6800GT installation question

I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow morning
on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not enough
for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power cord
is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the box.
I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting the
card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to the
card is necessary???????

Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening the
case.
Thanks
Dudley

The cord should piggy back off the power supply directly. It's better
to draw from the power supply than the board. You don't take away from
or strain the board.

In article <JTPoe.16147$w21.10648@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
dhenriques@noware says...
> Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
> and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?

The card needs a separate connection to the power supply, not the mobo.

You should have an unused four pin power connector coming straight from your
power supply not your motherboard. Just plug it into the card. If you
don't have a free four pin power connect then use the splitter (the one that
you mentioned that will be in the box tomorrow) that comes with your
graphics card. Very simple.

You mentioned that you have an Enermax power supply. They are a good
quality maker. Before plugging in your card, look at the big label on your
power supply. It should list a bunch of numbers: watts, amps, volts......
If you could, post how many amps are on the +5, +3.3 and +12 volt rails.
I'm especially interested in the +12 volt rail. 25 amps on the 12volt rail
is recommended for your average modern system, but 34 amps is the best,
especially if you have multiple hard drives, a 6800 series card and a Intel
Prescott or an Athlon 64. You may find that for that card you may need a
larger power supply than 350 watts. I guess the best way to find out if 350
is enough is to try it and test for stability. Watts are only part of the
factor these days. It used to be that much of your average computer relied
on the +5 volt rail so power supply makers ensured that sufficient amps were
dedicated to the 5 v rail. These days, high end cpu's and graphics cards
draw more and more power from the 12v rail. There are 600 watt power
supplies out there with only 18 amps on the 12 volt rail and that my friend
is not enough to power even a plain jane 6800 much less a GT or an Ultra.
If you find you do need a better supply, I highly recommend the Aspire
ATX-AS520W. I've got one and it is awesome. Perfectly stable voltages, and
34 amps on the 12v rail. (For about $55 you can't beat that with a stick!)
520 watts is enough for two 6800GT's and the rest of a high end system!

"writerz01" <writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The cord should piggy back off the power supply directly. It's better
> to draw from the power supply than the board. You don't take away from
> or strain the board.

I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't really looked at the power supply
inside the box yet and won't see it till tomorrow. I assume the supplied
cord in the box will make the required connection from the card to the
supply, but where on the supply does the cord attach/plug? There must be an
attachment point, but I don't remember seeing one the last time I had the
box open.
Dudley

Most power supplies have the power cables inside the computer permanently
attached. Once you open her up you'll see what I mean. Some of the nicer
power supplies like the OCZ Powerstream have individual detachable power
cables that connect to little connecters on the power supply casing.

> I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't really looked at the power supply
> inside the box yet and won't see it till tomorrow. I assume the supplied
> cord in the box will make the required connection from the card to the
> supply, but where on the supply does the cord attach/plug? There must be
> an attachment point, but I don't remember seeing one the last time I had
> the box open.

Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the supply?
I assume the card has a connector, but I can't visualize where the
connection is made on the supply inside the case.
Thanks DH

"Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
> In article <JTPoe.16147$w21.10648@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> dhenriques@noware says...
>> Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
>> and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this
>> connection?
>
> The card needs a separate connection to the power supply, not the mobo.

dallas

"Dudley Henriques"
> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the supply?

When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.

:)

Dallas

I don't have the case open, but my unit is a PEG365P-VE ATX and the book
shows for the following;
DC output load current load range;
+3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
+5 volts max 32A min .3A
+12V max 26A min 1.5A
-5V max 1A min 0A
-12V max 1A min 0A
+5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
*Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
* Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W

What do you think?
Dudley

"a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:xdQoe.7113$K66.6030@fe02.lga...
> You should have an unused four pin power connector coming straight from
> your power supply not your motherboard. Just plug it into the card. If
> you don't have a free four pin power connect then use the splitter (the
> one that you mentioned that will be in the box tomorrow) that comes with
> your graphics card. Very simple.
>
> You mentioned that you have an Enermax power supply. They are a good
> quality maker. Before plugging in your card, look at the big label on
> your power supply. It should list a bunch of numbers: watts, amps,
> volts...... If you could, post how many amps are on the +5, +3.3 and +12
> volt rails. I'm especially interested in the +12 volt rail. 25 amps on
> the 12volt rail is recommended for your average modern system, but 34 amps
> is the best, especially if you have multiple hard drives, a 6800 series
> card and a Intel Prescott or an Athlon 64. You may find that for that
> card you may need a larger power supply than 350 watts. I guess the best
> way to find out if 350 is enough is to try it and test for stability.
> Watts are only part of the factor these days. It used to be that much of
> your average computer relied on the +5 volt rail so power supply makers
> ensured that sufficient amps were dedicated to the 5 v rail. These days,
> high end cpu's and graphics cards draw more and more power from the 12v
> rail. There are 600 watt power supplies out there with only 18 amps on
> the 12 volt rail and that my friend is not enough to power even a plain
> jane 6800 much less a GT or an Ultra. If you find you do need a better
> supply, I highly recommend the Aspire ATX-AS520W. I've got one and it is
> awesome. Perfectly stable voltages, and 34 amps on the 12v rail. (For
> about $55 you can't beat that with a stick!) 520 watts is enough for two
> 6800GT's and the rest of a high end system!
>

