Sign in with
Your question

PC shuts off without warning

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2006 1:55:21 AM

Just as the subject says. I've been having this problem for quite some time now. I was having some issues with heat, and I solved them by replacing the CPU cooler, and moving it all to a new case. I ran 3DMark 05, and it shut down during the CPU rendering part. I then began playing The Sims 2, and it shut down while I created a new neighborhood. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the CPU or motherboard. Any opinions?

More about : shuts warning

March 19, 2006 2:01:29 AM

Quote:
Just as the subject says. I've been having this problem for quite some time now. I was having some issues with heat, and I solved them by replacing the CPU cooler, and moving it all to a new case. I ran 3DMark 05, and it shut down during the CPU rendering part. I then began playing The Sims 2, and it shut down while I created a new neighborhood. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the CPU or motherboard. Any opinions?

Okay, a few questions first:

1) Is the computer just switching straight off and not going to a blue screen first?

2) Are you hearing a click sound when it shuts off?

3) How old is the PSU? Your sig makes me think it might be that

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 19, 2006 2:04:47 AM

there's no BSOD; it shuts right off. there's no clicking sound when it turns off. the PSU is about 9 months old. it's a hipro 300w.
Related resources
March 19, 2006 2:16:02 AM

Quote:
there's no BSOD; it shuts right off. there's no clicking sound when it turns off. the PSU is about 9 months old. it's a hipro 300w.

I would blame the PSU. See if you can change it out with another.

March 19, 2006 2:57:26 AM

Quote:

I would blame the PSU. See if you can change it out with another.

I agree, it is probably the PSU but it is possible something is overheating.

Download SpeedFan, MDM5 or a similar utility and check your temperatures and voltages.

You might also want to run a memtest overnight:

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Good Luck
March 19, 2006 2:58:19 AM

Did it do this before you o'cd your graphics card?
March 19, 2006 9:39:29 AM

Yes, it did. And the graphics card is at stock speeds right now. I downloaded MBM5, and it couldn't give a temperature reading. I used the temperature reading from the BIOS, and made an educated guess about the CPU temp at load. I'll try a memtest once I get home later today.
March 21, 2006 12:09:37 AM

The memtest was free of errors, but it still powered off during the 3DMark's CPU rendering. I moved it to another plug in another room of my house, and it ran 3DMark five times straight. I downloaded Prime95, and after five minutes of that, it shut off with no BSOD. Then I played 1.5 hours of Sims 2 without a problem. I moved it back to the original plug, and it shuts off during 3DMark. Any ideas?
March 21, 2006 1:02:51 AM

Its the PSU. Its called overvoltage protection basicly your drawing to many amps and its shutting down to save your pc from going pop.

Buy a PSU with a single 12V rail.

Like the 520Watt OCZ (not the mod stream)
March 21, 2006 1:17:12 AM

I know an electrical engineer, and he suggested getting a battery backup.
March 21, 2006 2:19:48 AM

well, before assuming that is your psu or whatever component... what hardware do you got? what video card and cpu? anyway, it must be some psu or overheating related problem... you can also check you bios for some thermal throttling or even shutdown option...
March 21, 2006 3:37:08 AM

Sounds like the wall socket, try plugging a toaster into it. If the only reason the toast browns is that the house burned down you found the problem.

Seriously - it does sound like faulty wiring in that socket since it ran on another socket perfectly, get it checked by a qualified electrician.

One other thought strikes though - was the PC in a similar environment in both areas you used it? what I'm thinking of is ventilation around the case, if the PC is in a poorly ventilated area when plugged into the 'faulty' socket it could still be heat.
March 21, 2006 4:07:22 AM

Noones susgested testing the cpu???? im supprised...
download this
http://www.mersenneforum.org/attachment.php?attachmenti...
unzip it
get rawwrite google it
write the bin file to the floppy
then stick floppy in
boot from floppy
let sit for 12-24 hours
when you come back
you will have a baked potato/computer
if computer is still on psu is ruled out
if computer gets errors cpu is at falt
if computer is off try new psu
if you get something about rounding cpu/memory is at fault
March 21, 2006 8:57:31 AM

Quote:
The memtest was free of errors, but it still powered off during the 3DMark's CPU rendering. I moved it to another plug in another room of my house, and it ran 3DMark five times straight. I downloaded Prime95, and after five minutes of that, it shut off with no BSOD. Then I played 1.5 hours of Sims 2 without a problem. I moved it back to the original plug, and it shuts off during 3DMark. Any ideas?

You should have that plug checked for a wiring fault.

