fast enough PC?

I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC as a
good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent graphics/resolution
etc?

Many thanks

John

opps nearly forgot the vital lol

Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)

hope this enough Info
13 answers Last reply
More about fast

    John Lord wrote:
    > I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my
    > PC as a good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent
    > graphics/resolution etc?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    >
    > Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    > 512MB RAM
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    > ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)

    double the memory and it should do fair dinkum good d:->)) .........

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC as
    > good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent
    graphics/resolution
    > etc?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    >
    > Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    > 512MB RAM
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    > ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)
    >
    > hope this enough Info

    No problem, given you have the room on your hard drive (which I am sure is
    probably not an issue).

    From what I have read, having a upper-end Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM are
    very important.

    I have, basically, what you have, and FS2004 has never crashed, glitched, or
    even "hung up" for one frame on me.

    Also, there are some really great pros on this group that helped me to get
    started.

    Only one tip from me: Make sure that you have a good controller, whether it
    be a joystick or the full meal deal. I bought a cheap joystick on a whim
    and have wished that I had gotten a better one.

    In brief: Trying to fly using only your keyboard will not enhance the fun,
    even though it will test your levels of frustration and mental anguish. So,
    take a good look at that end, too.

    Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

    I'd add another 512mb of RAM.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:ZEnoe.1426$1O3.946@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    > I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC as a
    > good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent graphics/resolution
    > etc?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    >
    > Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    > 512MB RAM
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    > ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)
    >
    > hope this enough Info

    Thanks for the great speedy advice guys! sorry missed HD Size out, it's a
    160 mb, with 111 mb free, would this be enough or should I look at getting
    another HD. I'm ok with fitting it etc. And been thinking about it anyway
    as a backup for work files and daughters school/college work.

    And thanks for advice on controllers dowe, at the moment I have nothing,
    (didn't come with the PC) so need to get one, any that you would recommend?
    budget isn't great at the moment so would be looking at something cheap but
    good! and not sure if I should post this separately on even in this
    newsgroup but do you know of a decent sound card that fits the same cheap
    and good criteria!?? thanks

    And yep CRaSH I think it's time to get some more mem, it's a family PC in
    the busy front room that can have 3 or more user accounts running most times
    with each of them having quite a few programs running!! kids eh

    But I do get the PC myself sat nights and have wanted a flight sim for some
    while but only now I've upgrade to a decent (from a P2 266mhz!) I won't to
    invest in a good one, and think microsofts 2004 flight sim is the best there
    is??

    thanks again, only just start newsgroups and it's great having all this
    knowledge easily accessible, I would like my daughters to have access to
    newsgroups but must admit that although all the groups I've been using are v
    good, there's a lot of newsgroups that come up initially that I definitely
    wouldn't want them to access, I know it defeats the object of freedom etc of
    newsgroup but how or can I ensure that they can't access the droves of adult
    newsgroups? again maybe I should ask this question in another newsgroup,
    pretty new I'm not sure if you should usually stick to the subject for the
    name of the group?

    john

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC as
    > a good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent
    > graphics/resolution etc?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > John
    >
    > opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    >
    > Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    > 512MB RAM
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    > ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)
    >
    > hope this enough Info

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    (snip)
    > And thanks for advice on controllers dowe, at the moment I have nothing,
    > (didn't come with the PC) so need to get one, any that you would
    recommend?
    > budget isn't great at the moment so would be looking at something cheap
    but
    > good!

    John, in the "cheap but good," category, I would recommend the Logitech
    WingMan Attack 2.

    First, it is inexpensive and quite durable.

    Second, it is 100% plug-and-play compatible with both your computer and
    FS2004. You take it out of the box, plug the cord into a USB port, and both
    your computer and FS2004 do all the configuration automatically, without any
    work on your part. Again, you do absolutely nothing. (Compare that to a
    joystick that has you configuring ports, trying to find and install the
    correct drivers, configuring with the software, calibrating, etc., etc. The
    WingMan has already done all of that for you.)

    Third, if you wish, there is a library of tips, tricks and drivers for it,
    as it works with lots of different software. Plus, if needed, it is easy to
    unplug, store and reinstall. So, I guess that it is versatile and
    easy-to-use.

    I use one, and for around $20 bucks, it sure works for me. The only
    downside is that it is designed primarily for combat planes and other games,
    so it lacks one or two shortcut buttons that are found on more expensive
    controllers that are designed exclusively for FS2004.

    Also, it is a joystick, as compared to a yoke and pedal rig, which is more
    realistic and a better unit in every way (but can cost $200 bucks or more.)

    So, the WingMan is an inexpensive unit that installs and operates flawlessly
    out of the box. Cheap, yet effective and easy to install and use.

    Also, and other group members may help here, the older Microsoft Sidewinder
    series are reported to work very well, too. So, that may be a good
    alternative.