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow
>> morning on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power
>> supply on the system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the
>> GT but not enough for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
>> Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power
>> cord is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in
>> the box. I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just
>> putting the card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power
>> connection to the card is necessary???????
>>
>> Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
>> and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this
>> connection?
>> I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening
>> the case.
>> Thanks
>> Dudley

Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be enough
but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that will draw
power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a power
connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw that much
power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you should have enough
amps to run it!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote
> +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
> +5 volts max 32A min .3A
> +12V max 26A min 1.5A
> -5V max 1A min 0A
> -12V max 1A min 0A
> +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
> *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
> * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
>
> What do you think?
> Dudley

I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to install.

> "Dudley Henriques"
>> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
>> supply?
>
> When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
>
> :)
>

> Dallas

Thanks.
Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one time;
the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics heavy is
FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra programs...just email
and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do have EZAnti Virus running
and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as such.
"a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
> Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be enough
> but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that will draw
> power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a power
> connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw that much
> power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you should have
> enough amps to run it!
>

> "Dudley Henriques" wrote
>> +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
>> +5 volts max 32A min .3A
>> +12V max 26A min 1.5A
>> -5V max 1A min 0A
>> -12V max 1A min 0A
>> +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
>> *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
>> * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
>>
>> What do you think?
>> Dudley

How many hard drives? The larger the drive and the faster the RPMs the more
power they draw (generally speaking)
How many optical drives?
How many case fans? These don't really draw a whole lot of power but some
people have like ten 80mm fans in their systems and the little things add
up.
I'm assuming that you have a Prescott core cpu. They tend to draw a fair
amount of power from a small square shaped four pin adapter that connects
directly from the power supply to the motherboard.
Most motherboards have two or three of the small 3 pin power connectors on
them. You should probably have the cpu fan connected to one of the them and
probably a chipset heatsink fan connected to yet another. Sometimes your
case fans may be connected directly to one of these 3 pin connectors and
that is cool as it frees up the standard 4 pin Molex connectors.
How much ram do you have? 2 sticks of 256 or 512? a 1GB stick?
All this stuff draws power and you can add up the power requirements of all
this stuff and add a 10 to 20% buffer and get the total amount of power that
you need. But that would take a lot of time and work tracking down all that
info. But with the specs that you posted I think that you will be just
fine!

> Thanks.
> Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one time;
> the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics heavy is
> FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra programs...just
> email and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do have EZAnti Virus
> running and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as such.
> "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
>> Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be
>> enough but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that
>> will draw power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had a
>> power connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw
>> that much power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you
>> should have enough amps to run it!
>>

>> "Dudley Henriques" wrote
>>> +3.3 volts max 32amps min .3amps
>>> +5 volts max 32A min .3A
>>> +12V max 26A min 1.5A
>>> -5V max 1A min 0A
>>> -12V max 1A min 0A
>>> +5VSB max 2.2A min .1A
>>> *Max continous total DC output power shall not exceed 350W
>>> * Max output combined on +5 volts and + 3.3volts shall not exceeed 185W
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>> Dudley

Just to be sure; here's the entire system;

What I have now is a High End Hypersonic Sonic Boom gaming computer to the
following specs. It's an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 875P Pentium4 Mobo w/Serial
ATA Raid. The Sonic Boom is a Pentium system and is using a P4 3.0gig
processor with an 800mhz FSB. The HDD is 80Gigs at 7200RPM. I'm using 2X
512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM. Presently I have both the Intel cooler by Sanyo
Denki, and Innerworks Active
Video Cooling. The OS is XP Home.
Dudley

