Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed

In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
errors:
1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
with XP.
then
2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
then..
3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...

I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
above , but still received #1 & #3.

Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
Windows Firewall off.

I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
directory. So I was unable to go furhter.

Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
using Control Panel - add Remove programs.

My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.

Please help & much thanks!

Tim
5 answers Last reply
More about installation contivity client driver failed

    Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
    does NOT support domain access

    On 16 May 2005 20:03:59 -0700, "tim" <tim8292@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
    >errors:
    >1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
    >Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
    >with XP.
    >then
    >2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
    >then..
    >3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...
    >
    >I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
    >4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
    >above , but still received #1 & #3.
    >
    >Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
    >really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
    >can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
    >Windows Firewall off.
    >
    >I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
    >uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
    >Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
    >prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
    >directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
    >
    >Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
    >dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
    >registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
    >using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
    >
    >My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
    > I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.
    >
    >Please help & much thanks!
    >
    >Tim

    Tim stated that, although he is installing on his 'home' pc, his OS is WinXP
    Pro, which does indeed support domain access and other required networking
    pieces.

    My suggestion is to install the Contivity software to another folder and/or
    another machine, in order to get a total inventory of what the .cab files
    are installing and where. Perhaps your IT guys can provide this. Then, with
    that list of files in hand, manually search and destroy each and every
    installed file, then restart and make sure all your network settings are
    still working properly before installing again.

    As many on this newsgroup can attest, installing any VPN client software can
    really become a nasty mess when things don't happen exactly as they should.
    Things can go so wrong that your entire OS gets hosed and has to be
    reinstalled. Fortunately, unbinding, uninstalling and reinstalling NIC
    drivers and sometimes other components often remedies the situation too.

    Just proceed slowly and thoroughly, and you should get through this
    otherwise unscathed. Good luck.

    <davidl@yourmama.com> wrote in message
    > Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
    > does NOT support domain access
    >
    > On 16 May 2005 20:03:59 -0700, "tim" <tim8292@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In an attempt to install VPN on home pc (XP PRO), I encountered 3
    > >errors:
    > >1) The software you are installing for hardware Nortel IPSECSHM
    > >Adaptor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility
    > >with XP.
    > >then
    > >2) The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
    > >then..
    > >3) Installation of the Contivity VPN Client Driver failed...
    > >
    > >I contacted my companies help desk and they sent me VPN Client version
    > >4.65. I then tried to install it. I no longer got error message #2
    > >above , but still received #1 & #3.
    > >
    > >Based on the other postings, I think I can ignore message #1 as it is
    > >really informational. However, message #3 seems to be hosing me up. I
    > >can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
    > >Windows Firewall off.
    > >
    > >I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
    > >uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
    > >Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
    > >prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
    > >directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
    > >
    > >Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
    > >dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
    > >registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
    > >using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
    > >
    > >My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
    > > I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.
    > >
    > >Please help & much thanks!
    > >
    > >Tim

    Would installing Contivity on a Win XP Home machine cause the machine to be
    non-functional? I have a Contivity client that uses Fiberlink Global Remote
    and whenever I install the package, all of the system resources are used up
    and I can run nothing. Until I saw this message, I was thinking that there
    was an incompatibility with the Athlon 64.

    I previously ran these older versions if these packages on a P3 running
    WindowsME with no problem.

    "J. McGoggin" <johnmcgoggin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> >can't get past it. I have done this with Norton's turned off and
    >> >Windows Firewall off.
    >> >
    >> >I also read one posting directing the user to use DOS commands to
    >> >uninstall the product (in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
    >> >Information\{....} setup.exe uninstall. However in following this, it
    >> >prompted me for the location of data2.cab which did not exists in this
    >> >directory. So I was unable to go furhter.
    >> >
    >> >Furthermore, in C:\Program Files I did find a Nortel folder with one
    >> >dll which I deleted by hand. There was nothing for Nortel in my
    >> >registry that I could see and there was no Nortel program to uninstall
    >> >using Control Panel - add Remove programs.
    >> >
    >> >My work is providing this software as our way to get into the intranet.
    >> > I am having a problem that apparently most at my work never encounter.

