burnt to DVD - I use DVD movie factory 4 so that I can make them look nice and pretty! Whole process typically takes under an hour even with my antiquated PC (XP1700+) and an 8X DVD burner.
March 31, 2006 2:27:11 PM

Dekkard,

Thank you for your tips. I will give the software a try. Will post my progress.

Thanks. :) 
April 2, 2006 1:52:00 AM

hello,
could you please tell me how to configure gbpvr to accept satellite signals? I played with the settings and nothing seems to work. Could you tell me how you set youts up? I went through the instructions on the website, but it does not seem to help. Appreciate yout help.
April 4, 2006 9:46:34 PM

Hey Iridium,

Sorry to hear you are having probs. So, assuming you did go with GB-PVR I'll do my best to help you.....I don't have the program running here but I can take a look through this evening.

First, you need to install the latest software and drivers from Hauppauge (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_pvr250-3...) for your PVR350. Check that your Satellite receiver is listed in the supported models link.
Then run config exe file from your GBPVR installation. Not sure how far you have gotten in to this so I'll start from the beginning later. In the meantime, let me know how far you have gone into setting up - i.e. have you installed latest drivers, do you have GBPVR installed.
When I get home I'll write down the way to setup through your satellite input.
!