Sign in with
Your question

nVidia GeForce 7900GX2 1GB Ram

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2006 8:21:46 PM

I assume that most of you guys have noticed the countdown timer on nVidia website and its talking about the new upcoming GPU ... i think here is the new GPU they are talking about ...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1272

it looks awesome! what do you guys think?

Sami
March 18, 2006 9:21:51 PM

hmmm.... dual core 7900 gtx.... sounds expensive.
March 18, 2006 9:26:33 PM

Yeah, 1 gig of video memory right now is completely pointless. First of all no games use that much memory even on max settings, and second of all, once they do, this card wont be able to turn on all the settings to max anyways. Comparable to like a 6800 512 mb today.
Related resources
March 18, 2006 9:32:29 PM

I guess the people who buy the $7000 alienware systems, but it seems like nvidia is running out of ideas or something. Just cramming as much core and memory speeds into architecture they already have, and adding memory, then dual core.. etc. Will be nice to see what ATI releases in the next few months.
March 18, 2006 10:06:01 PM

Quote:
So true. Also, who's gonna spend that much?

I would like to have the chance to save 1000$ for a whole rig! It would be nice one, it would have a64 3000+. 512MBDDR 400.2x80GBsata for radi0, a x1600pro silencer(asus) a8n5x mobo and a 19" benq tft monitor(+keyb mouse case psu etc.). A whole f...ing computer and it's actually less than a 1000$! And still there are people who say "it's reasonable to buy this card, it would deliver yourself the ultimate gaming expirience!". Damn, i wish i had the money some people would spend for 1 VC only!
March 18, 2006 10:43:41 PM

Quote:
So true. Also, who's gonna spend that much?

I would like to have the chance to save 1000$ for a whole rig! It would be nice one, it would have a64 3000+. 512MBDDR 400.2x80GBsata for radi0, a x1600pro silencer(asus) a8n5x mobo and a 19" benq tft monitor(+keyb mouse case psu etc.). A whole f...ing computer and it's actually less than a 1000$! And still there are people who say "it's reasonable to buy this card, it would deliver yourself the ultimate gaming expirience!". Damn, i wish i had the money some people would spend for 1 VC only!

I love hearing people on websites like that one saying "THE ULTIMATE GAMING EXPERIENCE!". So, you get the card, coupled with a 5GHz Conroe or FX-66, 4GB of DDR-1066 RAM, and on saturday morning when you're hung-over, highly caffeinated, and have blood-shot eyes, there is a REAL gaming experience...oh boy yea...

Seriously, no game has given me this "ultime experience"...please...it's called SEX..sheesh :roll:.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 18, 2006 11:01:26 PM

actually id like to see how the card compares to 7900gtx's out now... sure i wont be buying one, i wont be buying any video card over 300 dollars it seems kinda pointless to me. but its still pretty cool that nvidia just jammed as much as they could onto the board.. im interested to see how it benchmarks :) 
March 18, 2006 11:05:20 PM

Quote:
I assume that most of you guys have noticed the countdown timer on nVidia website and its talking about the new upcoming GPU ... i think here is the new GPU they are talking about ...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1272

it looks awesome! what do you guys think?

Sami

That is not it. What that link is talking about is one half of Quad SLI. Each card has two PCB's. Each PCB has one GPU with its own dedicated 512MB of memory.

March 18, 2006 11:21:27 PM

Haha, exceeding that Geocities transfer limit.

Changed the link to imageshack.us link so it would come up all the time.
March 18, 2006 11:56:10 PM

$1000 for 1 card... and to think i payed like $50 for my eVGA fx5500. Absolute wow. I wish i had enough $$ to even get a $150 dollar card and an AMD cpu.. oh well :?
March 19, 2006 12:11:39 AM

Is this the one? Or is it gonna be like the 7800GT dual gpu in one card?

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

March 19, 2006 12:12:38 AM

Actually if you have them in SLI you have 2GB of video memory. :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2006 12:15:27 AM

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an issue with sufficeint cooling in that pic. the slots make no sense.8O
March 19, 2006 12:21:22 AM

It is going to be as I described. How else would I have a picture from my camera. You can check out a preview that Ryan Shrout did at PCperspectives.

http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=218

You can see the bridge connection between the two PCBs. There were several systems at Nvidia's Tech Day with Quad SLI enabled. From what we can tell is that the clock speeds wil be less than a 7900GTX but fast none the less. The target audience for Quad as Nvidia is marketing it, XHD or extreme high definition. This means high resolution with all of the eyecandy turned on. There is more I can't say but this is what it public so far. Stay tuned to TGDaily for some announcements.
March 19, 2006 12:47:15 AM

Quote:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be an issue with sufficeint cooling in that pic. the slots make no sense.8O

Yeah, Im with you. Seems the cooling part of this quad sli is not gonna be enough to cool it down to a desirable operating temps. I don't know, but maybe there's a gpu water block that can fit, otherwise lots of fan is gonna be needed to cool these cards.

