Please Advise - To flash or not to flash?

Brad2thebone

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Hello,
Yesterday, I installed a new vid card in a PIII system running Win98.
Upon start-up the system stopped at verify DMI pool settings.
I noticed Irq conflicts so entered setup and attempted to change settings.
I believe I botched things up :oops: .
Is it possible to repair this by flashing the BIOS and resetting cmos, or can I find a resource to show me how to reset settings manually?
Thanks for your time.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Flashing the bios will not fix it.

How many expansion cards do you have?

I think the best way to resolve IRQ conflicts, is basically, take all the cards out that you have installed.

One by one place them in, starting with the video card.

Boot to windows, then shut down, install the next, in that process, you should be able to adjust IRQ manually, if PnP has problems.

Also that way, the cards will adjust to what IRQs are availble by the bios PnP. You may need to reinstall drivers for each card.

Hope that helps.

Brad2thebone

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Hi,
Thanks- network card, sound card, vid card.
I put original vid card back in.
Irq conflicts not the most important issue now.
I'm wondering how to restore Bios settings.
If I didn't make myself clear before, I really botched up settings!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I wasn't sure if you bloch up the settings in windows or bios.

There are 2 different ways of resetting the bios.

When you enter the bios, there should be something on the screen to hit a button, example "F10" to set all default setting for that page. You would have to do it to each page that you messed around with.

If there isn't a key to used to reset the page/screen on it, then you can reset the bios setting by reading your MB manual.

Its basically a jumper setting, near the battery, where you switch the jumper for 3 sec. This will reset everything. You will need to put in the time and date correctly, unless you know windows is setup to sync the time and date on startup.

You may still have problems if your cards are taking an IRQ that another device wants. I think it would be best if you take your time and install each card one at a time.