6800GT installation question

I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow morning
on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not enough
for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power cord
is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the box.
I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting the
card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to the
card is necessary???????

Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening the
case.
Thanks
Dudley
23 answers Last reply
More about 6800gt installation question

    The cord should piggy back off the power supply directly. It's better
    to draw from the power supply than the board. You don't take away from
    or strain the board.

    In article <JTPoe.16147$w21.10648@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    dhenriques@noware says...
    > Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
    > and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?

    The card needs a separate connection to the power supply, not the mobo.

    You should have an unused four pin power connector coming straight from your
    power supply not your motherboard. Just plug it into the card. If you
    don't have a free four pin power connect then use the splitter (the one that
    you mentioned that will be in the box tomorrow) that comes with your
    graphics card. Very simple.

    You mentioned that you have an Enermax power supply. They are a good
    quality maker. Before plugging in your card, look at the big label on your
    power supply. It should list a bunch of numbers: watts, amps, volts......
    If you could, post how many amps are on the +5, +3.3 and +12 volt rails.
    I'm especially interested in the +12 volt rail. 25 amps on the 12volt rail
    is recommended for your average modern system, but 34 amps is the best,
    especially if you have multiple hard drives, a 6800 series card and a Intel
    Prescott or an Athlon 64. You may find that for that card you may need a
    larger power supply than 350 watts. I guess the best way to find out if 350
    is enough is to try it and test for stability. Watts are only part of the
    factor these days. It used to be that much of your average computer relied
    on the +5 volt rail so power supply makers ensured that sufficient amps were
    dedicated to the 5 v rail. These days, high end cpu's and graphics cards
    draw more and more power from the 12v rail. There are 600 watt power
    supplies out there with only 18 amps on the 12 volt rail and that my friend
    is not enough to power even a plain jane 6800 much less a GT or an Ultra.
    If you find you do need a better supply, I highly recommend the Aspire
    ATX-AS520W. I've got one and it is awesome. Perfectly stable voltages, and
    34 amps on the 12v rail. (For about $55 you can't beat that with a stick!)
    520 watts is enough for two 6800GT's and the rest of a high end system!

    "writerz01" <writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The cord should piggy back off the power supply directly. It's better
    > to draw from the power supply than the board. You don't take away from
    > or strain the board.

    I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't really looked at the power supply
    inside the box yet and won't see it till tomorrow. I assume the supplied
    cord in the box will make the required connection from the card to the
    supply, but where on the supply does the cord attach/plug? There must be an
    attachment point, but I don't remember seeing one the last time I had the
    box open.
    Dudley

    Most power supplies have the power cables inside the computer permanently
    attached. Once you open her up you'll see what I mean. Some of the nicer
    power supplies like the OCZ Powerstream have individual detachable power
    cables that connect to little connecters on the power supply casing.

    > I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't really looked at the power supply
    > inside the box yet and won't see it till tomorrow. I assume the supplied
    > cord in the box will make the required connection from the card to the
    > supply, but where on the supply does the cord attach/plug? There must be
    > an attachment point, but I don't remember seeing one the last time I had
    > the box open.

    Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the supply?
    I assume the card has a connector, but I can't visualize where the
    connection is made on the supply inside the case.
    Thanks DH

    "Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
    > In article <JTPoe.16147$w21.10648@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > dhenriques@noware says...
    >> Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
    >> and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this
    >> connection?
    >
    > The card needs a separate connection to the power supply, not the mobo.

    "Dudley Henriques"
    > Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the supply?

    When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.

    :-)

    Dallas

    I don't have the case open, but my unit is a PEG365P-VE ATX and the book
    shows for the following;
    DC output load current load range;
    +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
    +5 volts max 32A min .3A
    +12V max 26A min 1.5A
    -5V max 1A min 0A
    -12V max 1A min 0A
    +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
    *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
    * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W

    What do you think?
    Dudley

    "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:xdQoe.7113$K66.6030@fe02.lga...
    > You should have an unused four pin power connector coming straight from
    > your power supply not your motherboard. Just plug it into the card. If
    > you don't have a free four pin power connect then use the splitter (the
    > one that you mentioned that will be in the box tomorrow) that comes with
    > your graphics card. Very simple.
    >
    > You mentioned that you have an Enermax power supply. They are a good
    > quality maker. Before plugging in your card, look at the big label on
    > your power supply. It should list a bunch of numbers: watts, amps,
    > volts...... If you could, post how many amps are on the +5, +3.3 and +12
    > volt rails. I'm especially interested in the +12 volt rail. 25 amps on
    > the 12volt rail is recommended for your average modern system, but 34 amps
    > is the best, especially if you have multiple hard drives, a 6800 series
    > card and a Intel Prescott or an Athlon 64. You may find that for that
    > card you may need a larger power supply than 350 watts. I guess the best
    > way to find out if 350 is enough is to try it and test for stability.
    > Watts are only part of the factor these days. It used to be that much of
    > your average computer relied on the +5 volt rail so power supply makers
    > ensured that sufficient amps were dedicated to the 5 v rail. These days,
    > high end cpu's and graphics cards draw more and more power from the 12v
    > rail. There are 600 watt power supplies out there with only 18 amps on
    > the 12 volt rail and that my friend is not enough to power even a plain
    > jane 6800 much less a GT or an Ultra. If you find you do need a better
    > supply, I highly recommend the Aspire ATX-AS520W. I've got one and it is
    > awesome. Perfectly stable voltages, and 34 amps on the 12v rail. (For
    > about $55 you can't beat that with a stick!) 520 watts is enough for two
    > 6800GT's and the rest of a high end system!
    >

