Extra Graphics card

I have just been given an nVidia Geoforce 4MX 420 card. I have a spare PCI
slot. Does anyone know whether I can arrange to get four monitors working by
adding this to my Parhelia?
I ask, merely to save myself the trouble of taking the back off my machine
as it is getting increasingly difficult messing about behind desks with my
arthritis and variolens spectacles, not to mention Phillips screwdrivers
which get lost :-)

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
8 answers Last reply
More about extra graphics card

    I don't believe you can run to cards. They would conflict with each
    other. You will have to select one or the other. There is a way to run
    more than two monitors. I don't know how. I believe if you search some
    tech show archives or other related sites you'll find the info you
    need. I've seen 6 monitors run at once. But I don't know how they did
    it. They might be using a combination of software and hardware to do
    it. Good luck.

    I run FS2004 with 3 video cards. The main card is a NVidia GForce FX
    5600XT which uses the AGP slot. I use this for my front view. the other
    two are old Matrox Mystique cards that utilise PCI slots. These can
    only be used for 2D panels. You simply drag the panel onto the other
    window. I usually use one for FS Navigator and the othe for the
    instrument panel of the Aircraft I have chosen.
    When you put the cards in the PCI slot, Windows XP may recognise your
    card and install the necessary drivers, if not install them manually.
    Make sure that you tick the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this
    monitor" option in the Display Properties Window..... I hope this
    helps!!

    Pete wrote:
    > I run FS2004 with 3 video cards. The main card is a NVidia GForce FX
    > 5600XT which uses the AGP slot. I use this for my front view. the
    > other two are old Matrox Mystique cards that utilise PCI slots. These
    > can only be used for 2D panels. You simply drag the panel onto the
    > other window. I usually use one for FS Navigator and the othe for the
    > instrument panel of the Aircraft I have chosen.
    > When you put the cards in the PCI slot, Windows XP may recognise your
    > card and install the necessary drivers, if not install them manually.
    > Make sure that you tick the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this
    > monitor" option in the Display Properties Window..... I hope this
    > helps!!
    Thaanks Pete,

    I may summon up the energy to try. The problem is where to put a third great
    CRT. I wish I could affore flat screens!

    --
    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Yep !.... The CRT's sure are a problem. My wife goes mad every time she
    walks past my setup, likening them to the screens at a rock concert!
    Seriously though....Go for the extra card, when you can put your
    instument panel out of the way from the front view it opens up a much
    better level of realism and the uninterrupted view also helps during
    those tricky landings!

    Regards, Pete

    writerz01 wrote:
    > I don't believe you can run to cards. They would conflict with each
    > other. You will have to select one or the other. There is a way to run
    > more than two monitors. I don't know how. I believe if you search some
    > tech show archives or other related sites you'll find the info you
    > need. I've seen 6 monitors run at once. But I don't know how they did
    > it. They might be using a combination of software and hardware to do
    > it. Good luck.

    It is possible to run any number of screens, but usually after four, I think
    you need to go over to usinfgmore computers and link them up with Wide View.
    For general interest, I have just been informed by the Max Vista people that
    there is a new upgrade which will allow you to extend to as many screens as
    you like using their software. I shall try out the second card after the
    encouragement here :-)

    --

    Quilljar wrote:
    I have just been informed by the Max Vista people that
    > there is a new upgrade which will allow you to extend to as many screens as
    > you like using their software. I shall try out the second card after the
    > encouragement here :-)

    Did the Maxivista people say you can now run more than one monitor on a
    single computer, or do you still have to have a separate computer for
    each monitor. Also, can MaxiVista run a "view" on a separate monitor?
    The Demo version instructions state that you cannot and when I tried,
    the frame rate dropped to 1 or 2 per sec.

    --

    (Smiling) boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    > Did the Maxivista people say you can now run more than one monitor on
    > a single computer, or do you still have to have a separate computer
    > for each monitor. Also, can MaxiVista run a "view" on a separate
    > monitor? The Demo version instructions state that you cannot and when
    > I tried, the frame rate dropped to 1 or 2 per sec.

    Rather thaan put my interpretation on it .Have a look at what they say,

    http://www.maxivista.com/new.htm

    --

    Quilljar wrote:
    >>Did the Maxivista people say you can now run more than one monitor on
    >>a single computer, or do you still have to have a separate computer
    >>for each monitor. Also, can MaxiVista run a "view" on a separate
    >>monitor? The Demo version instructions state that you cannot and when
    >>I tried, the frame rate dropped to 1 or 2 per sec.
    >

    > Rather thaan put my interpretation on it .Have a look at what they say,
    >
    > http://www.maxivista.com/new.htm

    Thanks Q. It looks like the "Pro" Version is the way to go. According
    to the list of benefits the Pro Version supports Extended Screen AND
    Support for up to 3 secondary PC's which means I could run my P133, my
    P200 and my P100 Laptop.

    Std Pro Mirror Pro

    Extended Screen Yes Yes Yes

    Remote Control No Yes Yes