help! my start menu is gone!

September 3, 2004 12:48:15 PM

I ran the uninstall for a program using add/remove
software on the control panel. When I re-booted my start
menu lost most of my software. I think it's because the
owner/admin user was renamed. When I did the rename it
didn't change the documents and settings directory name.
Something in the uninstall created a new directory with
the renamed user name. Now when I sign on, I get this
empty settings directory. What can I do ? Any help
would be appreciated!

More about : start menu

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 9:25:02 PM

Hi Mike,

I think the problem may be that the profile for the admin user has the
programs shown there - rather than where you may be looking - though I can't
be sure.

The best way to look is to log in as administrator, open windows explorer
and on your C: drive (probably!) go to Documents and Settings folder then
expand the name of the old admin user go into Start Menu under here then
maybe programs under that. If you find what you want then simply copy from
there to the same folder under All Users - you should then get your programs.
If you copy but still can't see them, then check the file permissions on what
you've copied...

If you still have problems, post a reply with as much info as you can, and
I'll see if I can find some more suggestions.

Good luck,

Jason

!