    I hope this helps. jim

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the great speedy advice guys! sorry missed HD Size out, it's a
    > 160 mb, with 111 mb free, would this be enough or should I look at getting
    > another HD. I'm ok with fitting it etc. And been thinking about it anyway
    > as a backup for work files and daughters school/college work.

    You mean Gb, right?

    I really hope you do, or you have big problems ;)

    opps yeah soz

    John Lord wrote:
    > opps yeah soz

    Hi John,
    I have the greatest sympathy for your feelings concerning the quandary of
    internet access with your daughters. Here it is the biggest source of
    information known to any person in human history, but also the biggest
    source of absolute trash! My daughter didn't have the opportunity, and she
    had the will to keep it out of the grasp of the grandkids, which are all
    adults now, so I really feel sorry for todays parents where it is a absolute
    "must have" to survive.......

    Cheers'n Beers... [_])
    Don

    I'm not sure if anyone answered the questions about HD space, but you have
    plenty, even if you go mad and buy add on airports etc.

    Does anyone know if the latest retail version of Century of flight (FS9)
    ships with the patch, or should John be looking to download it from
    Microsoft after he intsalls the CDs?

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the great speedy advice guys! sorry missed HD Size out, it's a
    > 160 mb, with 111 mb free, would this be enough or should I look at getting
    > another HD. I'm ok with fitting it etc. And been thinking about it anyway
    > as a backup for work files and daughters school/college work.
    >
    > And thanks for advice on controllers dowe, at the moment I have nothing,
    > (didn't come with the PC) so need to get one, any that you would
    > recommend? budget isn't great at the moment so would be looking at
    > something cheap but good! and not sure if I should post this separately on
    > even in this newsgroup but do you know of a decent sound card that fits
    > the same cheap and good criteria!?? thanks
    >
    > And yep CRaSH I think it's time to get some more mem, it's a family PC in
    > the busy front room that can have 3 or more user accounts running most
    > times with each of them having quite a few programs running!! kids eh
    >
    > But I do get the PC myself sat nights and have wanted a flight sim for
    > some while but only now I've upgrade to a decent (from a P2 266mhz!) I
    > won't to invest in a good one, and think microsofts 2004 flight sim is the
    > best there is??
    >
    > thanks again, only just start newsgroups and it's great having all this
    > knowledge easily accessible, I would like my daughters to have access to
    > newsgroups but must admit that although all the groups I've been using are
    > v good, there's a lot of newsgroups that come up initially that I
    > definitely wouldn't want them to access, I know it defeats the object of
    > freedom etc of newsgroup but how or can I ensure that they can't access
    > the droves of adult newsgroups? again maybe I should ask this question in
    > another newsgroup, pretty new I'm not sure if you should usually stick to
    > the subject for the name of the group?
    >
    > john
    >

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC
    >> as a good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent
    >> graphics/resolution etc?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    >>
    >> Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    >> 512MB RAM
    >> NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    >> ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)
    >>
    >> hope this enough Info

    thanks guys, lots of useful advice for me there, come next pay day I shall
    be treating myself!

    thanks again

    john
    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@goesnowherewiththis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:Hxxoe.45542$G8.38031@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Keith Butcher wrote:

    > Does anyone know if the latest retail version of Century of flight (FS9)
    > ships with the patch, or should John be looking to download it from
    > Microsoft after he intsalls the CDs?

    I don't know if there's anything later, but I bought and installed March
    1 05. I needed the patch. Don't forget the no cd fix.
    http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-file-1020-details.html And other
    places.

    Mike

    "Dowe" <sonic@yahooXX.com> wrote in message
    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    > (snip)
    > Also, and other group members may help here, the older Microsoft
    > Sidewinder
    > series are reported to work very well, too. So, that may be a good
    > alternative.
    >
    > I hope this helps. jim

    If you can find on old Microsoft Sidewinder 1 at a garage sale or wherever,
    GRAB IT!

    I luv em.I have 1 for each tower now. My first one is 5 years old, been
    flogged mercilessly in dogfights nearly everyday for years and is still
    going strong. (getting a tiny bit of slop now,but hey...) I "borrowed" the
    other one from my son

    Bryan

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at buying Microsoft flight sim, and wanted to know if my PC
    as
    > > good enough spec to play it at a decent pace with decent
    > graphics/resolution
    > > etc?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > opps nearly forgot the vital lol
    > >
    > > Pentium 4 3ghz CPU
    > > 512MB RAM
    > > NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    > > ADI Microscan 1700 (1280 1024 max)
    > >
    > > hope this enough Info
    > >

    > No problem, given you have the room on your hard drive (which I am sure is
    > probably not an issue).
    >
    > From what I have read, having a upper-end Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM are
    > very important.
    >
    > I have, basically, what you have, and FS2004 has never crashed, glitched,
    or
    > even "hung up" for one frame on me.

    Mine neither, and my system is P3-933, 320MB, ATI7500. 15-30 fps with lower
    game settings. Upper-end P4 not important it would seem ;)

Microsoft Video Games