    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow
    >> morning on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power
    >> supply on the system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the
    >> GT but not enough for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
    >> Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power
    >> cord is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in
    >> the box. I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just
    >> putting the card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power
    >> connection to the card is necessary???????
    >>
    >> Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
    >> and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this
    >> connection?
    >> I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening
    >> the case.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dudley

    Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be enough
    but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that will draw
    power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a power
    connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw that much
    power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you should have enough
    amps to run it!

    "Dudley Henriques" wrote
    > +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
    > +5 volts max 32A min .3A
    > +12V max 26A min 1.5A
    > -5V max 1A min 0A
    > -12V max 1A min 0A
    > +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
    > *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
    > * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
    >
    > What do you think?
    > Dudley

    I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
    connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
    supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
    trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to install.

    > "Dudley Henriques"
    >> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
    >> supply?
    >
    > When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
    >
    > :-)
    >

    > Dallas

    Thanks.
    Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one time;
    the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics heavy is
    FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra programs...just email
    and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do have EZAnti Virus running
    and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as such.
    "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
    > Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be enough
    > but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that will draw
    > power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a power
    > connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw that much
    > power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you should have
    > enough amps to run it!
    >

    > "Dudley Henriques" wrote
    >> +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
    >> +5 volts max 32A min .3A
    >> +12V max 26A min 1.5A
    >> -5V max 1A min 0A
    >> -12V max 1A min 0A
    >> +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
    >> *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
    >> * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >> Dudley

    How many hard drives? The larger the drive and the faster the RPMs the more
    power they draw (generally speaking)
    How many optical drives?
    How many case fans? These don't really draw a whole lot of power but some
    people have like ten 80mm fans in their systems and the little things add
    up.
    I'm assuming that you have a Prescott core cpu. They tend to draw a fair
    amount of power from a small square shaped four pin adapter that connects
    directly from the power supply to the motherboard.
    Most motherboards have two or three of the small 3 pin power connectors on
    them. You should probably have the cpu fan connected to one of the them and
    probably a chipset heatsink fan connected to yet another. Sometimes your
    case fans may be connected directly to one of these 3 pin connectors and
    that is cool as it frees up the standard 4 pin Molex connectors.
    How much ram do you have? 2 sticks of 256 or 512? a 1GB stick?
    All this stuff draws power and you can add up the power requirements of all
    this stuff and add a 10 to 20% buffer and get the total amount of power that
    you need. But that would take a lot of time and work tracking down all that
    info. But with the specs that you posted I think that you will be just
    fine!

    > Thanks.
    > Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one time;
    > the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics heavy is
    > FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra programs...just
    > email and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do have EZAnti Virus
    > running and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as such.
    > "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
    >> Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be
    >> enough but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that
    >> will draw power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a
    >> power connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw
    >> that much power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you
    >> should have enough amps to run it!
    >>

    >> "Dudley Henriques" wrote
    >>> +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
    >>> +5 volts max 32A min .3A
    >>> +12V max 26A min 1.5A
    >>> -5V max 1A min 0A
    >>> -12V max 1A min 0A
    >>> +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
    >>> *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
    >>> * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
    >>>
    >>> What do you think?
    >>> Dudley

    Just to be sure; here's the entire system;

    What I have now is a High End Hypersonic Sonic Boom gaming computer to the
    following specs. It's an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 875P Pentium4 Mobo w/Serial
    ATA Raid. The Sonic Boom is a Pentium system and is using a P4 3.0gig
    processor with an 800mhz FSB. The HDD is 80Gigs at 7200RPM. I'm using 2X
    512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM. Presently I have both the Intel cooler by Sanyo
    Denki, and Innerworks Active
    Video Cooling. The OS is XP Home.
    Dudley

