Sign in with
Your question

Alright, my PC buzzes but stops when I hit it.

Last response: in Components
March 18, 2006 9:43:38 PM

Really, my PC buzzes sometimes and only stops if I smack it on the side of the case. Any idea what it is? I'm pretty sure it's not a disk drive, because it happens with or without a CD in either drive.

I know whacking it can't be good for the computer, but it's really annoying.
March 18, 2006 10:32:32 PM

could be a fan as well, the fan on my old power supply buzzed
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2006 10:36:11 PM

I remember when I was a kid, you'd have to "smack" the side of the t.v. set to get the reception to come in better. lol
Related resources
March 18, 2006 11:03:59 PM

yea... if u could insert a sound clip wed probably be able to tell what it is... im saying fan scraping aganist some wires... if it was the hd or cd drive theyd prob be broken by now..
March 18, 2006 11:44:01 PM

When you finally can't stand it anymore, I'd recommend getting out your static-safe vacuum and vacuuming out all of your fans (and everything else, while you're in there).

Be sure to stick a pen into the fan blades to prevent them from spinning, please (and thus, over-spinning and damaging the bearings).

My guess is that the buzzing you are hearing is probably from dust unbalancing the blades on your fans.
March 19, 2006 12:25:23 AM

Alright, tommorow I'll crack open the case and see what's wrong. If it's the wires, I've got a dozen twistiee-ties lying around.
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 20, 2006 12:09:53 PM

More than likely a fan - don't forget to check the GPU and chipset cooler fans.
March 22, 2006 11:42:57 AM

I had this for ages before i worked out what was causing it (in my case anyway). It was the cable for the side panel fan - every time I took the side off to see what was making the noise I obviously disconnected the cable to remove the side panel with the fan on it! I was convinced it was a hard drive - because it didn't do it when the side was off (and it was on its side) I thought a drive was on it's way out and it only rattled when the case was upright.

I recommend starting it up with the case open and you should find the problem pretty quickly.

And yes, vacuum your case anyway, it could probably do with it unless you do it regularly.
March 22, 2006 4:09:12 PM

Mmm!!!

I've had this problem, it turns out from the sounds of it,

You have an Asus Motherboard don't you?

Asus is notorious for this, my friend and I both had this problem:

The Chipset fan is being retarded, talk to your manufacturer (If you have a warrenty) Or call Asus, they should send you one for free, I replaced mine, problem gone.

Hope this helps! :) 
April 18, 2013 1:13:03 PM

parlee said:
yea... if u could insert a sound clip wed probably be able to tell what it is... im saying fan scraping aganist some wires... if it was the hd or cd drive theyd prob be broken by now..

Yeah, I agree.
Most likely cause is cables barely rubbing on a fan as it rotates.
Hitting the side would move the cables slightly to keep them from hitting the fan blades and making the noise.

Also, you are correct, it's not good to hit your computer since you have a hard drive that rotates at a high speed inside your computer.

To help fix the issues you may have cause by hitting it run "CHKDSK C: /R"
!