March 19, 2006 5:24:45 AM

Specs: A7N8X Motherboard
Old Processor: AMD XP 2100+
Memory: 2.5 g DDR400 (PC3200)
PCB: 1.04 Bios: 1008
Power Supply 450 watts
Video Card: Radeon X850XT

New Processor: AMD XP 3000+

Preparation: Flashed bios from 1001.G to 1008. Cleared CMOS. Uninstalled old heatsink/fan and then processor. Made sure the FSB jumper was set to the 266/333/400 setting.

Installation: Installed new XP 3000+ processor. Put on thermal grease. Installed new heatsink and fan. Re-connected all cables.

Problem: Fans start. HD light comes on. No boot "beep" Monitor stays in standby, no keyboard or mouse capability. Computer never boots. Cannot "delete" into bios.

Tried: Clearing CMOS again. Reinstalling XP 3000+ processor again. Reinstalling old XP 2100+ processor to check systems (everything worked with old processor.) Re-installed XP 3000+ again. No luck

Cleared CMOS again. Took out memory. Tried three different brands of DDR400. No luck with any of them.

Disconnected components except for the very basics. No luck

Completely removed the video card. No luck

Inspected and reinstalled the XP 3000+ processor again. No luck

I'm running out of ideas. The seller of the processor claims that if the fans blow, the CPU is good and the problem has to be with my computer or settings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
March 19, 2006 6:44:33 AM

Where did you buy the processor? I'm guessing ebay right?
March 19, 2006 2:15:00 PM

Quote:
Where did you buy the processor? I'm guessing ebay right?

Right
Related resources
March 19, 2006 2:31:44 PM

I think it maybe a FSB/CPU setting problem. See if there is a jumper on that board and change the jumpers to the correct FSB speed for that processor. If they're not set right, it won't boot.

If the fans are running then that means the board obviously has good power so, it's gotta be the CPU setting. Those jumpers should be somewhere near or below the CPU on the board. I'd start there first.
March 19, 2006 2:38:40 PM

You should be able to force a lower FSB to test it out.
March 19, 2006 2:46:23 PM

Quote:
I think it maybe a FSB/CPU setting problem. See if there is a jumper on that board and change the jumpers to the correct FSB speed for that processor. If they're not set right, it won't boot.

If the fans are running then that means the board obviously has good power so, it's gotta be the CPU setting. Those jumpers should be somewhere near or below the CPU on the board. I'd start there first.

Been there. There are only 2 FSB settings. One allows 266/333/400 speeds and the other allows only 400 speed. It is set for 266/333/400. Since the XP 3000+ has a 333 FSB, it should be okay.

But your statement that if the FSB is not set correctly it won't boot is not correct. I've put in several processors before that the bios set at the default 100 FSB even though it was a 133 FSB chip. It just operated at a lower speed. Could've kept it there all the time, if I wanted. But to change it, all I had to do was to go into the bios and change it to the correct one (133 FSB). So I don't think the FSB has anything to do with my computer not booting.
March 19, 2006 2:50:15 PM

Quote:
You should be able to force a lower FSB to test it out.

You can if you can get into the bios. But if you can't, the bios will either detect the chip and automatically set the correct FSB speed, or the bios will be confused and just default to the lowest FSB - 100. Either way, there's no problem. If it defaults to 100, the computer will be running at a lower speed, but I could just keep it there. OR. . . I could go into the bios and change it to the correct speed. As long as the FSB is at the correct or lower speed there is no problem. It's when it is put ABOVE the correct speed that issues arise.

In this case I don't believe it has to do with the FSB speed, since the bios should've either detected the 333 FSB or defaulted to the 100 FSB. Either way the computer should boot and allow me into the bios to make changes, if needed.
March 19, 2006 3:12:35 PM

Yep, your right and only because on my board which was an Abit board, had two jumpers instead of one like your ASUS has.

I don't know exactly what the problem is with your setup but, if the fans are running, it's gotta be something with that CPU. I did have one that did the same thing and all I had to do was reseat it and it worked fine.
March 19, 2006 3:48:21 PM

never buy anything off ebay unless its new for comp parts
March 19, 2006 4:22:47 PM

Ok, i'll take into consideration. I have never used ebay but when I do, i'll think of your advice. :roll:
March 19, 2006 4:44:02 PM

I don't think I'd ever like buying stuff from Ebay.

