Mad Mod Mikes Pimping Challenge:

Can mike do it ?

• Mad Mod Mike can do anything !, He can do it, Come on mike !

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • There are sound and well documented reasons why he can not meet this challenge, even if he has the h

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006

- Build a 1/2-way (1 CPU socket only) system
- Using the Athlon 64 X2 or Opteron 100 series (Model 165 and up)
- Socket 939, or Socket 940
- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered

or

- Build a 2/4-way (2 CPU socket max) system
- Using Opteron 200 or 800 series (Either single core, or dual-core).
- Socket 940
- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered. However it is most likely going to be Registered at the very least for this style of system.

Then demonstrate that system performing:

:arrow: Reads faster than writes to system memory using over a 1 GB dataset in memory (his choice)

:arrow: Reading from system memory at 11 GB/sec without using NUMA (Just disable in the BIOS) using SANDRA 2005.SR3 (Benchmark breakdown records each sub-test seperately, so this is possible to extract from the test results).

================================================

Personally, I can not wait to see the results, as he should have this sort of hardware just lying around.

60 days to build said system should be ample, including delays on parts.

Come on Mike, you can do it 8)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered

or

- Socket 940
- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered. However it is most likely going to be Registered at the very least for this style of system.

:arrow: Reads faster than writes to system memory using over a 1 GB dataset in memory (his choice)

:arrow: Reading from system memory at 11 GB/sec without using NUMA (Just disable in the BIOS) using SANDRA 2005.SR3 (Benchmark breakdown records each sub-test seperately, so this is possible to extract from the test results).

Personally, I can not wait to see the results, as he should have this sort of hardware just lying around.

Good job in getting off fanboyism and moving straight to childish juvinilism...now you set the forums back ANOTHER 2 years...

BTW: When you posted "60 days to build said system should be ample," it's spelled "SED" in that context, not "SAID".

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
BTW: When you posted "60 days to build said system should be ample," it's spelled "SED" in that context, not "SAID".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sed

No, it appears my grammar is correct.

Normally if I make a mistake it'll be a single letter typo, like 'contract' or 'contrast' (two very different words). As 'c' and 's' are close to each other on the keyboard.

Still, as a news reporter (at least in this thread :p), what comments do you have regarding your latest challenge Mad Mod Mike ?

Surely you are so awesome as to be able to do this.

I'll just stick with my 2 x 6.4 GB NUMA nodes.

Damn it dude, 100% of voters think you can't do this. What do you have to say to those naysayers Mad Mod Mike ?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sed

No, it appears my grammar is correct.

Normally if I make a mistake it'll be a single letter typo, like 'contract' or 'contrast' (two very different words). As 'c' and 's' are close to each other on the keyboard.

Still, as a news reporter (at least in this thread :p), what comments do you have regarding your latest challenge Mad Mod Mike ?

Surely you are so awesome as to be able to do this.

I'll just stick with my 2 x 6.4 GB NUMA nodes.

What's more sad is you attempting to correct me...that won't be in a dictionary buddy. BTW, the more you post, the more I begin to wonder if you're like, 15 years old, or just a 30 yr old who tries to sound "cool" and "leet" on a forum...hmm..I should research this for an hour like you.

EDIT: It seems you have taken a personal vendetta against me, not sure why, as we both seem to support some common causes, but you're trying too hard to always be right...I sense a narcissistic personality, make sure to google that and check my posts for spelling. Thanks bud!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
So are you rejecting the challange Mad Mod Mike ?

You appear to be implying you do not want to pimp the worlds rigs one at a time... is this correct ?

Is this the end of Mad Mod Mike ?

Has the Intel Conroe performance affected your spirt towards pimping rigs in any way ?

You have indicated in other threads ( http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=999890 ) that this is possible Mad Mod Mike ?, are you now taking those words back ?, Do you feel taking posts back time after time, and editing them will have a negative impact on your character as a whole ?

Surely Mad Mod Mike knows what was in the previous thread ?, What do you want to say to all your fans regarding this ..... disturbing news Mike ?

Does it bother you that no-one voted for you in the polls ?, What is planned for your next campaign ?

Are you not aware Google is a search engine and not a spell-checker Mad Mod Mike ?

Please note I have nothing against your character, and I don't want this Mad Mod Mike exclusive to give the wrong impression.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
So are you rejecting the challange Mad Mod Mike ?

You appear to be implying you do not want to pimp the worlds rigs one at a time... is this correct ?

Is this the end of Mad Mod Mike ?

Has the Intel Conroe performance affected your spirt towards pimping rigs in any way ?

You have indicated in other threads ( http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=999890 ) that this is possible Mad Mod Mike ?, are you now taking those words back ?, Do you feel taking posts back time after time, and editing them will have a negative impact on your character as a whole ?

Surely Mad Mod Mike knows what was in the previous thread ?, What do you want to say to all your fans regarding this ..... disturbing news Mike ?

Does it bother you that no-one voted for you in the polls ?, What is planned for your next campaign ?

