Sign in with
Your question

Building $300 system

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2006 9:38:53 PM

I am building a computer for my brother for $300 dollors max cheaper is obiviously better with this one.And yes he is a cheapskate i know.This builde includes a case and everything inside aswell as keyboard mouse and WIN XP.Any help on this would be apreciated.Oh and this comp is just for mild tasks.

More about : building 300 system

March 19, 2006 10:07:25 PM

wow this was a stupid post wasnt it i forgot about dell ok well.....yeah well dells suck.yeap stupid post sorry for shaming this forum.
Related resources
March 19, 2006 10:13:56 PM

You aren't going to build a complete system for $300 that is as good as a Dell at that price point. [/quote]
March 19, 2006 10:27:38 PM

No way that can be done, unless you like Pentium Pro's....;p. Check the FS thread (buy my computer!) for some parts, or e-bay too, but either way, look to spend about $400, and it won't last you long at all, especially with Vista coming out soon.
March 19, 2006 11:21:47 PM

paying for windows? lol
March 19, 2006 11:44:07 PM

Ok i get it stop ramming me up the butt with this one guys.And do remeber that this comp wasnt for me.My comp which i will be building in about november will have a $3500 spending limit.
March 20, 2006 12:13:55 AM

I build decent $300 systems all the time. There are undoubtedly used/ surplus computer places all over your city, you just gotta know what to look for; what's a bargain, and what's not.

I usually get slightly used 17" monitors for $25, and a pretty decent desktop running a fast Pentium 3/ slow Pentium 4 for $200 or so. Buy a copy of Windows XP Home Norton AV 2006, and you're good to go.

And yes, buy the software. Anything else is stealing, don't kid yourself.
March 20, 2006 12:28:46 AM

hmm....if I add up everything you just mentioned, I can buy a Dell with superior performance, with a warranty, for the same price, if not cheaper, and that also includes a montier, sometimes a printer if you wait for a real good deal.
March 20, 2006 12:54:57 AM

yep... dont be retarded and say dell sucks when u cant build a computer with a p3 for the price ur looking to spend. dell also includes windows xp so u dont have to do anything... and if u want a fresh install u can get a dell without xp, which will save u what 25 cents... dell includes windows xp on there systems because ultimately they save money doing so... so there u go, like the first response said, wwwl.dell.com this isnt even an arguement. ur comparing building a system with a p3, or buying a dell with a celeron or maybe a slower p4, either way it will rape any p3
March 20, 2006 9:58:43 AM

Quote:
I build decent $300 systems all the time. There are undoubtedly used/ surplus computer places all over your city, you just gotta know what to look for; what's a bargain, and what's not.

I usually get slightly used 17" monitors for $25, and a pretty decent desktop running a fast Pentium 3/ slow Pentium 4 for $200 or so. Buy a copy of Windows XP Home Norton AV 2006, and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, bill gates is going to be poor because I didn´t pay for windows...or office...I like to steal :D 

It's not hard to find a decent used computer around here in Europe. My cousin bought this:
used P4 2.6 w/ HSF+ Asus mobo- 110€
New BTC DVD - 40€
used 9600 pro AIW- 55€
used Samsung 80GB- 20€
new keyboard and optical mouse - 25€
used 17" flat crt screen - 50€
usedsome cheap 512 ddr- 30€

So, for 330€ he's got a decent computer and play some games at low resolutions. (he doesn´t care to much). I´m sure that u'll find something close to this if u have the time to search for it. And please, stay away from ebay. If you buy busted hardware, you can´t smack the guy's face...

EDIT: I gave him the case and psu
March 20, 2006 10:42:46 AM

300$!! Boy that is a tough one. I have to admit, those dell's with their Celeron D's sure look tantalizing. But I also have a few ideas.

(i) Get one of those dirt cheap systems with linux, and install XP (92$ @ newegg) You might even
have some money left over to improve it a bit.

(ii) If you can wait , dash out to the stores during menmorial day weekend. You'll get some steals,
but you have to be fast. For my first system, I got half the stuff free (albeit after a month cuz
of MIR). Cut quite a bit from my costs.

If these don't work though, the Dell is the best you will get.
March 20, 2006 11:23:47 AM

Theres no way you can build a system with $300, if you gotta spend $150 on WinXP. Get around that and you can build a pretty decent system for $300, w/out monitor, mouse and keyboard of course.
March 20, 2006 11:48:15 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah, bill gates is going to be poor because I didn´t pay for windows...or office...I like to steal :D 

It's not hard to find a decent used computer around here in Europe. My cousin bought this:
used P4 2.6 w/ HSF+ Asus mobo- 110€
New BTC DVD - 40€
used 9600 pro AIW- 55€
used Samsung 80GB- 20€
new keyboard and optical mouse - 25€
used 17" flat crt screen - 50€
usedsome cheap 512 ddr- 30€

So, for 330€ he's got a decent computer and play some games at low resolutions. (he doesn´t care to much). I´m sure that u'll find something close to this if u have the time to search for it. And please, stay away from ebay. If you buy busted hardware, you can´t smack the guy's face...

