PCIE-SLI-AGP From Current Setup

bigcowboysfan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I am trying to decide if I should upgrade now (and if so, which way to go) or wait a while. I am running a 6600 GT, which I can move down to the next pc (3 others-one for each kid) so I don't have to worry about the compounded loss of sticking the replaced card in a box in the closet to catch dust, or sit on it trying to sell it. I have been reading that PCIE is the way to go, but I hate to spend the money on a new MB as I just bought this 64MB. PC2 also has 64 gigabyte MB, but I only have 2-64 processors, so it will be a complete loss to replace this board I bought a month or so ago, unless I want to invest in a 64 chip for PC3, which I don't at this time (but I could store the board for later). I have a 20.1 Dell LCD that runs 1600x1200/60 so I thought possibly SLI will allow me to run the newest games at higher res but at what cost looking at my current setup below? Is PCIE that much better at this point? Or is AGP fine for now, and PCIE will make a lot of difference a year from now? Basically, I want to upgrade (as we always do) but I do have a budget, and I am not sure if right now is the time to do it. I would appreciate anyones suggested upgrade strategy from what I currently have.
Thanks

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
To run SLI you will need to get another motherboard as sli is pci-e only.

If you want to run the latest games at high at the high resolution your monitor supports you are going to need a high end card such as a 7900 or a x1900xt. These cards are only available on pci-e so that would involve a new motherboard as well.

The best agp card you can get is the 7800gs wich will struggle with those high reses and good eye candy turned on.

SLI is nice if your not on a budget but remember 2 x cheap cards will be outperformed by one of the next model up. So 2x6600gt will be beaten by a 6800gt and will be destroyed by one 7800gt.

I think PCI-e is the way to go as new chigh end cards are no longer made for AGP. Your monitor is going to be demanding on any graphics card with eye candy on so you will need a high end card.

If your not a serious gamer or cna live without turning on HDR and full AA a 7800gs may surfice and get you through another year on AGP. If you want the best of every thing PCI-e is the only way to go and PCI-e is the future there will come a point where you will have to change.

"SLI is nice if your not on a budget but remember 2 x cheap cards will be outperformed by one of the next model up."

Can anyone name a single game where a single $500-$550 7900GTX outperforms an SLI 7900 pair? :)

bigcowboysfan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
So if I was to get another 6600gt oc, I can get for 120, and then the sli MB, would that be better than buying a single 7900 for 400 dollars?
I think I would like the higher resolutions, but is 1600x1200 really that much better than 1280x1024 or 1024x768?
This should be the determing factor when going to PCIE or SLI with the larger LCD I think.
Thoughts?....

bigcowboysfan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I could also get the BFG 7800 GS OC AGP for 232.99, and keep my MB.

If I go PCIE I can get the PNY 7800 GT for 294.60, but then upgrade the MB, adding another 120 or so to my price.

I know I will upgrade to PCIE at some point, but I want to see if there is better bang for my buck right now, and then maybe in a year upgrade to PCIE.
Thanks again for all your suggestions