Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed

Tags:
  • VPN
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
May 17, 2005 12:03:59 AM

In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
errors:
1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
with XP.
then
2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
then..
3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...

I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
above , but still received #1 & #3.

Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
Windows Firewall off.

I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
directory. So I was unable to go furhter.

Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
using Control Panel - add Remove programs.

My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.

Please help & much thanks!

Tim

More about : installation contivity vpn client driver failed

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:01:49 PM

Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
does NOT support domain access

On 16 May 2005 20:03:59 -0700, "tim" <tim8292@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
>errors:
>1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
>Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
>with XP.
>then
>2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
>then..
>3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...
>
>I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
>4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
>above , but still received #1 & #3.
>
>Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
>really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
>can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
>Windows Firewall off.
>
>I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
>uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
>Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
>prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
>directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
>
>Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
>dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
>registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
>using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
>
>My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
> I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.
>
>Please help & much thanks!
>
>Tim
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:59:01 AM

Tim stated that, although he is installing on his 'home' pc, his OS is WinXP
Pro, which does indeed support domain access and other required networking
pieces.

My suggestion is to install the Contivity software to another folder and/or
another machine, in order to get a total inventory of what the .cab files
are installing and where. Perhaps your IT guys can provide this. Then, with
that list of files in hand, manually search and destroy each and every
installed file, then restart and make sure all your network settings are
still working properly before installing again.

As many on this newsgroup can attest, installing any VPN client software can
really become a nasty mess when things don't happen exactly as they should.
Things can go so wrong that your entire OS gets hosed and has to be
reinstalled. Fortunately, unbinding, uninstalling and reinstalling NIC
drivers and sometimes other components often remedies the situation too.

Just proceed slowly and thoroughly, and you should get through this
otherwise unscathed. Good luck.

<davidl@yourmama.com> wrote in message
> Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
> does NOT support domain access
>
> On 16 May 2005 20:03:59 -0700, "tim" <tim8292@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
> >errors:
> >1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
> >Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
> >with XP.
> >then
> >2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
> >then..
> >3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...
> >
> >I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
> >4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
> >above , but still received #1 & #3.
> >
> >Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
> >really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
> >can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
> >Windows Firewall off.
> >
> >I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
> >uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
> >Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
> >prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
> >directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
> >
> >Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
> >dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
> >registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
> >using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
> >
> >My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
> > I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.
> >
> >Please help & much thanks!
> >
> >Tim

Related resources
May 25, 2005 1:22:07 AM

Would installing Contivity on a Win XP Home machine cause the machine to be
non-functional? I have a Contivity client that uses Fiberlink Global Remote
and whenever I install the package, all of the system resources are used up
and I can run nothing. Until I saw this message, I was thinking that there
was an incompatibility with the Athlon 64.

I previously ran these older versions if these packages on a P3 running
WindowsME with no problem.

"J. McGoggin" <johnmcgoggin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
>> >Windows Firewall off.
>> >
>> >I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
>> >uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
>> >Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
>> >prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
>> >directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
>> >
>> >Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
>> >dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
>> >registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
>> >using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
>> >
>> >My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
>> > I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:54:02 PM

Can't say for sure, but it seems *much* more likely a compatibility issue
with XP Home or your other netwokring components than with Athlon. After
all, Microsoft doesn't support any kind of serious WAN networking with XP
Home.

"Dan" <D_Baran@msn.com> wrote in message
> Would installing Contivity on a Win XP Home machine cause the machine to
be
> non-functional? I have a Contivity client that uses Fiberlink Global
Remote
> and whenever I install the package, all of the system resources are used
up
> and I can run nothing. Until I saw this message, I was thinking that there
> was an incompatibility with the Athlon 64.
>
> I previously ran these older versions if these packages on a P3 running
> WindowsME with no problem.
>
> "J. McGoggin" <johnmcgoggin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tim stated that, although he is installing on his 'home' pc, his OS is
> > WinXP
> > Pro, which does indeed support domain access and other required
networking
> > pieces.
> >
> > My suggestion is to install the Contivity software to another folder
> > and/or
> > another machine, in order to get a total inventory of what the .cab
files
> > are installing and where. Perhaps your IT guys can provide this. Then,
> > with
> > that list of files in hand, manually search and destroy each and every
> > installed file, then restart and make sure all your network settings are
> > still working properly before installing again.
> >
> > As many on this newsgroup can attest, installing any VPN client software
> > can
> > really become a nasty mess when things don't happen exactly as they
> > should.
> > Things can go so wrong that your entire OS gets hosed and has to be
> > reinstalled. Fortunately, unbinding, uninstalling and reinstalling NIC
> > drivers and sometimes other components often remedies the situation too.
> >
> > Just proceed slowly and thoroughly, and you should get through this
> > otherwise unscathed. Good luck.
> >

> > <davidl@yourmama.com> wrote in message
> >> Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
> >> does NOT support domain access

May 26, 2005 2:20:07 AM

Does anyone know what kind of check I can do to determine if the problem is
related to the networking components rather than the OS? I would happily
upgrade the OS if I knew that would solve my problem.

!