ME

After installing SP2 from the MS provided CD, why isn't there any
record of it in
"View Installation History"

Gordon

"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> After installing SP2 from the MS provided CD, why isn't there any
> record of it in
> "View Installation History"

If you are looking at History on Widows Updates, then no, there won't be.
That History only records updates installed *through Windows Update*,
therefore updates installed from CD won't appear.

ME

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:02 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid>
wrote:

>"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> After installing SP2 from the MS provided CD, why isn't there any
>> record of it in
>> "View Installation History"
>
>If you are looking at History on Widows Updates, then no, there won't be.
>That History only records updates installed *through Windows Update*,
>therefore updates installed from CD won't appear.
It's what I guessed, but it's a silly implementation.
Somewhere in the automatic update system it knows that SP2 is
installed.

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:02 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> After installing SP2 from the MS provided CD, why isn't there any
>>> record of it in
>>> "View Installation History"
>>
>>If you are looking at History on Widows Updates, then no, there won't be.
>>That History only records updates installed *through Windows Update*,
>>therefore updates installed from CD won't appear.
> It's what I guessed, but it's a silly implementation.
> Somewhere in the automatic update system it knows that SP2 is
> installed.

Actually what we can tell about your PC when you run a Windows Update scan
(or Automatic Update) is we can tell that your system does not need the SP2
patch- this is NOT the same as knowing you have applied the SP2.
There is a subtly difference here - Windows Updates scans your PC to see
what updates you need, not how your PC got to the state you are in now. So
the installation of SP2 WILL appear under Add or Remove Programs, but NOT
as an update you installed via Windows Update (since you did not do it that
way anyway)
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:

> "me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:02 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>>If you are looking at History on Widows Updates, then no, there won't be.
>>>That History only records updates installed *through Windows Update*,
>>>therefore updates installed from CD won't appear.
>>
>>It's what I guessed, but it's a silly implementation.
>>Somewhere in the automatic update system it knows that SP2 is
>>installed.
>

> Actually what we can tell about your PC when you run a Windows Update scan
> (or Automatic Update) is we can tell that your system does not need the SP2
> patch- this is NOT the same as knowing you have applied the SP2.
> There is a subtly difference here - Windows Updates scans your PC to see
> what updates you need, not how your PC got to the state you are in now. So
> the installation of SP2 WILL appear under Add or Remove Programs, but NOT
> as an update you installed via Windows Update (since you did not do it that
> way anyway)

Frankly, Mike, this doesn't make any sense. I understand the
distinction you're making, but the logic behind the strategy fails given
that:
A) MS believes everyone running XP should install SP2 and,
B) the algorithm you describe can verify that a given user doesn't need
it so it follows that
C) A user who doesn't need it must have it already.

So there's still no good reason why the Update site shouldn't be able
to tell people what they have and what they don't, or at least include
something that says, especially in the case of service packs, "If this
scan doesn't say you need it, you have it already."

ME

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:04:00 +0100, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]"
<mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:02 +0100, "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>If you are looking at History on Widows Updates, then no, there won't be.
>>>That History only records updates installed *through Windows Update*,
>>>therefore updates installed from CD won't appear.
>> It's what I guessed, but it's a silly implementation.
>> Somewhere in the automatic update system it knows that SP2 is
>> installed.
>
>Actually what we can tell about your PC when you run a Windows Update scan
>(or Automatic Update) is we can tell that your system does not need the SP2
>patch- this is NOT the same as knowing you have applied the SP2.
>There is a subtly difference here - Windows Updates scans your PC to see
>what updates you need, not how your PC got to the state you are in now. So
>the installation of SP2 WILL appear under Add or Remove Programs, but NOT
>as an update you installed via Windows Update (since you did not do it that
>way anyway)

O.K. I can accept that.
Thanks for answer.

ME

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:45:08 -0500, Herb Fritatta <Herb@dontspam.com>
wrote:

>So there's still no good reason why the Update site shouldn't be able
>to tell people what they have and what they don't, or at least include
>something that says, especially in the case of service packs, "If this
>scan doesn't say you need it, you have it already."

It's what they call a "feature" :)

I am interested to see what's listed after the next update.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I have updated SP2 from CD and it shows the update installation history in
the status column, but as canceled? I tried this twice with the same result,
In addition my internet speed has dropped from 40Kbps to 33Kbps, any reason
for this?

"me" wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:45:08 -0500, Herb Fritatta <Herb@dontspam.com>
> wrote:
>

> >So there's still no good reason why the Update site shouldn't be able
> >to tell people what they have and what they don't, or at least include
> >something that says, especially in the case of service packs, "If this
> >scan doesn't say you need it, you have it already."
> >

> It's what they call a "feature" :)
>
> I am interested to see what's listed after the next update.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

SP-2 does not appear in my update history. However when right clicking on my
computer and properties SP-2 is there.