Wow...just pure wow...I gotta give more credit to Ycon, he doesn't play the "Sarcasm Extreme" role like you do, he just comes out and says "MMM, you're gay", which at least gets to the point, but rather you would go to google.com, amd.com, wikipedia.com, etc. and write me an essay like LTDATA does using tech docs that you probably don't understand half of it, your brain's going "W-T-F is this sh!t?! but I gotta get this out so I can beat MMM cuz he's so much better than me!" and you brain warps into millions of celeron processors that implode into each other and morph into something worth talking to...oooooo disssssss :roll:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
you not aware Google is a search engine and not a spell-checker Mad Mod Mike ?

Haha, you're wrong again. Type in an incorrect spelling and 9 times out of 10, it will ask you if you meant the real word :lol:.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
LOL for once im taking MadModmike's side. Get a Life and leave the technology that you pretend to understand to the PAID Professionals like myself and MMM " assumption ??"

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
LOL for once im taking MadModmike's side. Get a Life and leave the technology that you pretend to understand to the PAID Professionals like myself and MMM " assumption ??"

I wouldn't call anybody on these forums a professional. Professionals spend too much time managing networks and making money, rather than posting on forums how much more "l33t" they are than somebody else, as is the case with Tabris trying to best me, it's quite humorous.... I got a LAN party to go to in 6 hours and I haven't slept yet...grr....at least UPS arrived and I got my 4-Pin PSU Extender Cable so I can fit my 2nd PSU inside my case for all my fans, ^_^.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I find this post hilarious! (not support either side, just a fan of the bantering)
Kind of like those volkswagon commericals (that play here atleast) where they show the "wanna-be G's" with their hot "pimped" cars, then sie germans find some witty comment and way to destroy their car with a GTI

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=999890

Mike said he can do the stuff I am mentioning in this thread, in passing in the above thread ^, so now I am asking him to do it, and giving him 60 days to build said system above. (Mostly he is in control of the outcome of this thread, not me).

CAN HE PULL IT OFF ?

Or don't you two build enough systems between yourselves to benchmark just one ?

You claim to pimp rigs, now I want to see you do just that, pimp a rig.

What,.... now you claim you don't actually pimp rigs ?

Is Google so smart to correct spelling due to the fact that they are now using Opterons with NUMA ?, Mad Mod Mike what is your stance on Google using Opterons ?

We have some anonymous quotes come in from callers right now:

"He has never even built a Opteron 200 system with NUMA, not even one (that I can see on these forums, and he would've bragged about it anyway)." - Anonymous

"If people at AMD didn't document what they do, neither of you two would even have a company to be fanboys of. :roll: .No doubt you'll have some smart-ass remark about AMD documenting what they do next." - Anonymous

Mad Mod Mike, what do you have to say in response to these wild allegations ?

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

or

- Socket 940

humm... this thread should be awarded with "the most ridiculous, pointless intel fanboy being extremely childish thread of 2006".
hey man.. when people tell you to grow up, GROW UP! what you're doing right now is just defending your childishness.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Tabris WTH are you doing? Even I'm Not this Stupid to Start a Fourm on a Devoted member like Mad Mod Mike. Ok he's cool and all but Yo whats with this Fourm. I just changed my Look You like`~? LOL i dont give a damn if you dont.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Frankly most people regard childishness as saying you can do something, then not being able doing it.

That and believing the technically inaccurate. :p

(Looks up)

Yeah, Darth Vader is 'cool', except at the end of ep III.

That is a pretty hard challenge to meet. If you use DDR600 in dual-channel, you get 9.6GB/sec *total maximum* memory bandwidth. So you obviously can't get 11GB/sec out of it. Heck, you have to have memory with at least a speed of DDR688 or DDR2-688 assuming zero overhead.

I bet that most systems need at least DDR2-1000 to get 11GB/sec due to memory controller latencies, etc. I doubt that DDR2-800 would do it as it does have 12.8GB/sec in dual-channel mode, but the latencies and other would likely not let both reads and writes both hit 11GB/sec repeatedly.

So this is a physically impossibly test, at least for the single-socket arena. If NUMA is turned off, then the 2nd CPU in a dual rig can't aggregate memory from the first socket, so it is impossible with two sockets too.

When I first read the header, I thought, "Neat, MMM is throwing out a challenge to the forums. I wonder what Mike has in mind. At the very least, should be interesting."

But then, I read this and..WOW...what's up with this...c'mon Tabris...you must really have nothing better to do...I thought you were just a dumass after reading your posts in the thread about posting limits...but this, this has you officially promoted from dumass to douche bag!

It seems that Tabris does need a life and I say we take up a collection to get at least enough money to get him drunk and a girl for the night, or man...whichever Tabris prefers...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That is a pretty hard challenge to meet. If you use DDR600 in dual-channel, you get 9.6GB/sec *total maximum* memory bandwidth. So you obviously can't get 11GB/sec out of it. Heck, you have to have memory with at least a speed of DDR688 or DDR2-688 assuming zero overhead.

