Sign in with
Your question

my $1600 gaming rig... advice?

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2006 9:08:46 PM

So, I'm in the market to build a new gaming rig, and I'd like to pump a bit of cash into it. I don't mind spending whatever i need to, however around $1600 is what i've decide on for now. Currently, this is the system i've decided to build. If you have any advice, other than switching to SLI... as I'm sticking with a crossfire build, please share. I'd love to know if there's anything I should reconsider before putting this much cash into it.

Specifications:

Mobo- Asus A8R-MVP (ULi M1575 Southbridge)

Processor- AMD 64 x2 4400+ 90nm

Memory- 2GB 3200 PC400 (not sure on brand)

Video- 2XATI x1800xt 512MB PCI-X (Any reason to go with another card?)

Audio- I may stick with the on-board, however i have a creative labs Audigy 4 laying around i could pop in for the Xfi.

Power Supply- Something over 550watts... possibly an Antec 620watt?

I already have a case i've moded myself; no problems with cooling.
So, any ideas on changes or perhaps additions? I want this to be the ultimate gaming rig.

It'll be quit a step up from my amd athlonxp 2000+, with a gig of 2700ddr and an ATI 9600xt, either way. lol :) 

More about : 1600 gaming rig advice

March 19, 2006 9:27:48 PM

I'd stay away from Asus, i've seen far too many fail. Check out DFI Lanparty boards, or Abit. Same goes for Antec power supplies, try Enermax, or we've had really good luck with the Xion brand 600w, really nice quality. Otherwise, looks great.
March 19, 2006 9:39:26 PM

I was initially going to go with the x1900, but was told by a friend they have overheating issues? if not, ill go with that... perhaps.

See, im able to get a discount based on where i work on the 1800s, but the 1900s are not listed yet... maybe ill wait a bit longer or something.

As for the asus board.. i am not sure im willing to change to a different board... all the crossfire boards i have seen use the other southbridge... can't recall the model... but i remember reading it has problems. My choice of mobo was for the m1575 southbridge...

I will definantly look into that Xion or Enermax powersupply though. Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming if anything else is noticed.
Related resources
March 19, 2006 9:56:58 PM

Are you insane? You spent over $1,600 US for a gaming computer.

You could have purchased a XBox 360 for half of that and had enough left over for a very nice notebook computer.

How are you going to sit on that nice public park bench and enjoy the free broadband internet access your city has to offer with that dinosaur of a desktop?

Hey, it's your doe. Enjoy your system.
March 19, 2006 9:59:36 PM

ASUS board is fine. For the RAM you can get Corsair value select 2 x 1GB dual channel for $136 @ newegg.
March 19, 2006 10:09:06 PM

Quote:

You could have purchased a XBox 360 for half of that and had enough left over for a very nice notebook computer.

How are you going to sit on that nice public park bench and enjoy the free broadband internet access your city has to offer with that dinosaur of a desktop?

Laptops suck for gaming. Xbox 360 doesn't have WoW. First person shooters suck on consoles. I for one like having a kickass gaming desktop. Of course I do have a 360 because there are some games that are better on consoles than on PC's. I spent close to $3k building my gaming system.
March 19, 2006 10:16:35 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm insane too... I'm planning to spend around the same on my next gaming rig, if not more. Laptops suck for any high-end gaming and you'll be lucky if the battery lasts a few hours while gaming.
March 19, 2006 10:21:33 PM

Quote:

Game on a laptop? heh. And... i'm a professional game designer, i don't just play games, i need to make them too. Just looking for a little discussion on the new pc is all. :) 
March 19, 2006 10:23:57 PM

Not sure when you are ordering or from where, but for the memory check out this deal. Corsair XMS Pretty cheap I think. 8O
March 19, 2006 11:53:37 PM

Actually i have heard that the x1900xt runs quite cool.As for the mem i would say go with some Corsair or OCZ both are very nice i say Corsair but both are great.And that is not alot to be spending for a gaming pc i dont know whats up with the guy i am planning on spending $3500 on my gaming pc in november.
March 19, 2006 11:53:53 PM

Wow... that is a nice price indeed. And a lifetime warranty... woot. :) 

Ok then, corsair it is... now for the power supply. Still looking into those...
Enermax, Xion... 620watts is what i've decided on. Anyone else have an opinion on power supply wattage for running two 1900s on crossfire? :) 
March 19, 2006 11:58:08 PM

620 watts will do great but you might need to read this article before going and sending the psu back once you builde your pc.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1932947,00.a...
please read if you dont already know about the issue with the sys shutting done when running sli/crossfire.
March 20, 2006 12:14:38 AM

Thanks so much Sekeru. That link for the power supply issue really clears up which power supply ill be investing in. I think the: Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT will do great. Seemed to pass all their tests just fine. :) 
March 20, 2006 12:17:11 AM

Yeah i just didnt want you getting in a mess with trying to figure out why your pc keeps shuting down when playing games.
March 20, 2006 12:28:52 AM

Well it looks like you are all set i say buy the pc parts that you have in mind now.Others might try to purswade you but you have got one extreme gaming pc on your hands.SO buy buy BUY.If you want.
March 20, 2006 1:02:57 AM

I actually just ordered the Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT...

And the Corsair memory is soon to come... i do have a bit of a newbie question though... im actually a bit embarassed to even ask but...

Why does it list the corsair that was previously linked as SDRAM as well as DDR pc 400? isnt SD the old stuff? and.. does it matter that it is supposed to be for dual channel? :/  last time i built a system none of that was an issue. heh.
!