EDIT: I gave him the case and psu

You are the reason software is as expensive as it is. I hope you feel as good about yourself when someone steals your property. It has long stoped being "cool" to have a "free" version of windows. Yes I do pay for software, in the USA they have very strict punishments for that. I knew some college guys that were starting thier own local ISP. One of them used thier nice T1 to download some movies. Two weeks later they were all taken in for "questions" and are now under probation. They had all thier computer equipment taken. Even the stuff that was not even envolved in the business. So yeah its worth it to me to spend 80 bucks on windows vs have my 5000 dollars worth of computer stuff taken by the FBI.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 20, 2006 11:51:41 AM

"I am building a computer for my brother for $300 dollors max cheaper is obiviously better with this one.And yes he is a cheapskate i know.This builde includes a case and everything inside aswell as keyboard mouse and WIN XP.Any help on this would be apreciated.Oh and this comp is just for mild tasks."

$300 is unrealistic except at Dell...

WinXP alone costs $85 for us mortals, and a case/PS is $50 min, $100 for 1 gb of mem, leaving jsut $75 for a mainboard, hard drive 8and* cpu? Not doable!

does this $300 budget include having to buy a monitor as well?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 20, 2006 11:54:34 AM

"My comp which i will be building in about november will have a $3500 spending limit."

I sincerely hope that budget includes allowances for a new 30" Dell 3007 widescreen, as spending that much otherwise is truly a shame!
March 20, 2006 11:56:25 AM

Quote:
"My comp which i will be building in about november will have a $3500 spending limit."

I sincerely hope that budget includes allowances for a new 30" Dell 3007 widescreen, as spending that much otherwise is truly a shame!

I think he was trying to sound cooler so the responses would be more than "Buy a Dell".
a b B Homebuilt system
March 20, 2006 11:58:11 AM

"I usually get slightly used 17" monitors for $25, and a pretty decent desktop running a fast Pentium 3/ slow Pentium 4 for $200 or so. Buy a copy of Windows XP Home Norton AV 2006, and you're good to go.
"

The local courthouse here in Nebraska just sold off a bunch of older systems for $50 each, including monitor, WIn98, P3/800, 1 or 2 hard drives each, CD ROM x 2, 128-256 meg of ram, etc...
March 20, 2006 5:58:53 PM

Quote:

You are the reason software is as expensive as it is. I hope you feel as good about yourself when someone steals your property. It has long stoped being "cool" to have a "free" version of windows. Yes I do pay for software, in the USA they have very strict punishments for that. I knew some college guys that were starting thier own local ISP. One of them used thier nice T1 to download some movies. Two weeks later they were all taken in for "questions" and are now under probation. They had all thier computer equipment taken. Even the stuff that was not even envolved in the business. So yeah its worth it to me to spend 80 bucks on windows vs have my 5000 dollars worth of computer stuff taken by the FBI.

No, you are the reason why Bill Gates farts 100 dollar bills.
I feel sorry for those who live in USA... :twisted:
March 20, 2006 6:12:02 PM

Quote:

I have yet to understand the hatred people who live outside the US have with Intel, Microsoft and Dell. What is the deal? I see no reason you are so hateful. I may not like certain non us companies, but I am not going to steal from them just to get even. That is utter stupidity. :roll:
March 20, 2006 6:24:34 PM

Quote:

I have yet to understand the hatred people who live outside the US have with Intel, Microsoft and Dell. What is the deal? I see no reason you are so hateful. I may not like certain non us companies, but I am not going to steal from them just to get even. That is utter stupidity. :roll:

I don´t have any problem with those companies. But, yeah, I don´t really love microsoft. I really had a good laugh when I saw Billy presenting Vista and calling some features "greate new tech. achievements" when apple was using them since 1998....So, if I can get software without paying for it without doing harm....what's the problem?
March 20, 2006 6:26:37 PM

Since no one pointed this out, there's a computer for $250 at www.hp.com
only 40 gb hard drive,
but the celeron D proc. is at 2.96ghz.
for $30 more you can up to a 80 gig.
Also, they have a deal, you can get a 17" CRT with it for $50 after rebate.

So if you dont mind sending in rebates you get a decent system with 17" CRT for $300.
March 20, 2006 7:02:44 PM

Although a reply this short may come off as rude, I don't believe it should be taken that way in this instance. It IS impossible to build a complete DIY system for $300 if you're going to drop ~ $80 on an OS and then have another $100+ on a monitor. What about shipping? Then what? I guess you could get a Commodore 64 off eBay!

Even the $299 Dell system advertised on TV costs $100 (yeah right Dell!) to ship making it a $399 system... and that's without sales tax!

I'm just not sure what sort of response this poster was expecting with a budget like that.
March 20, 2006 7:21:55 PM

because u are doing harm, think of all the millions of people that are doing the exact same thing, thats deffintly raising the prices for xp home/pro, if noone pirated, i bet itd be 50 for home and 80 for pro... sigh.
March 20, 2006 7:23:53 PM

Quote:

I don´t have any problem with those companies. But, yeah, I don´t really love microsoft. I really had a good laugh when I saw Billy presenting Vista and calling some features "greate new tech. achievements" when apple was using them since 1998....So, if I can get software without paying for it without doing harm....what's the problem?

