CX5200 Cartridge Error

This is all pilot error and I'm hoping for some suggestions....

The yellow cartridge was running out, so I put in a brand new
Print-Rite cartridge and the yellow would not print out. I tried
another new one and the same thing. I replaced all cartridges
with Print-Rite and the print pattern showed to be extremely
clogged. Multiple cleans did no good.

This morning I tried refilling the old Epson cartridge. I put into
the printer and even though it showed to be full (I have a chip
resetter) the yellow would not print so if was off to get a new
Epson cartridge.

Upon returning from the store, I noticed the yellow had leaked
into the printer and I was getting a 'cartridge error' on it.

I used a paper towel to soak up most of the yellow fluid and put
a brand new Epson yellow into the machine. I still get the
error. Thinking the wet ink was causing some kind of short, I
waited a few hours for it to dry. No such luck. I still get
the error.

Any suggestions other than buying a new one or sending it to be
fixed (which wouldn't be cost effective). This one is all my
fault for not sealing the cartridge good. I haven't figured out
how to get into the guts of the machine. There must be some hidden
screws or something.

I noticed the Office Despot had their own line of cartridges which
just so happened to be the exact same design as Print-Rite. Has
anyone had luck with them in a CX5200 ? I've not had much luck
in the past with Epson & refills.

TIA.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:09:13 -0500, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>or 4 nozzle cleaning job before printing anything. He did have the
>printer off when not in use as suggested by Epson so that is not the
>cause.

Most users will tell you to leave it ON when not in use.
It's in Epson's interest to recommend the opposite as there will be a nozzle
clean (=more expensive ink used, eh eh eh) on switch on.

Some of the older Epsons did not park the head fully and close the air
valve on the cleaning station without shutting it fully off.

The printer will get warmer when left on, and this may cause the inks to
be thicker over time, or the heads to dry.

It wastes some electricity and does cause wear on the electronic components.

Art