how to make a conroe work with a mobo today?

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Lets just say i "might" have fallen into a situation that would allow me to get my hands on a conroe 1.86ghz E6300.......and lets just say i might have a 975 intel mobo.........does anyone know what intel did at the IDF to the bios to make that benchmark demo PC work?

Lets just say i "might" have fallen into a situation that would allow me to get my hands on a conroe 1.86ghz E6300.......and lets just say i might have a 975 intel mobo.........does anyone know what intel did at the IDF to the bios to make that benchmark demo PC work?

VRM, Pinout and Bios vary.

Socket370 is a good example.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Conroe needs lower voltage to run therefore, I say they probably modified the voltage for one. The other thing is, the MB itself is supposed to have a different VRM to run Conroe. They must have been able to change the voltage output on that board they used or they used a completely different VRM. Who knows for sure.

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I know the VRM needs to be changed.....no biggie....but the problem is i don't know what the actual voltage and other power settings need to be before i do this.................*sigh*.........i guess its too early in conroe's life to know for sure.

its a shame to have such a cool new piece of hardware and not be able to use it.

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
i wish!!!....... if i had access to intel's bios info i would not be on this forum asking the "pros".

i can however get my hands on the asus 975 board easly if i need too. basically i'm trying to do this as under the radar as possible, considering i'm really not supposed have this processor in the first place.

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006

where did you steal it from? or did you sleep with bill gates?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Just to clarify. Bill gates own's Microsoft, NOT Intel.....
That being said.

If you have the know-how to get your hands on an ES of the Conroe series,
then you should be able to get a board to go along with it.
Or at least anybody with that caliber position would have the personal
know on what board to use.

Not trying to be an ass, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Until then, I'm gonna call the B.S. flag on you "acquiring" anything.

RichPLS

Champion
Supposedly the 975 board will run the ellusive and mysterious Conroe as is, just won't recognize chip, so set up manually, and the voltage will be a tad high, but that is a plus for overclocking...

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Unfortunately, it's not really possible right now. Nobody makes anything that supports Conroe right the second. Keep your eye out for a revision to the 975X chipset. I'm sure it will be rolling out soon.

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
That being said.

If you have the know-how to get your hands on an ES of the Conroe series,
then you should be able to get a board to go along with it.
Or at least anybody with that caliber position would have the personal
know on what board to use.

Not trying to be an ass, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Until then, I'm gonna call the B.S. flag on you "acquiring" anything.

caliber position?.......dude its easy to get one if you work in the right channels of PC fab. intel is giving them out left and right to O.E.M's and small "mom and pop" PC shop owners with working mobo. i just couldn't get the board to go with it.

besides its well known there is no working retail out of the box MOBO. since i'm in a low "caliber position", and just happend to luck out (kinda), i was hoping someone here would have an idea of what the intel guys did to rig the 975 board they had.

besides....all i asked was a tech question to my fellow PC geeks out there. i didn't ask for an opinion on whether or not they think i have one in my posession..............i could care less about that.

satch_rules5150

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
VRM or not, doesn't really matter IMO. The ASUS board could run down to 1.3V anyway.

It's the microcode for the new CPU and all that bits that enables the mobo to recognise and utilize the features on the CPU that matters.
Did a search a Google and Intel seems to be pretty good at keeping that BIOS to themselves.

Lets just say i "might" have fallen into a situation that would allow me to get my hands on a conroe 1.86ghz E6300
Then you "might" have some relations to Intel in which case Intel will provide you the BIOS.

good idea on the asus.

i'll see if i can dig one up.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

yeah but if anyone could get a conroe it would certainly be him, $50bil and counting. Can you imagine just the interest on that? :p

d@mn, my calculator doesn't even go that high! 8O

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

yeah but if anyone could get a conroe it would certainly be him, $50bil and counting. Can you imagine just the interest on that? :p

d@mn, my calculator doesn't even go that high! 8O

Too bad it's all in stock :?.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time