Using Pocket PC and multiple contacts folders

October 7, 2004 8:36:49 PM

Many times in outlook you may have multiple contacts folders. However, when
using a pocket pc you have to choose which folder of contact you want/need.
I know that there are software packages that allow you to combine them (like
intellisync) but I can't understand why you would have the functionality of
multiple contacts folders in outlook but not in the pocket pc software
(which was developed long after outlook started using multiple contact
folders). What does everyone else do to get around this?

-David Silberhorn
MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CNA
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:43:38 AM

Categories. Much more useful. I defy you to resolve the issue of your
contact that is a family member, friend and business associate that works
for company XYZ. Do you file him under the folder for Family, Friends,
Business, or XYZ company? Or do you duplicate the entry? With categories you
can assign him to all those categories, and more, and retrieve his
information by filtering on any one, (or combination with some third party
programs.)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"David Silberhorn [412803]" <dsilberhorn@syscon-inc.com> wrote in message
> Many times in outlook you may have multiple contacts folders. However,
when
> using a pocket pc you have to choose which folder of contact you
want/need.
> I know that there are software packages that allow you to combine them
(like
> intellisync) but I can't understand why you would have the functionality
of
> multiple contacts folders in outlook but not in the pocket pc software
> (which was developed long after outlook started using multiple contact
> folders). What does everyone else do to get around this?
>
> -David Silberhorn
> MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CNA

October 8, 2004 4:08:02 PM

MS has a add-in for Outlook called Outlook PCS that will combine the
contacts folders into the default contact folder in your inbox.

You will have to move your main contacts folder to another location and use
the mail location only for the combined contacts.

Everytime u run Outlook PCS, it will attempt to detect the changes in the
other folders and modifying the main contacts folder.

I find it quite useful but u will hv to run it manually though.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Categories. Much more useful. I defy you to resolve the issue of your
> contact that is a family member, friend and business associate that works
> for company XYZ. Do you file him under the folder for Family, Friends,
> Business, or XYZ company? Or do you duplicate the entry? With categories
> you
> can assign him to all those categories, and more, and retrieve his
> information by filtering on any one, (or combination with some third party
> programs.)
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "David Silberhorn [412803]" <dsilberhorn@syscon-inc.com> wrote in message
>> Many times in outlook you may have multiple contacts folders. However,
> when
>> using a pocket pc you have to choose which folder of contact you
> want/need.
>> I know that there are software packages that allow you to combine them
> (like
>> intellisync) but I can't understand why you would have the functionality
> of
>> multiple contacts folders in outlook but not in the pocket pc software
>> (which was developed long after outlook started using multiple contact
>> folders). What does everyone else do to get around this?
>>
>> -David Silberhorn
>> MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CNA

October 8, 2004 7:11:03 PM

"David Silberhorn [412803]" <dsilberhorn@syscon-inc.com> wrote in message
> Many times in outlook you may have multiple contacts folders. However,
> when using a pocket pc you have to choose which folder of contact you
> want/need. I know that there are software packages that allow you to
> combine them (like intellisync) but I can't understand why you would have
> the functionality of multiple contacts folders in outlook but not in the
> pocket pc software (which was developed long after outlook started using
> multiple contact folders). What does everyone else do to get around this?
>
> -David Silberhorn
> MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CNA

Hi David,

You will need applications which allow you to sync non-default Outlook
folders like ---

* Outlook PCS Add-in for Contacts --

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/opcs.aspx

For more information about this tool --

http://members.fortunecity.com/rajpillai/OutlookPCS.htm...

* Pocket Lookout ---

http://lookout.vonken.com

* Pocket OnSchedule ---

http://www.odysseyinc.com

* Intellisync ---

http://www.sync.com/is_desktop_main.html

--
Regards,
Raj

Basically what that does though is take a contact in a subfolder and copy it
to the root, and add the folder title to your categories list and assign
that category to the contact. You wind up with every contact duplicated in
the root.

If you do this, and then delete the subfolders, you will have all your
contacts in the root but set up to be filtered by Outlook on the PC or PPC
by category. A first step in using categories instead of folders.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!