Cheetah/Raptor in raid 0 for new computer

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I cant stop trying to find cost effective ways to get more HD speed. heres my latest idea for my computer Ill be purchasing sometime next week.

2 Cheetah x15-36lp 18gb in raid 0
and a 40gb Barracuda for back up.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can fit a IBM SERVERAID-4L ULTRA160 SCSI controller on my MB in the tower.

OOOOORRRRR

2 74bg raptors in Raid 0 but make 4 seperate partitons seperating the 2 hard drives into 4 seperate partions, use 2 for Raid 0, use the other 2 for backup. Could I do that!? huh huh!?!?

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
2 74bg raptors in Raid 0 but make 4 seperate partitons seperating the 2 hard drives into 4 seperate partions, use 2 for Raid 0, use the other 2 for backup. Could I do that!? huh huh!?!?

I believe intel's matrix raid has something of the sort... but you would (i think) need an intel motherboard

as i understand it, one half of each HD is used in raid 0 and the other back up half back's up the other hard drives raid 0 part... i'm not sure if these different "sections" are actually partitions or hidden... anyhooo, you will end up with 74 GB of storage.... (again, i think)

haven't really used matrix raid, so i don't really know much about it... if you want to know more about it, use the ultimate research tool

RichPLS

Champion
The answer is yes.
You can do that with any RAID system, software or hardware.
Heck, you can even do that if you put 4 partitions on same drive, bad decicion there all around tho.

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
IM not too concerned with cost versus quantity.
It was said that single user performance would be better? Are you suggesting the 2 raptors in raid?
With the 2 Cheetahs I'd have something like
121mb burst and 90mb minimum. I like those numbers combined with the advantages of stripping. Storage space is not of concern at the moment. Those numbers all fit into the ~ 126mb bottleneck pci poses.

I came up with the 2 raptor with 4 partition idea as cost effective way to get raid performance and raptor performance. With 2 partitions left over for storage ie.
that would give me about 140mb burst and 106mb minimum.

2 raptors would run me 300 and less hardware since the motherboard should be able to handle the SATA situation. Each SATA channel gets 150mb, so thats sweet.
2 cheetahs and a barracuda with scsi card and 80to68 adaptors would run me about 250.
20mb more burst 16mb high minimum BUT the Cheetahs access times are lovely! 3.6ms compared to 8.1ms.
I think I have all my numbers right. IM really interested in the performance the previously described raptor set up would work like I think it would.

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
The answer is yes.
You can do that with any RAID system, software or hardware.
Heck, you can even do that if you put 4 partitions on same drive, bad decicion there all around tho.
Come on dude Im about to spend cold hard cash. I need details! :D

linux_0

Splendid
I cant stop trying to find cost effective ways to get more HD speed. heres my latest idea for my computer Ill be purchasing sometime next week.

2 Cheetah x15-36lp 18gb in raid 0
and a 40gb Barracuda for back up.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can fit a IBM SERVERAID-4L ULTRA160 SCSI controller on my MB in the tower.

OOOOORRRRR

What are your full system specs?

Does your motherboard have PCI-X?

SCSI is better but SATA is almost as good at a more reasonable price.

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

If you are limited to 32bit PCI then SCSI while still good would be bandwidth limited.

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
WUSY I like your bluntness, Anyway um I got those numbers from storagereview but they are wrong? Stop telling me I'm wrong and not telling me why or elaborating. 8O

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
2 cheetahs and a barracuda with scsi card and 80to68 adaptors would run me about 250.
I don't have my results here, but I'm fairly sure it's more liek just a little above 200MB/s. Not that it matter in actualy performance anyway.

I'm such a nasty guy, I love 'stirring up' people.[/quote]

Im gonna guess you mean 200mb/s burst performance?? Because by 250 I meant price. 250 for seagate setup, 300 for WD setup.
Im leaning towards the seagate setup, its cheaper and not too far behind performance wise AND the access time loves me

linux_0

Splendid
I don't have my results here, but I'm fairly sure it's more liek just a little above 200MB/s. Not that it matter in actualy performance anyway.

I'm such a nasty guy, I love 'stirring up' people.

Im gonna guess you mean 200mb/s burst performance?? Because by 250 I meant price. 250 for seagate setup, 300 for WD setup.
Im leaning towards the seagate setup, its cheaper and not too far behind performance wise AND the access time loves me[/quote]

What are your system specs?