    Can't say for sure, but it seems *much* more likely a compatibility issue
    with XP Home or your other netwokring components than with Athlon. After
    all, Microsoft doesn't support any kind of serious WAN networking with XP
    Home.

    "Dan" <D_Baran@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Would installing Contivity on a Win XP Home machine cause the machine to
    be
    > non-functional? I have a Contivity client that uses Fiberlink Global
    Remote
    > and whenever I install the package, all of the system resources are used
    up
    > and I can run nothing. Until I saw this message, I was thinking that there
    > was an incompatibility with the Athlon 64.
    >
    > I previously ran these older versions if these packages on a P3 running
    > WindowsME with no problem.
    >
    > "J. McGoggin" <johnmcgoggin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Tim stated that, although he is installing on his 'home' pc, his OS is
    > > WinXP
    > > Pro, which does indeed support domain access and other required
    networking
    > > pieces.
    > >
    > > My suggestion is to install the Contivity software to another folder
    > > and/or
    > > another machine, in order to get a total inventory of what the .cab
    files
    > > are installing and where. Perhaps your IT guys can provide this. Then,
    > > with
    > > that list of files in hand, manually search and destroy each and every
    > > installed file, then restart and make sure all your network settings are
    > > still working properly before installing again.
    > >
    > > As many on this newsgroup can attest, installing any VPN client software
    > > can
    > > really become a nasty mess when things don't happen exactly as they
    > > should.
    > > Things can go so wrong that your entire OS gets hosed and has to be
    > > reinstalled. Fortunately, unbinding, uninstalling and reinstalling NIC
    > > drivers and sometimes other components often remedies the situation too.
    > >
    > > Just proceed slowly and thoroughly, and you should get through this
    > > otherwise unscathed. Good luck.
    > >

    > > <davidl@yourmama.com> wrote in message
    > >> Contivity is designed for remote domain access , Win XP Home edition
    > >> does NOT support domain access

    Does anyone know what kind of check I can do to determine if the problem is
    related to the networking components rather than the OS? I would happily
    upgrade the OS if I knew that would solve my problem.

    > Can't say for sure, but it seems *much* more likely a compatibility issue
    > with XP Home or your other netwokring components than with Athlon. After
    > all, Microsoft doesn't support any kind of serious WAN networking with XP
    > Home.
    >
    > "Dan" <D_Baran@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Would installing Contivity on a Win XP Home machine cause the machine to
    > be
    >> non-functional? I have a Contivity client that uses Fiberlink Global
    > Remote
    >> and whenever I install the package, all of the system resources are used
    > up
    >> and I can run nothing. Until I saw this message, I was thinking that
    >> there
    >> was an incompatibility with the Athlon 64.
    >>
    >> I previously ran these older versions if these packages on a P3 running
    >> WindowsME with no problem.
    >>
    >> "J. McGoggin" <johnmcgoggin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Tim stated that, although he is installing on his 'home' pc, his OS is
    >> > WinXP
    >> > Pro, which does indeed support domain access and other required
    > networking
    >> > pieces.
    >> >
    >> > My suggestion is to install the Contivity software to another folder
    >> > and/or
    >> > another machine, in order to get a total inventory of what the .cab
    > files
    >> > are installing and where. Perhaps your IT guys can provide this. Then,
    >> > with
    >> > that list of files in hand, manually search and destroy each and every
    >> > installed file, then restart and make sure all your network settings
    >> > are
    >> > still working properly before installing again.
    >> >
    >> > As many on this newsgroup can attest, installing any VPN client
    >> > software
    >> > can
    >> > really become a nasty mess when things don't happen exactly as they
    >> > should.
    >> > Things can go so wrong that your entire OS gets hosed and has to be
    >> > reinstalled. Fortunately, unbinding, uninstalling and reinstalling NIC
    >> > drivers and sometimes other components often remedies the situation
    >> > too.
    >> >
    >> > Just proceed slowly and thoroughly, and you should get through this
    >> > otherwise unscathed. Good luck.
    >> >

    >> > <davidl@yourmama.com> wrote in message

    > compatibility

    > intranet.