FS9 Freezes - Please Help!

I have been running FS9 without problem for about a year. Recently I
purchased a new joy stick and installed it in the USB port after removing
the previous joystick from the game port. Immediately started having
problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
removed the new joystick and returned to the old.

Now whenever I fly the program locks up after about 5 minutes of flight.
Just completely locks the computer. No alt-ctrl-del, nothing.

I then tried installing my older version of FS98. Same exact problem.

Can someone please suggest some possible remedies, things to check, etc.

I am grounded.

Thanks for your help!

In article <bW8oe.13521$M36.4161@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
kellielabs@mindspring.com says...
> I have been running FS9 without problem for about a year. Recently I
> purchased a new joy stick and installed it in the USB port after removing
> the previous joystick from the game port. Immediately started having
> problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
> removed the new joystick and returned to the old.
>
> Now whenever I fly the program locks up after about 5 minutes of flight.
> Just completely locks the computer. No alt-ctrl-del, nothing.
>
> I then tried installing my older version of FS98. Same exact problem.
>
> Can someone please suggest some possible remedies, things to check, etc.
>
> I am grounded.
>
> Thanks for your help!

What operating system are you running. If it is XP, you might try
backing up to a previous checkpoint. Select Start/Help and Support/
Undo changes.

"Kellielabs" <kellielabs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have been running FS9 without problem for about a year. Recently I
> purchased a new joy stick and installed it in the USB port after removing
> the previous joystick from the game port. Immediately started having
> problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
> removed the new joystick and returned to the old.
>
> Now whenever I fly the program locks up after about 5 minutes of flight.
> Just completely locks the computer. No alt-ctrl-del, nothing.
>
> I then tried installing my older version of FS98. Same exact problem.
>
> Can someone please suggest some possible remedies, things to check, etc.
>
> I am grounded.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Chris and Dallas probably solved the problem, but here are a couple of
additional things to check:

When you disconnected your old joystick, did you: officially "uninstall" it;
physically unplug it; reboot the PC; then, plug in the new USB stick, select
the new joystick in FS (after USB recognition) and re-program FS for the new
stick?

I know that it's basic stuff, but it is still 7 steps for a totally clean
replacement. Perhaps, like most of us, your computer might have missed a
step.

BTW, as aforementioned, a simple system restore to an earlier date is a
quick fix if you're using XP.

Hope this helps.

"Kellielabs" <kellielabs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have been running FS9 without problem for about a year. Recently I
>purchased a new joy stick and installed it in the USB port after removing
>the previous joystick from the game port. Immediately started having
>problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
>removed the new joystick and returned to the old.
>
> Now whenever I fly the program locks up after about 5 minutes of flight.
> Just completely locks the computer. No alt-ctrl-del, nothing.
>
> I then tried installing my older version of FS98. Same exact problem.
>
> Can someone please suggest some possible remedies, things to check, etc.
>
> I am grounded.
>
> Thanks for your help!

In the distant past, I had conflicts between USB ports, onboard sound cards,
and PCI sound (W98 v.1 and a VIA chipset MB). What solved things in those
instances was making sure I disabled any onboard device that wasn't needed.
Temporarily, you might set your BIOS' PCI slot device detection settings to
AUTO. You might also look in the device master to check for DMA/IRQ
conflicts with the USB joystick (HID). Beyond that, a stroll through the
BIOS setup screens in general couldn't hurt.

Good Luck.

dallas

"Kellielabs"
> problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
> removed the new joystick and returned to the old.
> I then tried installing my older version of FS98. Same exact problem.

Recent occurrence of problem = recent changes as cause.
Two different programs = same problem = not Flight Sim program
Locking up strongly indicates graphics card problem.

I suspect your graphics card or processor is overheating.

Assuming you live in this hemisphere, is the temperature of the room warming
up as summer approaches?

Check the vents for dust blockages. Take the cover off and look inside for
dust accumulation on components. Turn system on and check *all* of the fans
(processor, graphics card...). Leave the cover off and run it to see if
you can recreate the lock up. - If it does not lock up you have an
overheating problem.

Dallas

"Kellielabs" <kellielabs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have been running FS9 without problem for about a year. Recently I
> purchased a new joy stick and installed it in the USB port after removing
> the previous joystick from the game port. Immediately started having
> problems with the computer locking up during set up, flight, etc. so I
> removed the new joystick and returned to the old.

Is it a Saitek X45? I had to disable hyperthreading in my bios in order to
prevent lock-ups occuring when I have the X45 plugged in. It seems that
Saitek's USB driver has issues with a hyperthreading CPU enabled.

Si