Whats the harm you ask? Its simple, the reason prices are as high as they are is because the companies have to make up loss by charging more. Theft is #1 loss to most companies, either from outside (you for example) or internal theft. So companies have to charge higher prices to make a profit. Its that simple. I would love to be able to steal software like you do, sure anyone would. But as I have said in the US they are and have been cracking down big time on that. I am sorry you do not come from a country with any real laws. Laws are what keeps the world from going to crap more than it already is. In America we respect laws because we know what happens if we do not. It might not be the greatest place to live, but overall its not as bad as some countries I have been to.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 20, 2006 7:28:17 PM

"So, if I can get software without paying for it without doing harm....what's the problem?"

You are essentially saying, " if I steal the software and pay no money to MS or it's millions of stock holders, what's the prob?"

If you don't know, not worth explaining it to your thieving ass...
March 20, 2006 8:13:14 PM

up till a week ago you coud get that deal with free shipping. It was $299 plus $24 handling +tax, so total ~350.

The HP deal undoubtedly does not include shipping, which is $100. That makes that deal $400 with moniter.

Sometimes a great alternative to the $300 Dell is a Best Buy Emachines deal. The latest one come with a 6100 igp and an honest-to-goodness pci E slot, not to mention a pretty zippy sempron 3100 and a card reader, and cdrw/dvd combo drive. The computer alone has suggested retail ~ $330, but on a great day you can get it at that price with a moniter, after about a dozen rebates of course. :wink:
March 20, 2006 8:36:59 PM

www.compusa.com, they have an entire system for 199 (sempron 3400, 256 memory, 100 gb harddrive, dvd rom cd burner) try building for that price, good luck. ill even provide a link but dont call me unlazy.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

plz stfu with the stupid fanboy shit. "oh dell sucks because... as does hp, for no reason" that is an incredable deal, xp home alone is 80, the ENTIRE system is 200, the 100gb hd is what, another 50? sempron alone is over 100, granted theres not a lot of memory, but u can get another gig and still be under 300 bux.
March 20, 2006 11:29:38 PM

Quote:
"So, if I can get software without paying for it without doing harm....what's the problem?"

You are essentially saying, " if I steal the software and pay no money to MS or it's millions of stock holders, what's the prob?"

If you don't know, not worth explaining it to your thieving ass...

Exactly.(Nice post!)
March 20, 2006 11:48:59 PM

Right now Dell has a system for $299 with $29 shipping. 2.53 Celeron D, 256MB of RAM, 80GB hard drive, CD burner, XP Home, keyboard/mouse, XP Home, 1 year warranty.

HP has a system similar except its a Sempron 3000+ and only have a 40GB hard drive for 399 with a $100 MIR. Note- the HP has firewire ports, the Dell does not. The HP will cost $100 to ship however, so the final cost is $399.

Most likely you will not beat that by doing it yourself. If you really want something that cheap, go with the Dell.
March 21, 2006 12:38:06 AM

I don't want to hurt the feelings of those who think Bill Gate$ needs more money, so I'm not telling if my copy of XP Pro is legal or not. Seriously, though; an Office CD is worth its weight in gold, if not more :) .
March 21, 2006 12:40:31 AM

agreed, although xp home may not have a ton of extras like the mac os does, and it may not be the prettiest looking, its stable as an ox for me, people who have problems with xp tend to be n00bs that mess with stuff and duno what there doing, then blame it on bill gates for rushing and cutting costs... i personally dont own ms office cause i just use wordpad :)  but we have it at school and its a very powerful program, worth the pricetag... even though i duno what it is :p 
March 21, 2006 2:52:17 AM

With $300 USD Budget this is what i can do.

AMD Sempron 3300+ Skt A 2gHz $40.00
Biostar M7NCG NVIDIA nForce2 $50.00
Case with 400W psu $30.00
Masscool CPU Cooler $3.00
PC2700 DDR $23.00
Maxtor HDD $30.00
Speakers, KB & Mouse $21.00
3.5 Floppy $3.00
CD/RW $20.00
Moniter $20.00
Win XP (New and Legal) $60.00
March 21, 2006 2:57:18 AM

ya, not too bad, but Dell still has you beat on price and quality. Your rig build has 256 megs more ram, but the Dell has a monitor. I know which one I'll go with.

I do suppose your build is a better bet for someone who wants to do more than very light gaming, as it has an AGP path. Then again, I don't think those that are really into gaming would build a rig that cheap to begin with. Not a bad buy if you just really hate oem and want to try and play their price game.
March 21, 2006 3:20:33 AM

lol, well, I wouldn't build it for myself under normal circumstances. A low end computer using new parts can be built for less.
Some Wal-Mart's have an off brand socket A system for $275.00 minus a moniter and a Compaq socket 754 system for $325.00 with a 17" CRT moniter.
If I had to go budget, an OEM system is probably the best way togo. It's really hard to do better on a budget considering they have buying power.
!