Backing up.

September 3, 2004 11:55:59 AM

I replaced an old win 98 machine with a XP Home machine.
I used Iomega software to backup to an onboard zip drive
on the old machine. My new machine has neither a zip or
floppy. It does have a CD RW drive. Does XP have a back
up utility program to copy certain data files to the CD,
to be restored in the event of a crash? Thanks...

More about : backing

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:17:02 PM

Go to start\programs\accesories\system tools\backup. You can select specific
files or folders to backup. Windows backup will create a single file
wherever you tell it to, then you can copy that file to CD.

"Dumb computer guy" wrote:

> I replaced an old win 98 machine with a XP Home machine.
> I used Iomega software to backup to an onboard zip drive
> on the old machine. My new machine has neither a zip or
> floppy. It does have a CD RW drive. Does XP have a back
> up utility program to copy certain data files to the CD,
> to be restored in the event of a crash? Thanks...

September 3, 2004 3:37:08 PM

Blane wrote:
> Natively you cannot backup to a CDR(W) using the ntbackup utility (start
> ->programs->accessories->system tools->backup). If you use a program like
> DirectCD to format a CD-RW then the system will recognize the CD-RW as a
> volume and write to it. However, if the backup image is larger than the
> available space on the CD-RW then the backup will fail. This is because
> ntbackup cannot span multiple CDs. A third party backup utility must be
> used if you wish to span multiple CDRWs.
>
> Another method would be to perform the backup to a hard drive, then use a
> CDR and write the backup.bkf file to the CDR(W). Some of these 3rd party
> tools allow for large files to span a CDR. To restore you would have to
> use the 3rd party tool to rejoin the backup.bkf file before performing a
> data restore.
>
> I would recommend though that whatever backup you perform that you do an
> Automated System Restore (ASR) backup. This will assist if you have a
> crashed box or you need to restore some registry files. Running the ASR
> will create a floppy disk that needs to be safeguarded, along with the
> backup.bkf file.
>
> The following is a good link to the MIcrosoft Windows XP Backup Made Easy
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
>
> Just remember in order to write to a CDRW it must be formatted first
>
> Best regards,
> Blane Clark

> You assume all risk for your use.
> (C) 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved

The OP said he's using XP Home, so ASR is not an available option.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 4:40:17 PM

"Dumb computer guy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I replaced an old win 98 machine with a XP Home machine.
> I used Iomega software to backup to an onboard zip drive
> on the old machine. My new machine has neither a zip or
> floppy. It does have a CD RW drive. Does XP have a back
> up utility program to copy certain data files to the CD,
> to be restored in the event of a crash? Thanks...

The answer to your question is No. XP does not have a "backup utility" that
can save directly to CD. While it has a watered down version of the veritas
Backup MyPC application this watered down app is designed not to backup to
optical media like CD-Rs

But if you are just backing up data files then you can do a simple drag and
drop to burn files to CD-R using XP's native software. Or you can use your
favourite software. If you want to create a full system backup then you need
to invest in a decent system imaging program. These will take a snapshot or
create an exact duplicate of your current system and burn directly to disk.
Some like Acronis TrueImage can do so in the background and others like
Norton Ghost require you to reboot and then run from a virtual partition or
floppy to accomplish the task.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> The answer to your question is No. XP does not have a "backup utility" that
> can save directly to CD.

If you format the CD first it has always worked for me just writing directly
to CD.

John.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:00:40 AM

"John Paul" <JohnPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The answer to your question is No. XP does not have a "backup utility"
>> that
>> can save directly to CD.
>

> If you format the CD first it has always worked for me just writing
> directly
> to CD.
>

> John.

XP's built in software does not have the ability to preformat discs. It uses
the Standard IS09660/ Joliet format which essentially formats the disc on
the fly as it burns. This is similar to other mastering software programs
like Easy Media Creator, Nero, RecordNow, DiskJuggler and the like.

To preformat a disc you must have third party software installed that
provides packet writing. Common packet writing programs like Drag n Drop,
DLA, or InCD etc might have been installed on your computer. If this is the
case you can right click the CD Burner icon and select "Format". However if
you do not have packet writing software installed XP will not have the
Format option in the right click menu for your CD Burner.

Check Alex Nichol's primer here http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 10:47:02 AM

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:
> XP's built in software does not have the ability to preformat discs. It uses
> the Standard IS09660/ Joliet format which essentially formats the disc on
> the fly as it burns. This is similar to other mastering software programs
> like Easy Media Creator, Nero, RecordNow, DiskJuggler and the like.
>
> To preformat a disc you must have third party software installed that
> provides packet writing. Common packet writing programs like Drag n Drop,
> DLA, or InCD etc might have been installed on your computer. If this is the
> case you can right click the CD Burner icon and select "Format". However if
> you do not have packet writing software installed XP will not have the
> Format option in the right click menu for your CD Burner.
>
> Check Alex Nichol's primer here http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm

Yes, you're right. I'm using Sonic DLA.

Thanks, John.
!