HP 5550 on new Dell XPS Gen 4

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 4, 2005 4:07:52 PM

I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.

I am pretty happy with HP tech support: they worked with me over 10
hours to try and make the printer work: all to no avail. They did get
it working with the HP 550C driver, but that is not acceptable. The
550C printer is a much less capable printer.

I am VERY UNHAPPY with Dell tech support (it's a frickin' NEW MACHINE
for Pete's sake!). They shuffled me around to different departments
until the printer department pretty much said: we didn't make the
printer; tough luck.

AT ANY RATE, here's what's happening:

1) Print anything from anywhere (including a DOS prompt)
2) Printer picks up a piece of paper, chugs for a few seconds, then
spits out the blank piece of paper.

I can connect the printer to another machine I have (also running
Windows XP, but the machine is NOT A DELL) and it works perfectly.
Any ideas?
TIA,
Owen

More about : 5550 dell xps gen

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 4, 2005 11:29:56 PM

"Owen" <ojm@acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
> Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.

In addition to John's excellent suggestion about using the parallel port you
also might take a look at the following:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
for some tips in dealing with USB issues with certain Dell computers.

Regards,
January 5, 2005 3:56:48 PM

Try Parallel port instead of USB
also try the windows XP SUPPLIED DRIVER NOT THE FULL hp on CD DRIVER
"Owen" <ojm@acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm having serious problems printing with my HP 5550 printer on my new
> Dell XPS Gen 4 machine! Windows XP Professional.
>
> I am pretty happy with HP tech support: they worked with me over 10
> hours to try and make the printer work: all to no avail. They did get
> it working with the HP 550C driver, but that is not acceptable. The
> 550C printer is a much less capable printer.
>
> I am VERY UNHAPPY with Dell tech support (it's a frickin' NEW MACHINE
> for Pete's sake!). They shuffled me around to different departments
> until the printer department pretty much said: we didn't make the
> printer; tough luck.
>
> AT ANY RATE, here's what's happening:
>
> 1) Print anything from anywhere (including a DOS prompt)
> 2) Printer picks up a piece of paper, chugs for a few seconds, then
> spits out the blank piece of paper.
>
> I can connect the printer to another machine I have (also running
> Windows XP, but the machine is NOT A DELL) and it works perfectly.
> Any ideas?
> TIA,
> Owen

January 6, 2005 2:55:50 PM

BTW dell go hand in hand with LEXMARK printers ;-)