    "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:nUQoe.7124$K66.5600@fe02.lga...
    > How many hard drives? The larger the drive and the faster the RPMs the
    > more power they draw (generally speaking)
    > How many optical drives?
    > How many case fans? These don't really draw a whole lot of power but some
    > people have like ten 80mm fans in their systems and the little things add
    > up.
    > I'm assuming that you have a Prescott core cpu. They tend to draw a fair
    > amount of power from a small square shaped four pin adapter that connects
    > directly from the power supply to the motherboard.
    > Most motherboards have two or three of the small 3 pin power connectors on
    > them. You should probably have the cpu fan connected to one of the them
    > and probably a chipset heatsink fan connected to yet another. Sometimes
    > your case fans may be connected directly to one of these 3 pin connectors
    > and that is cool as it frees up the standard 4 pin Molex connectors.
    > How much ram do you have? 2 sticks of 256 or 512? a 1GB stick?
    > All this stuff draws power and you can add up the power requirements of
    > all this stuff and add a 10 to 20% buffer and get the total amount of
    > power that you need. But that would take a lot of time and work tracking
    > down all that info. But with the specs that you posted I think that you
    > will be just fine!
    >

    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks.
    >> Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one
    >> time; the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics
    >> heavy is FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra
    >> programs...just email and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do
    >> have EZAnti Virus running and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as
    >> such.
    >> "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
    >>> Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be
    >>> enough but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that
    >>> will draw power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had
    >>> a power connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw
    >>> that much power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you
    >>> should have enough amps to run it!
    >>>

    >>> "Dudley Henriques" wrote

    You should be fine with your PSU

    Thanks. I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to jump in on this. I've not
    actually done much inside the case; installed a few video cards etc, but
    never really messed with anything. I realize it's not really nuclear
    science, but not knowing which connector goes where or even what each one
    looks like has it's limitations until you get caught up doing it a few
    times. :-)
    I'll post on the forum tomorrow and let you know how things are going, or
    you can back channel me if you like.
    Dudley
    Dudley Henriques
    International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired

    dhenriques(IFPF)atearthlink(IFPF)dotnet
    (take out the IFPF:-)

    "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:y2Roe.7141$K66.767@fe02.lga...
    > You should be fine with your PSU

    >I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow morning
    >on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
    >system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not enough
    >for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
    >Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power cord
    >is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the box.
    >I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting the
    >card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to the
    >card is necessary???????
    >
    >Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
    >and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
    >I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening the
    >case.
    >Thanks
    >Dudley

    Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
    cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
    thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
    5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
    AGP slot! :-)

    And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
    card in the device manager before operating surgery!

    Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
    anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
    to get your hands dirty!

    Now me ducking and running for cover...

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    >Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
    >cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
    >thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
    >5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
    >AGP slot! :-)
    >
    >And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
    >card in the device manager before operating surgery!
    >
    >Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
    >anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
    >to get your hands dirty!
    >
    >Now me ducking and running for cover...

    Answering to myself, sorry (I hate Mondays... sound of a piano
    falling)

    I forgot a *very* important recommendation: after replacing the card,
    booting windows, installing the latest drivers etc etc start FS9 once,
    close it and manually check the fs9.cfg file to parse it and make sure
    there is only *ONE* [DISPLAY DEVICE] entry corresponding to the new
    video card. If there is still the old section referring to the FX5900U
    DO delete it.

    Do not EVER leave more than one (think Highlander)

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks. I would not have known to do this.
    The card is in and running. Drivers seem ok so far. I'm going to open the
    sim and close it for the cfg check, then I'll post the results in a new
    thread.
    Sorry for being so cautious. I realize this stuff is 101. I just like to
    have all my marbles in a straight line before I jump into something I
    haven't done before.
    Sometimes it's the most simple thing that screws up the whole deal and then
    you have to go back into the case and start trying to figure out what the
    heck you did and in what order.
    :-)
    "Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > >Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
    >>cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
    >>thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
    >>5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
    >>AGP slot! :-)
    >>
    >>And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
    >>card in the device manager before operating surgery!
    >>
    >>Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
    >>anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
    >>to get your hands dirty!
    >>
    >>Now me ducking and running for cover...
    >
    > Answering to myself, sorry (I hate Mondays... sound of a piano
    > falling)
    >
    > I forgot a *very* important recommendation: after replacing the card,
    > booting windows, installing the latest drivers etc etc start FS9 once,
    > close it and manually check the fs9.cfg file to parse it and make sure
    > there is only *ONE* [DISPLAY DEVICE] entry corresponding to the new
    > video card. If there is still the old section referring to the FX5900U
    > DO delete it.
    >
    > Do not EVER leave more than one (think Highlander)
    >
    > ===
    > Best Regards
    > Katy
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > >I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow
    > >morning
    >>on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
    >>system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not
    >>enough
    >>for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
    >>Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power
    >>cord
    >>is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the
    >>box.
    >>I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting
    >>the
    >>card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to
    >>the
    >>card is necessary???????
    >>
    >>Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
    >>and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
    >>I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening
    >>the
    >>case.
    >>Thanks
    >>Dudley
    >

    > Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
    > cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
    > thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
    > 5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
    > AGP slot! :-)
    >
    > And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
    > card in the device manager before operating surgery!
    >
    > Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
    > anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
    > to get your hands dirty!
    >
    > Now me ducking and running for cover...
    >
    > ===
    > Best Regards
    > Katy

    Nah...I can't holler at you KT. I like you too much. :-)

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    there is a bunch of little wires with plastic connectors sticking out of a
    hole on the powersupply. One with a special connector (sometimes two)
    connect to other special connectors on the mother board. Others with a
    connector that, looking end on, are kinda "D" shaped connect to hard drives,
    certain fans, CD drivers and the little plastic socket on the edge of your
    video card. The "extra wire" in your video card is actually a "Y" splitter.
    Take one of the wires coming out of the power supply and hook it into the
    end (it will only go one way) and then it will magically have two ends, one
    which can hook up to a hard drive, CD ROM, fan, etc and the other will hook
    up to the card. IF you just have an extra wire with a "D" connector coming
    out of the power supply, hook that one up to the card. You don't want to
    siphon power off of a hard drive or CD-ROM if you don't have to.

    BTW... The power connector on the card is mostly, perhaps solely, to drive
    the fan that is built onto the card... NVIDIA cards run pretty hot. I'd
    leave the next slot or so down from the card empty. If you have any fans
    that don't run from the motherboard (my case is heavily modded for cooling
    and I have several extra fans) you can connect in to the wire from the power
    supply that is blowing those fans without too much risk of a problem.

    >I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
    >connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
    >supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
    >trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
    >install.
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dudley Henriques"
    >>> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
    >>> supply?
    >>
    >> When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
    >>
    >> :-)
    >>

    >> Dallas

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    there is no connector on the power supply ... the power supply simply has
    molex connectors extending for it ... you are using these currently for run
    your hard drive .. cd .. dvd ... you will use the same type connector to
    connect your Video card

    Vern

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    > I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
    > connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
    > supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
    > trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
    install.
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dudley Henriques"
    > >> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
    > >> supply?
    > >
    > > When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
    > >
    > > :-)
    > >

    > > Dallas

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks. I got it in ok .
    "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > there is no connector on the power supply ... the power supply simply has
    > molex connectors extending for it ... you are using these currently for
    > run
    > your hard drive .. cd .. dvd ... you will use the same type connector to
    > connect your Video card
    >
    > Vern
    >

    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
    >> connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
    >> supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
    >> trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
    > install.
    >> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Dudley Henriques"
    >> >
    >> > When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
    >> >
    >> > :-)
    >> >

    >> > Dallas

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Yeah, I finally found them :-) Hypersonic had the extra molex tucked way up
    inside the case out of the way. (they do good work :-)
    Got everything in ok earlier today. The card runs fine and no issues at all.
    I discovered that Hypersonic had upgraded my PSU to a 450 instead of the 350
    I thought I had, so I'm all that much better off for the 6800GT watt wise.
    As for the cooling, I have the two fan add on fans attached at the top of
    the card as well as a cooling kit from Hypersonic and the 6800 fan on the
    card itself so cooling should be ok.
    Thanks for the reply.
    "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
    > there is a bunch of little wires with plastic connectors sticking out of a
    > hole on the powersupply. One with a special connector (sometimes two)
    > connect to other special connectors on the mother board. Others with a
    > connector that, looking end on, are kinda "D" shaped connect to hard
    > drives, certain fans, CD drivers and the little plastic socket on the edge
    > of your video card. The "extra wire" in your video card is actually a "Y"
    > splitter. Take one of the wires coming out of the power supply and hook it
    > into the end (it will only go one way) and then it will magically have two
    > ends, one which can hook up to a hard drive, CD ROM, fan, etc and the
    > other will hook up to the card. IF you just have an extra wire with a "D"
    > connector coming out of the power supply, hook that one up to the card.
    > You don't want to siphon power off of a hard drive or CD-ROM if you don't
    > have to.
    >
    > BTW... The power connector on the card is mostly, perhaps solely, to
    > drive the fan that is built onto the card... NVIDIA cards run pretty hot.
    > I'd leave the next slot or so down from the card empty. If you have any
    > fans that don't run from the motherboard (my case is heavily modded for
    > cooling and I have several extra fans) you can connect in to the wire from
    > the power supply that is blowing those fans without too much risk of a
    > problem.
    >
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >>I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
    >>connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
    >>supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
    >>trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
    >>install.
    >> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dudley Henriques"
    >>>
    >>> When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
    >>>
    >>> :-)
    >>>

    >>> Dallas

Video Games