WinXP VPN Problem

Last response: in Networking
May 25, 2005 2:44:25 PM

Hello,

I have a office with a netgear router and a windows 2003 server running

a VPN server. Where I live I have another netgear router and a laptop
running windows XP and can connect to the VPN at the office no problem.

My desktop machine at home, windows xp, exact same VPN connection
settings and behind same netgear router as laptop cant connect to the
server though, it says validating username and password for a while
then says : Error 721, The remote computer did not respond.

I dont understand it at all, how can one connect but bnot the other,
the server must be working ok.

Also as a side issue, but not as important, on the laptop I can get to
any computer on the office network by ip address but only the VPN
server by name (the names of all the other computers won't resolve).

Thanks for any help as im going crazy!

More about : winxp vpn problem

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:14:37 PM

You didn't by any chance put a HOST or LMHOST file entry onthe Laptop an
not the desktop?

paulroskilly@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a office with a netgear router and a windows 2003 server running
>
> a VPN server. Where I live I have another netgear router and a laptop
> running windows XP and can connect to the VPN at the office no problem.
>

> My desktop machine at home, windows xp, exact same VPN connection
> settings and behind same netgear router as laptop cant connect to the
> server though, it says validating username and password for a while
> then says : Error 721, The remote computer did not respond.
>

> I dont understand it at all, how can one connect but bnot the other,
> the server must be working ok.
>

> Also as a side issue, but not as important, on the laptop I can get to
> any computer on the office network by ip address but only the VPN
> server by name (the names of all the other computers won't resolve).
>

> Thanks for any help as im going crazy!

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply.

No I didnt put any host or lmhost entries on the laptop, I cant think
of anything that is different between the 2.
!