kline

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Installed SP2 and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. Just
one annoying little niggle - I've switched off the Automatic Update feature
(I prefer to update manually) but I now have a red shield icon on the system
tray. Any way to get rid of it and the pop up message that accompanies it on
start-up? Looked in the Start Up list and I didn't see it there?

regards

Kline

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Security Center
and click on: "Change the way Security Center alerts me".
Uncheck "Automatic Updates" and click OK.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"kline" wrote:

| Installed SP2 and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. Just
| one annoying little niggle - I've switched off the Automatic Update feature
| (I prefer to update manually) but I now have a red shield icon on the system
| tray. Any way to get rid of it and the pop up message that accompanies it on
| start-up? Looked in the Start Up list and I didn't see it there?
|
| regards
|
| Kline

Go into Control Panel/Admin tools/services and look for Security Centre. You
can disable it from there and get rid of your red shield.
Roy Price

"kline" wrote:

| Installed SP2 and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. Just
| one annoying little niggle - I've switched off the Automatic Update
feature
| (I prefer to update manually) but I now have a red shield icon on the
system
| tray. Any way to get rid of it and the pop up message that accompanies it
on
| start-up? Looked in the Start Up list and I didn't see it there?
|
| regards
|
| Kline

kline

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Thank you both for the info. know it might seem a little anal of me but
unwanted icons in my system tray do tend to annoy me!

Kline