Your PSU is suspect at well. What kind is it?

If you were to get a new one I'd recommend an Antec TPII 550 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Would you please post your full specs?

Thanks!
March 21, 2006 10:06:52 AM

Specs:
Proprietary ASUS motherboard (from HP) with 915p chipset
Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz with Intel cooler
1GB (2x512MB) PC3200
Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive.
Hipro 300W PSU
Cooler Master Cavalier case
ATi Radeon x600

A funny thing happened last night, though. The computer had been on since I came home at 2:30, and I was just surfing the net. At 10:20 PM, I started Prime95, which is still running right now at 7:05 in the morning.
March 21, 2006 10:25:35 AM

Quote:
Specs:
Proprietary ASUS motherboard (from HP) with 915p chipset
Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz with Intel cooler
1GB (2x512MB) PC3200
Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive.
Hipro 300W PSU
Cooler Master Cavalier case
ATi Radeon x600

A funny thing happened last night, though. The computer had been on since I came home at 2:30, and I was just surfing the net. At 10:20 PM, I started Prime95, which is still running right now at 7:05 in the morning.

Your PSU is highly suspect.

I believe it crashes in 3DMark either because your VGA is drawing too many amps at that point and or because it is overheating.
March 21, 2006 1:46:21 PM

OMFG the problem is that your CPU is getting too hot, I am 100% positive. Why the hell everybody wants to give their opinion of a power supply problem when it is not is beyond me. The heatsink has come lose, the thermal paste has "crusted", or your cpu fan is dead. I'm 100% sure, I see it every other day here at work (tech support callcenter).

Download SpeedFan or another utility if you don't believe me. I'm right though.

EDIT: OK...maybe not 100% positive but I am 99.9% sure. Your PSU is a little small but if it has worked before, this problem is definately your cpu overheating. Home-built PC, brand-name PC, or customised system in a brand-name case? And please tell me it's not a Viscom (V2premier)!

EDIT 2: Noticed the HP mobo. Did the cpu and heatsink come from the HP as well? If so was it a Pavilion? What model?
March 21, 2006 5:50:09 PM

Quote:
OMFG the problem is that your CPU is getting too hot, I am 100% positive. Why the hell everybody wants to give their opinion of a power supply problem when it is not is beyond me. The heatsink has come lose, the thermal paste has "crusted", or your cpu fan is dead. I'm 100% sure, I see it every other day here at work (tech support callcenter).

Download SpeedFan or another utility if you don't believe me. I'm right though.

EDIT: OK...maybe not 100% positive but I am 99.9% sure. Your PSU is a little small but if it has worked before, this problem is definately your cpu overheating. Home-built PC, brand-name PC, or customised system in a brand-name case? And please tell me it's not a Viscom (V2premier)!

EDIT 2: Noticed the HP mobo. Did the cpu and heatsink come from the HP as well? If so was it a Pavilion? What model?

It's not the CPU overheating, because I just reapplied the thermal paste when I put the new cooler on. It's been at 100% load since 10:25 last night, and it still hasn't shut down. I don't know why, though.
March 21, 2006 5:56:58 PM

If you just reapplied the thermal paste and it is not having problems anymore, wouldn't that mean that it was a heat issue?

Perhaps I missed something in this thread?
March 21, 2006 6:04:06 PM

Quote:
If you just reapplied the thermal paste and it is not having problems anymore, wouldn't that mean that it was a heat issue?

This thread is because AFTER I reapplied the thermal paste and put it in a new case, I was STILL having the same problems as before. I'm not quite sure what to say right now because it's running Prime95 as I speak, but until yesterday night, it wouldn't .
March 21, 2006 6:27:00 PM

Quote:

This thread is because AFTER I reapplied the thermal paste and put it in a new case, I was STILL having the same problems as before. I'm not quite sure what to say right now because it's running Prime95 as I speak, but until yesterday night, it wouldn't .

Ok, my bad :oops: 
March 21, 2006 6:29:47 PM

No need to be sad. Be happy :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :"):) :) :) :) :) :) :) 
March 21, 2006 7:58:38 PM

Actually, :oops:  is when I type ": o o p s :" except w/o the spaces.

"Try again--this time without the oops!" -- Independence Day
March 21, 2006 8:08:59 PM

Your problem is the psu get a new one for what you have i recomend a 500 watt psu ultra has some nice 500s also to give you a load out on specs
mobo around 40 watts
p4 at 3.2 arround 106 watts
hard disk 12 - 20
video mabey 30 - 60
your still up there those are rough guesses and i didnt include ram and cd drives.
!