Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

desktop wallpaper question

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:48:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

hi.

for some strange reason, all of a sudden all my image
files in the 'my pictures' folder is available in the
selection box as a desktop wallpaper. before this
happened, it only looked at the c:\wINDOWS\web\wallpaper
folder for images (i prefer it this way). i have more
than 100 images in the 'my pictures' folder so windows
shouldn't be looking there for images. how can i revert
back to windows only looking at the
c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder for desktop wallpapers?

kind regards,
thomas

ps/ please don't advise on using sys restore since i
cleared it already. yikes! :p 
September 3, 2004 3:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Thomas. Now that is interesting. I had exactly the same happen to me the
other day. I went to some website (TopThemes I think it was). They had a
themes manager program I downloaded and it buzzed a round my hard drive, and
a bit later I noticed all my "My Pictures" were also appearing in XP's
wallpaper viewer. Out of desperation I uninstalled the theme manager and ran
Easycleaner's registry cleaner utility and that seemed to deal with the
problem and put things back the way they were before. All I can say, maybe
someone else knows more. :)  Albert.

"thomasthomas" wrote:

> hi.
>
> for some strange reason, all of a sudden all my image
> files in the 'my pictures' folder is available in the
> selection box as a desktop wallpaper. before this
> happened, it only looked at the c:\wINDOWS\web\wallpaper
> folder for images (i prefer it this way). i have more
> than 100 images in the 'my pictures' folder so windows
> shouldn't be looking there for images. how can i revert
> back to windows only looking at the
> c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder for desktop wallpapers?
>
> kind regards,
> thomas
>
> ps/ please don't advise on using sys restore since i
> cleared it already. yikes! :p 
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 5:15:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 04:48:34 -0700, thomasthomas wrote:

> hi.
>
> for some strange reason, all of a sudden all my image
> files in the 'my pictures' folder is available in the
> selection box as a desktop wallpaper. before this
> happened, it only looked at the c:\wINDOWS\web\wallpaper
> folder for images (i prefer it this way). i have more
> than 100 images in the 'my pictures' folder so windows
> shouldn't be looking there for images. how can i revert
> back to windows only looking at the
> c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder for desktop wallpapers?
>
> kind regards,
> thomas
>
> ps/ please don't advise on using sys restore since i
> cleared it already. yikes! :p 

This is normal for XP. You can move the pictures out of My Pictures and to
another folder to remove them from the wallpaper list.

To retain options convenient when working with images, customize the folder
that you moved the images to. Right click the icon for the folder and
select Properties. Click the Customize tab and select one of the picture
options from the drop down box.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

thanx sharon for the suggestion. but... i'm sorta anal
about where stuff is on my compuker so i don't wanna move
the images out of the my pictures folder and put it
elsewhere. i like to keep images where
they're 'supposed' to be, in the my pictures folder. :) 
there has to be some registry setting that i can alter to
make windows only look where i want it to. any
suggestions?

thanx!


>-----Original Message-----
>On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 04:48:34 -0700, thomasthomas wrote:
>
>> hi.
>>
>> for some strange reason, all of a sudden all my image
>> files in the 'my pictures' folder is available in the
>> selection box as a desktop wallpaper. before this
>> happened, it only looked at the
c:\wINDOWS\web\wallpaper
>> folder for images (i prefer it this way). i have more
>> than 100 images in the 'my pictures' folder so windows
>> shouldn't be looking there for images. how can i
revert
>> back to windows only looking at the
>> c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder for desktop wallpapers?
>>
>> kind regards,
>> thomas
>>
>> ps/ please don't advise on using sys restore since i
>> cleared it already. yikes! :p 
>
>This is normal for XP. You can move the pictures out of
My Pictures and to
>another folder to remove them from the wallpaper list.
>
>To retain options convenient when working with images,
customize the folder
>that you moved the images to. Right click the icon for
the folder and
>select Properties. Click the Customize tab and select
one of the picture
>options from the drop down box.
>
>--
>Sharon F
>MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>.
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:10:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:11:30 -0700, thomasthomas wrote:

> thanx sharon for the suggestion. but... i'm sorta anal
> about where stuff is on my compuker so i don't wanna move
> the images out of the my pictures folder and put it
> elsewhere. i like to keep images where
> they're 'supposed' to be, in the my pictures folder. :) 
> there has to be some registry setting that i can alter to
> make windows only look where i want it to. any
> suggestions?
>
> thanx!

The bad news: This is how XP is designed to work. It will also draw on the
My Pictures folder for the My Pictures screensaver.

The good news: You can try moving images that you won't use for wallpaper
into subfolders. This should remove those items from the wallpaper list. If
you happen to select one of those images for wallpaper, the subfolder
images may return.

I "broke" My Pictures a while back and no longer see the images listed in
Display> Wallpaper. What I did was move My Documents to a folder on another
drive using the Move button found in My Documents' properties. During the
process, I was prompted about what to do with various My* subfolders and
allowed those to be moved as well - keeping the original structure and all
of my "saves" still default to My Documents, My Pictures, etc but as I've
already mentioned, the images are not added to the wallpaper list.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
!