I bet that most systems need at least DDR2-1000 to get 11GB/sec due to memory controller latencies, etc. I doubt that DDR2-800 would do it as it does have 12.8GB/sec in dual-channel mode, but the latencies and other would likely not let both reads and writes both hit 11GB/sec repeatedly.

So this is a physically impossibly test, at least for the single-socket arena. If NUMA is turned off, then the 2nd CPU in a dual rig can't aggregate memory from the first socket, so it is impossible with two sockets too.

He meant it to insult me because I guess I said something mean to him by saying "Not meaning to insult you, but you don't know alot about Opteron 64's". That statement made him PMS.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006

Exactly..... finally someone with a brain.

Now, check what MMM claimed he could do in the thread I linked to above it, and will link again here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=999890
- I mean this is a computer / IT forum, so I was expecting the 1st or 2nd person (other than MMM) to notice this. Perhaps I give people too much credit. :roll:

As for the other replies "Think of me as you will, the Internet is virtual, and we are likely 1000km or more apart", just try not to get too annoyed with me, as I was just waiting for a brain (and one just walked in, his avatar sort of gives it away)... Still this thread is part comedy, part technical,... which is better than being 'all technical' (and ppl got annoyed at me for that, however I do have 'fan private messages' from a few ppl already). 8) (bling, bling). It isn't like we can physically hurt each other via this medium, if we could I'd never quit http://www.virtualbattlespace.com :wink:

PS: If you are serious about the free night out with booze and a girl, I am available. 8) :lol: :twisted: - hehehe

At least this thread doesn't really class as a personal attack, unlike someones posts .... 'parody' would be a more accurate term.

Point is, we can all get along, esp with my new Firefox plugin. 8)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Uhm..I actually DIDNT say I could do that, but since you're an incompetent narcissistic idiot, you think that.

"some Opteron 64 boards have 2 sets of DIMM's which give it 2 Memory Controllers effectively. That's another reason why Opties can bust out 11GB/s Memory Bandwidth @ DDR400" - That's what I said pal, and that isn't what you're saying..hm...pwneD? Yes sir, I believe you are.

You: "as I was just waiting for a brain. " - That's because you severly lack one of those, I would suggest going to your local Wal-Mart and buying one, I'm sure they're on Rollback.

"Last edited by TabrisDarkPeace on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total" - How come you go back and add a few more paragraphs of babbling nonsense to your posts after you finish? Are you that eager to get a post out to contradict me? Hmm..

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ignore him Mike; we all know Tabris is an idiot.

I realized that after I read a few posts and every...single...one....was...a....freakin...essay!!!! I can't stand these posters who write essays...are they just trying to sound cool or are they really thinking people read the entire post and are gonna give him a grade on a eSchool?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006

Have a long hard look at:

Quote me saying something obviously technically incorrect in that thread, then try doing the same for Mike.

I am just setting up filtering for the forum, that is all. :wink:

Far easier to quote Mike time and time again, perhaps because he rushes explanations, or didn't word things clearly the first time and it leads to confusion. He used a diagram, but I would like to see him use a white paper or tech doc from AMD once in a while too, and show his real passion for the company.

Got nothing against him, as I've already said, enjoy many of the threads he raises myself, and agree he has contributed to the forums in general, but I doubt the guy has ever read a TechDoc or WhitePaper from AMD in his life :p ..... and for someone with as much potential, and and such a large supporter of AMD, I find that to be a shame. He could get a job at AMD just with his passion alone.... just surprised he doesn't.

That's all.

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
TabrisDarkPeace ... whoa man, way to be gay. So he doesnt copy his info from amd.com and sit there hours reading stuff that in the end doesnt matter. You need to read less and read more... as said by mike :p

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Have a long hard look at:

Quote me saying something obviously technically incorrect in that thread, then try doing the same for Mike.

I am just setting up filtering for the forum, that is all. :wink:

Far easier to quote Mike time and time again, perhaps because he rushes explanations, or didn't word things clearly the first time and it leads to confusion. He used a diagram, but I would like to see he use a white paper or tech doc from AMD once in a while too, and show his real passion for the company.

Got nothing against him, as I've already said, enjoy many of the threads he raises myself, and agree he has contributed to the forums in general, but I doubt the guy has ever read a TechDoc or WhitePaper from AMD in his life :p ..... and for someone with as much potential, and and such a large supporter of AMD, I find that to be a shame. He could get a job at AMD just with his passion alone.... just surprised he doesn't.

That's all.

Jesus you're a moron :roll:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
TabrisDarkPeace ... whoa man, way to be gay. So he doesnt copy his info from amd.com and sit there hours reading stuff that in the end doesnt matter. You need to read less and read more... as said by mike :p

It's "Read Less, Learn More" :p but it's good to have people who aren't stuck-up narcissistic morons on these forums (Have you looked that up on Google yet Tabris? Make sure I spelled it correctly and I used it in the right context?). I didn't mean to insult Tabris, which I EXPLICITLY SAID "I don't mean to insult you, but ..." and he can't take a friendly debate, but rather turns it into his narcissistic posting.