Multiple System Failure

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Hello everybody im at my wits end, Im hoping maybe someone can help me / give me some direction.

Two computers in my house hold have failed, a few months ago my brothers comp stopped working, it wont even post, you hit the power button and it turns on, lights, fans etc, but bios wont post, the moniter just sits black, ive tried different, ram, videocards, moniters etc, just to be sure, but the comp just wont post, tried different hard drives, no harddrives, nothing. The comp has been sitting in a storage room since then having have given up on it and being to frustrated to mess with it again. (Id like to mention that I bought this comp new about 6 months ago and have added new ram and videocard).

Today, my comp crashed in the middle of a game and it has the same exact problem, it wont post, swapped out vid cards, harddrives unhooked everything that isnt neccesary and nothing, neither comp will post at all, they just sit at a blank screen. Also like to mention ive tried resetting the cmos via button, ive pulled the batterys, and nothing they still wont do anything once turned on.

I posted in general motherboard because im not sure where else this belongs (I apologize if this dosnt belong here, it seems like the problem is at motherboard level which is why I figured id post here). One motherboard is a asus p4c800 deluxe, the other is a k8n neo4. I can fill in any other details as neccesary.

I have a question on possibles here... 1. Could I possibley have had some virus on my network that has destroyed the computers from the motherboard level, is this even possible? The only thing these computers have in common is being on the same home network, other than that nothing, all different parts, they have nothing in common, theyve shared no parts, I have the same exact system failure with all the same problems in each computer and the only common denominator is being on the same network thats why im wondering if it could be some kind of virus.

I am posting on a 300 dollar dell from 4 years ago because thats all I have left that works, please if anyone can help me, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks looking foward to some replys.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Doesn't look good. How is the power supply to the computer from the wall socket. Been noticing any fluctuations in the rooms lights. Also, do you have an UPS (battery back up) in case of spikes, brownouts (the worst) and powerouts.

I don't know, maybe mother board. Someone else might of had this ploblem.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
No havnt had any brown outs, dimming lights, as I said I was in the middle of a game playing fine and the computer just shut off everything else was fine when i restarted it it had the same problem as the computer before it, computer is plugged into a power strip then into the wall no battery backup. Im just wondering if the problem is possibley virus, or fried motherboards?? Could it possibley be the fried batterys that arnt kicking the bios on?? Im lost in space here.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I would suspect PSU.

It's really too bad you/we don't have like a button to test the PSU if it is okay. Like a battery, to see if it still has a charge. :lol:

Try checking for burned spots.. on RAM traces, and power molex. Especially on the 20 or 24 pin.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
The little battery on the motherboard won't stop the computer booting up, just resets your bios and clock everytime. Virus, most unlikely.

Yeah PSU, motherboard or CPU(unlikely), got a good friend to change parts around with to find out what might work and doesn't work?

Computers, great when they work, major stress when they don't.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If your fans and everything is coming on then it is most likly a mobo problem, if it is a name brand computer you bought, then it most likely has a crappy mobo that isnt reliable. you might want to look into getting a new one for a good price if you know your system specs.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
another thing is that it might also be windows that is screwing up, does it go to the blue screen of death before it turns off??? ive had so many problems with windows that it isnt even remotly funny anymore.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
:!: Firstly get yourself some surge protection gear. A Belkin Surge Cube on each PC is enough, and a low cost way to protect your far more expensive computers.

:arrow: Start isolating the faults, I suggest a new PSU, one that isn't a PoS - http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html - Any of those 400 watt models will suffice fine, and likely last years, not months.

:?: What brand & model of PSU (Power Supply Unit) are those machines running now ?

:?: What mainboards and video cards are in use ?

:cry: It is quite possible that without the above in place your PSUs may have damaged both of your mainboards.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Say.. quick question on:

"Power Surge Protection"

I've heard that after a year, those things tend to wear out, and just become a reg outlet plugs.

I still use one... way back in the 90's. :lol:
The red light is still on, says it protected.

How am I to be sure, that it is still protected?

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
My comp that went down has a quality enermax unit that is not a pos, im sure the cyber power unit is a pos, this problem has nothing to do with windows because 1. neither computer never experience a bsod, and two, the comps without harddrives arnt even posting so thats a mute point, I agree on the surge protection gear, im purchasing a new comp anyway because my comp was aged and Ive been waiting for a good excuse to build a pci x sli comp so i guess here it is, I will be supplying myself with surge protection gear this time also with the big upgrade im redoing the home network with a non ghetto router and im actually going to install encryption this time, and im going to provide standard virus protection to everbody in the house, no free crap off of download. Once I get the new comp im going to start double checking the old parts and if it ends up being burnt out mobos, just replace them.

I still have a feeling these problems arnt psu related, I think its a problem at the mobo level myself but its all speculation at this point. The power supply is supplying power the comps should at least post. You have to remember to this is the same exact problem with two completley different comps, While I would consider maybe a power surge took out my brothers comp, I dont think that was the case with mine, as I had other things going off the outlet the comp was plugged into and they never experienced a problem when my comp shut down.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
What type of other things are you runnig off the wall socket? PC's are very sensitive to the power fluctutions that most other things arn't. A good quality UPS that offers both surge, power loss protection and filtration is the best to have. They cost alot, but the protection is worth the money.

I would say you're right with the motherboard being the problem.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
I have a wall socket with a power strip powering the pc, some pc speakers a lamp, nothing crazy...

Ive had a revelation, I was at work today and a friend of mine suggested I get a multi meter and test the outlets in my room (After posing the problem I was afraid to get a new comp not knowing what the problem is). So I come home and not having any right yet, I figure what the hell ill try plugging the computer in somewhere else, so I move my brothers comp (The old cyber power that broke months ago) plug it in somewhere else, and it turns right on!!! It loads up windows, and im on the internet!! I start freaking out jumping for joy, so naturally I shut it off, and install the 6800 GT Pci X card he got for christmas (I put the old ghetto card back in it when I was testing possible configurations to see what the problem is), turn it back on, and nothing wont even boot the bios, I figure ok, maybe its to much power for the outlet, so I tried a few other outlets, nothing, so I take the card out, put the other card back in and go to the origional outlet it worked in, and nothing, it still wont even post, WTF, why would it kick on and work all of a sudden, and then not work at all anywhere, Ive been carrying the thing threw the house trying all the outlets I could find and it wont post, why would it suddenly work fine like nothing was ever wrong, and then all of a sudden not work again..... *tears*

I garner two things from this... 1. The comps arnt broken, 2. Maybe the power supplys are... 3. Possibley the house electrical.

Im going to pick up a set of multi meters tomorrow and take some readings.

What pisses me off about all this is ive been using computers for years, im use to pc problems and actually became ok at solving them eliminating the possibles etc etc, getting it down to the broken part / problem. But in this situation its no a to b solution, Its not swapping in another videocard to see if the existing card is broken, when you start getting into this electrical problem area things indeed get gray. I appreciate everybodys feeback, anything to help get more ideas flowing... If anybody has any new comments according to the new breakthrew im interested.. This thread is all I got right now : :cry:

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
You stated that you booted it up with an old video card, turned it off, installed a 6800 GT, went to boot and it didn't.Put the old card back in and try again.
Check for bloated capacitors on your motherboard.............check anyway. Find a way to test those supplies too, I had one from Alienware take out a whole machine when it blew.

TRENDING THREADS