But with todays' game I don't think these card will heat up that much for it can handle demanding games like FEAR and BF2 in highest settings and ultra resolution with no sweat.

Bottom line, if I can afford these baby, I would definitely get it!!!! :D 
March 19, 2006 12:55:30 AM

Yes they are long. As for the heat buildup, that is yet to be determined. We are getting in Quad SLI for testing but until then I will not be able to publish exact details of what consumers can expect from these cards. As we stated in our 7900 launch article, the new die size helps cooling out quite a bit. As you can see from all of the pictures on the web, this will be a single slot cooling solution. If Nvidia thought that this would be inadequate for Quad then it would have configured it differently. The fact that we are only waiting on receiving a test system that is already built should say enough.

We will have more to follow next week at GDC and you should keep your browsers tuned into www.Tomshardware.com and www.TGdaily.com for updates.
March 19, 2006 12:59:07 AM

Quote:
You'll also need a case the size of your house to fit in those cards. LOL, the cards are so long.

Yep, longer than my....anyways most mobos out there have its sata plug right across the pci slots and it just gonna block it and I have seen them before.

So, does a PCI-e x16 SLI can benifit with this quad sli? Or is gonna be the same as the SLI x8 bandwith?

And does anyone out there have pics of that 7900GX2 card????
Come on, show me the graphics cards!!!!!!
March 19, 2006 1:13:16 AM

Depends on the application as it does now with all of the other SLI solutions. If the game needs data from other parts of the system, namely the CPU, then yes there will be an advantge of x16 verses x8.
March 19, 2006 2:05:47 AM

Well, this isn't what I'm hoping will happen.

I'm looking forward to SLI leanding to dual on die GPUs, much like the X2s, which if done well, could give you a fairly good performance with a more reasonable price.

Imagine, a card that's the equivilent of a 6800 GT SLI with 512 MB ram total, but only one card, and runs around $300. It wouldn't be the top performer, but it's average speed and high minemum framerates would make it a good gaming buy at that price.

Unfortunately, if they can get people to buy 2 cards, they will.
March 19, 2006 2:11:53 AM

But what is the sense? Why not just build more pipelines (I hate using the term pipeline as everything is fragmented from the old version of what a pixel pipeline used to be.)

Why not just add more units and pipelines like texture, pixel shader, vertex, and Z??? This is the stance all of the card makers have been doing.

Nvidia has been stating that SLI today is tomorrow's single GPU. That is the way things go.

Quote:
Imagine, a card that's the equivilent of a 6800 GT SLI with 512 MB ram total, but only one card, and runs around $300. It wouldn't be the top performer, but it's average speed and high minemum framerates would make it a good gaming buy at that price.

That is why there are so many price points now. People can buy two cards or one single card for good performance.

You can get a PNY VCG7900GXPB Geforce 7900GT 256MB for $300. Granted this is only 256MB card but you get the point I am trying to make.
March 19, 2006 3:11:13 AM

Thanks heaps for pointing this out.

I was about to order a GeForce 7900 GT/GTX (I like their FSAA and general performance more than the ATI Radeon X1900's, also new cooler die, less power, etc) to replace my 'aging' Radeon X800XL.

Hopefully the card won't be 'a freak of computing nature', as quad-sli does not interest me. If they are sneaking a DX10 GPU in, in less than 3 days from now, I'll order one of them instead.

Also have to aggree with Mikes comments above - Laughing - so true, so very true.

http://www.nvidia.com - timer is there on the main page.
March 19, 2006 5:39:58 AM

Quote:
That is why there are so many price points now. People can buy two cards or one single card for good performance.

You can get a PNY VCG7900GXPB Geforce 7900GT 256MB for $300. Granted this is only 256MB card but you get the point I am trying to make.
Yes, but the idea is that dual GPU core wouldn't cost much more (see the Athlon vs X2 model), that could make even the lower end cards a better value, and honestly, a more likely purchase. The specific price point was just out of the air.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2006 2:43:40 PM

"So, does a PCI-e x16 SLI can benifit with this quad sli? "

Quad SLI requires x16 lanes to both gpu slots....

ALthough hell will indeed freeze over before I fork out $1000 each on such a solution! :-)
March 19, 2006 2:57:20 PM

I hear that! 2 cards is enough for me.
!