Constant checking to see if someone bids more then you.

It would take forever to buy something, from my point of view.

BTW, I never brought anything from Ebay. :lol: 
March 19, 2006 4:47:59 PM

Start the computer without any CPU installed and see if the fans work. (I'm thinking they probably will). If they do, send the chip back, if you can.

If not, send the seller a box full of dog shit.
March 19, 2006 4:51:37 PM

Quote:
Start the computer without any CPU installed and see if the fans work. (I'm thinking they probably will). If they do, send the chip back, if you can.

If not, send the seller a box full of dog ****.

LOL... NO!! Don't do that!! That Ebayer might try to sell it. :oops: 
March 19, 2006 5:32:33 PM

So, just to finalize this case. . . everybody thinks it IS a bad CPU? Can anybody think of anything else I can try on my computer to get this thing to work? I can't.

If there are no more ideas, then I will email back the ebay seller and arrange a return. The seller has a 100% positive rating and put a guarantee of no DOA on this processor. So, if he wants to remain squeaky clean, he'll have to accept the return and refund my money.

He insists, however, that it is my computer causing the problem and not the processor.
March 19, 2006 5:37:13 PM

Try it in another socket A computer just to make sure. (And make sure that the fans do in fact blow without the CPU installed.)
March 19, 2006 7:49:09 PM

Of course the fans blow without the CPU installed. I remember doing that several years ago and I just did it again to reaffirm. Even the CPU fans works without the CPU.

I don't have another socket A computer to check the chip, nor am I going through the time and expense of finding one. I've already spent about 10 hours on a chip replacement that should have taken 15 minutes. Ridiculous!

The only thing I haven't tried on this chip is prayer and I seriously doubt God cares at all about my computer upgrade.

I'll let you know what the seller's response is.
March 19, 2006 8:17:21 PM

I have 5 other those same motherboards, in one variation or another, and the fan will work as soon as the board powers up, regardless if the machine will boot or not.
March 20, 2006 3:02:46 PM

Seller said he'd accept it back to look at. He claims the CPU was working perfectly before being shipped. Once he gets it back they will test it and determine if it works. If it does, I will not get my money back.
March 20, 2006 3:15:34 PM

Good luck to you on that.

That is one reason why I wouldn't buy stuff at Ebay, but suposively that have some kind of quality control. It would be totally wrong to sell stuff on Ebay that doesn't work.

It is usually best sometimes not to buy components without RMA. But if it is a great deal, and they claim it works, I can see in buying it.
March 21, 2006 2:55:45 AM

You guys need to lay off the EBay bashing, the guy has learned his lesson, it's water under the bridge, let's just stick to helping the guy out, OK ?
March 21, 2006 5:19:05 PM

Quote:
You guys need to lay off the EBay bashing, the guy has learned his lesson, it's water under the bridge, let's just stick to helping the guy out, OK ?

Thanks for that.

I have purchased (and sold) hundreds of items on Ebay. This is only the second problem. I do research before I buy. The seller has a 100% positive rating and past buyers of processors have written positive reviews. Yes, I'm frustrated that his CPU doesn't work and I'm sure the seller is just as upset. I certainly don't think he's trying to "defraud" me.

A used AMD XP 3000+ is around $100 while a new one (at zipzoomfly.com) is $249. Obviously there's no way I'm paying that. I'm two years from a total rebuild, so I'm just tweaking my current computer to hold me over until then. So, my budget allows "used CPU". A lot of people buy used CPUs without problems, so I'm just unlucky.

Upon closer inspection of the processor (with magnifying glass), I see some chip marks in one of the corners of the center chip. So, I'm thinking that damage could be the cause why it failed.
March 21, 2006 5:37:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'd ever like buying stuff from Ebay.

Constant checking to see if someone bids more then you.

I've bought a few things on ebay, and I've sold a few things. It's fine, and like the original poster said, sometimes you get a bum deal, but usually it's fine.

With ebay, you just have to decide on a price you want to pay, put that in as your top bid and then the system will make incremental bids for you until you either lose the bid, or the auction is over and you win. Don't sit there and try to out bid the next guy. If you don't win that auction there will be a dozen more right behind it.

