HP 5550 on new Dell XPS Gen 4

owen

I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.

I am pretty happy with HP tech support: they worked with me over 10
hours to try and make the printer work: all to no avail. They did get
it working with the HP 550C driver, but that is not acceptable. The
550C printer is a much less capable printer.

I am VERY UNHAPPY with Dell tech support (it's a frickin' NEW MACHINE
for Pete's sake!). They shuffled me around to different departments
until the printer department pretty much said: we didn't make the
printer; tough luck.

AT ANY RATE, here's what's happening:

1) Print anything from anywhere (including a DOS prompt)
2) Printer picks up a piece of paper, chugs for a few seconds, then
spits out the blank piece of paper.

I can connect the printer to another machine I have (also running
Windows XP, but the machine is NOT A DELL) and it works perfectly.
Any ideas?
TIA,
Owen

"Owen" <ojm@acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
> Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.

In addition to John's excellent suggestion about using the parallel port you
also might take a look at the following:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpu01838#N1014F
for some tips in dealing with USB issues with certain Dell computers.

Regards,

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Try Parallel port instead of USB
also try the windows XP SUPPLIED DRIVER NOT THE FULL hp on CD DRIVER
"Owen" <ojm@acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
> Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.
>
> I am pretty happy with HP tech support: they worked with me over 10
> hours to try and make the printer work: all to no avail. They did get
> it working with the HP 550C driver, but that is not acceptable. The
> 550C printer is a much less capable printer.
>
> I am VERY UNHAPPY with Dell tech support (it's a frickin' NEW MACHINE
> for Pete's sake!). They shuffled me around to different departments
> until the printer department pretty much said: we didn't make the
> printer; tough luck.
>
> AT ANY RATE, here's what's happening:
>
> 1) Print anything from anywhere (including a DOS prompt)
> 2) Printer picks up a piece of paper, chugs for a few seconds, then
> spits out the blank piece of paper.
>
> I can connect the printer to another machine I have (also running
> Windows XP, but the machine is NOT A DELL) and it works perfectly.
> Any ideas?
> TIA,
> Owen

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

BTW dell go hand in hand with LEXMARK printers ;-)