IRT thread: Tough luck. Like I said above, I've got a half dozen of those machines and what you've done is pretty much all you can do. I just hope the CPU doesn't work when he gets it back and you get your money refunded. :( 
April 3, 2006 6:42:01 PM

Sent the processor (AMD XP 3000+ 333fsp barton) back to the ebay seller. He said he tested it and it works just fine. He said it was my motherboard (A7N8X vs. 1.04 bios 1008) or my memory that is causing it not to post. I replied that it's not my memory because I tried a "bare" boot with miminal components and basic memory (including kingston, crucial, and muskin). Plus, a memory problem would still post. This processor is not posting at all or beeping any code.

It can't be my MB since I have a A7N8X ver. 1.04 bios 1008 which can support up to XP 3200 400fsb. Yes, I have cleared the CMOS before installation.

So, am I just being fed a line? The seller claims to be sending me a "different" processor. I guess I try that when I get it. This guy has 167 positive feedback at 100%, so it's odd that he's lying to me.

Any advice on what to try when I get the new processor that I already haven't tried.

Thanks
April 3, 2006 8:36:15 PM

try the 400mhz FSB setting as the 3000+ xp barton could be either 333 or 400.

ex: AXDA3000DKV4E

B.S. meter went off the scale when I read that caca about if the fan works the cpu works.

Also the no beep issue is bothering me....No Beeps No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

What most likely happened is a short in the processor from someones CPU BBQ.
April 3, 2006 9:15:40 PM

Sure sounds like CPU to me, those boards are very forgiving. If I were in that place I would go to an AthlonXP2500 mobile, which is usually quite happy at 2.2 (11x200) with decent RAM, and is considerably cheaper.

But I would RMA that one asap. And now you can refer him to this thread :lol: 
XP2500 mobile still around
April 3, 2006 9:48:24 PM

Quote:
Sure sounds like CPU to me, those boards are very forgiving. If I were in that place I would go to an AthlonXP2500 mobile, which is usually quite happy at 2.2 (11x200) with decent RAM, and is considerably cheaper.

But I would RMA that one asap. And now you can refer him to this thread :lol: 
XP2500 mobile still around

The XP 2500 mobile requires a pin connect procedure to unlock it, right? This 3000+ can easily do 2.2 as well but without the pin procedure -- which is one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. I wanted something simple -- pop in and go.

Although I built my computer, I'm not what I consider to be "high tech", but it appears as if I know more than the seller of this Ebay CPU. I very seriously doubt he "tested" it at all, but he just said that to "save face." I hope he's truly is sending me a DIFFERENT one. I don't think he's trying to defraud because ALL of the other CPUs he's sold are getting positive feedback thus far. So, I'm hoping I just got a dud (that he's not admitting to) and that I'll get a good one in a few days.

If any of you know about the A7N8X ver. 1.04, let me know if my 1008 bios is good enough or if I should flash to 1009. I went from a 1001.G to 1008, which I think is fine. The bios is recognizing the revision. But maybe I should get the more recent bios version? Yes?
April 3, 2006 10:25:20 PM

Quote:

Upon closer inspection of the processor (with magnifying glass), I see some chip marks in one of the corners of the center chip. So, I'm thinking that damage could be the cause why it failed.

I'd inspect that "new" chip closely. He may have sent the same one back to you.

Ive got lots of good stuff off E-bay, but just like everything else, there's gonna be a few @ssholes.
April 3, 2006 10:36:21 PM

IIRC, all Athlon XP Mobiles come unlocked from the factory and require no tricks. At least the Bartons were. They were highly sought after by enthusiasts for their overclockability. They run at a 266 MHZ bus stock, but mine easily reaches 400 MHZ and beyond.

It was the non-mobile Athlon XPs that required some method to unlock them. You must be very specific when researching on how to unlock Athlon XPs as there are different methods for different cores and if you aren't careful you'll have an expensive paperweight on your hands.
April 3, 2006 11:20:11 PM

Some desktop 2500 were unlocked, I had one. That baby cranked on water and chilled, but I walked out and left the chiller on, and the computer on. Got frost and killed it.
"D" as the last letter means 333 FSB, "E" is 400.
April 3, 2006 11:29:09 PM

I have the deluxe version of your board 1.04 rev. I would highly recommend the next bios update, i know it says beta, but i run it and it has no problems at all.

I am running a Athlon XP 2500+ with light oc'ing to make it a 2700+ or 2.0 GHz. I can go higher, just chose not too. And that is solely multiplier, fsb runnin at 333. And it is a desktop Barton chip.

Let us know how things go, you got me interested now.
April 5, 2006 1:32:03 PM

I have several A7n8x boards, in various flavors including the deluxe. It should allow you to run the chip with the current bios, it just may not recognize it and will then just show 'unrecgonized cpu', but you can still set it up manually. But, I'd also recommend getting the lastest bios available.

The mobile processors will work in those boards, I have a couple of them, but there is a wire mod you must do on the board to unlock the upper multipliers. I don't recall the details, but I think you can use the chip at up to 11.5X without doing a mod, so that works fine for 200FSB. If you want to run the chip at 12X or above, you have to do a simple wire trick to get the board (not the chip) to allow you to increase the multiplier. This is only really necessary if you want to use a 166 fsb (333) and run the processor above 12X.

For example, if you want to run at 200 x 11 = 2200, you can do that without the mod. But, if you want to run at 166 x 13 = 215x then you'll need the mod.

What I would suggest when you get it back is to run it at stock multiplier at 166, stock voltage, etc. Just get it running first, which is should do fine.

BTW, you say the 3000+ should run at 2200 fine. Well, yeah maybe it will, but you'll have difficulty getting it there. It will have to be done with the FSB, because of course, it is multiplier locked. I prefer to do the OC with the multipliers if possible, or by doing a straight fsb jump from 166 to 200. If your 3000+ is a 333 processor, then jumping to 200 may not be possible because the resulting core speed may be too high. You can do it with fsb between 166 and 200 certainly, and it will be OK, I just don't do it like that myself. :wink:
April 5, 2006 2:36:33 PM

And, your point is what?

I have an Abit board too. I like the asus board better, personally, but both are good IMO.

Here is an image of the wire trick on the asus boards.

April 5, 2006 4:11:02 PM

Quote:
And, your point is what?

I have an Abit board too. I like the asus board better, personally, but both are good IMO.

Here is an image of the wire trick on the asus boards.

I would think that would be better accomplished from the underside of the board, with a thin wire and solder.
April 5, 2006 4:56:22 PM

One thing to try would be a different version of bios. Maybe one revision older.
April 5, 2006 4:57:01 PM

I have a question. Did you experience problems with the 1008 bios before the upgrade? I have been unable to successfully upgrage my bios to versions newer than 1004 and sometimes the results of he upgrade sound just like your symptoms. I'd recommend trying to roll back the bios to 1004 if possible. I run a fsb of 400 on a xp 2800+ (actually i think it's really a 2500+ that i overclocked 3 years ago). good luck and cheers
April 5, 2006 5:56:50 PM

Quote:

I would think that would be better accomplished from the underside of the board, with a thin wire and solder.

More permenant, certainly. Better quality, without a doubt. Easier, no. Risky, somewhat, and harder to reverse since you have to take the board out of the case, etc. I have done it using a thin strand of speaker wire and it works fine, and when I wanted to remove it I just popped out the cpu, removed the jumper and I was done.
April 5, 2006 8:14:30 PM

Quote:
I have a question. Did you experience problems with the 1008 bios before the upgrade? I have been unable to successfully upgrage my bios to versions newer than 1004 and sometimes the results of he upgrade sound just like your symptoms. I'd recommend trying to roll back the bios to 1004 if possible. I run a fsb of 400 on a xp 2800+ (actually i think it's really a 2500+ that i overclocked 3 years ago). good luck and cheers

I went from bios 1001.G to 1008 in preparation for the upgrade to the XP 3000+. After going to 1008, my computer with the XP 2100+ processor worked flawlessly. I have since flashed to bios 1009 and that also works flawlessly with my XP 2100+.

Everything I read and heard indicates that a A7N8X Deluxe rev. 1.04 with bios 1008 or 1009 should run an AMD XP 3000+ 333fsb barton without ANY problem. I will get another one soon to try. I should just be able to clear CMOS and install the new processor and it should post without a problem. Everything indicates that it should post, so we'll see.

If the second XP 3000+ processor doesn't work, then I guess it either means the seller is just dumping bad processors ONLY on me (since no other buyer has complained), or there's something I'm missing on my end. But from everything I've reviewed and read on these forums . . .I'm not missing anything.
!