"a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:nUQoe.7124$K66.5600@fe02.lga...
> How many hard drives? The larger the drive and the faster the RPMs the
> more power they draw (generally speaking)
> How many optical drives?
> How many case fans? These don't really draw a whole lot of power but some
> people have like ten 80mm fans in their systems and the little things add
> up.
> I'm assuming that you have a Prescott core cpu. They tend to draw a fair
> amount of power from a small square shaped four pin adapter that connects
> directly from the power supply to the motherboard.
> Most motherboards have two or three of the small 3 pin power connectors on
> them. You should probably have the cpu fan connected to one of the them
> and probably a chipset heatsink fan connected to yet another. Sometimes
> your case fans may be connected directly to one of these 3 pin connectors
> and that is cool as it frees up the standard 4 pin Molex connectors.
> How much ram do you have? 2 sticks of 256 or 512? a 1GB stick?
> All this stuff draws power and you can add up the power requirements of
> all this stuff and add a 10 to 20% buffer and get the total amount of
> power that you need. But that would take a lot of time and work tracking
> down all that info. But with the specs that you posted I think that you
> will be just fine!
>

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> Thanks.
>> Just to give you a snap shot of what I might have running at any one
>> time; the only thing I have installed on the computer that is graphics
>> heavy is FS9. Aside from that, nothing much in the way of extra
>> programs...just email and newsgroups on OE...that sort of thing. I do
>> have EZAnti Virus running and Mailwasher, but no intensive programs as
>> such.
>> "a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:_CQoe.7121$K66.5536@fe02.lga...
>>> Sound like a good quality PSU. I would think that 26 amps would be
>>> enough but that will also depend on what else you have in your box that
>>> will draw power. I had a nVidia geForce FX 5900XT OC from BFG that had
>>> a power connecter on it to plug into the power supply and it didn't draw
>>> that much power. Your 6800 GT will draw more power but I think you
>>> should have enough amps to run it!
>>>

>>> "Dudley Henriques" wrote

Thanks. I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to jump in on this. I've not
actually done much inside the case; installed a few video cards etc, but
never really messed with anything. I realize it's not really nuclear
science, but not knowing which connector goes where or even what each one
looks like has it's limitations until you get caught up doing it a few
times. :)
I'll post on the forum tomorrow and let you know how things are going, or
you can back channel me if you like.
Dudley
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired

dhenriques(IFPF)atearthlink(IFPF)dotnet
(take out the IFPF:)

"a" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:y2Roe.7141$K66.767@fe02.lga...
> You should be fine with your PSU

>I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow morning
>on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
>system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not enough
>for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
>Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power cord
>is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the box.
>I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting the
>card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to the
>card is necessary???????
>
>Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
>and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
>I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening the
>case.
>Thanks
>Dudley

Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
AGP slot! :)

And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
card in the device manager before operating surgery!

Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
to get your hands dirty!

Now me ducking and running for cover...

===
Best Regards
Katy

>Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
>cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
>thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
>5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
>AGP slot! :)
>
>And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
>card in the device manager before operating surgery!
>
>Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
>anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
>to get your hands dirty!
>
>Now me ducking and running for cover...

Answering to myself, sorry (I hate Mondays... sound of a piano
falling)

I forgot a *very* important recommendation: after replacing the card,
booting windows, installing the latest drivers etc etc start FS9 once,
close it and manually check the fs9.cfg file to parse it and make sure
there is only *ONE* [DISPLAY DEVICE] entry corresponding to the new
video card. If there is still the old section referring to the FX5900U
DO delete it.

Do not EVER leave more than one (think Highlander)

===
Best Regards
Katy

Thanks. I would not have known to do this.
The card is in and running. Drivers seem ok so far. I'm going to open the
sim and close it for the cfg check, then I'll post the results in a new
thread.
Sorry for being so cautious. I realize this stuff is 101. I just like to
have all my marbles in a straight line before I jump into something I
haven't done before.
Sometimes it's the most simple thing that screws up the whole deal and then
you have to go back into the case and start trying to figure out what the
heck you did and in what order.
:)

> >I'm putting in an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP 256 card tomorrow
> >morning
>>on my present Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.. The present power supply on the
>>system is an Enermax 350 which I understand is ok for the GT but not
>>enough
>>for the ultra which I'm not getting anyway.
>>Question is that I keep seeing on different sites that a separate power
>>cord
>>is required to be connected to the card and that one is supplied in the
>>box.
>>I understand this card is a single Molex but I take it that just putting
>>the
>>card in the agp slot isn't enough and that an extra power connection to
>>the
>>card is necessary???????
>>
>>Where is that power cord that's supplied in the box connected to the mobo
>>and the card and do I have to do anything special to make this connection?
>>I'm just trying to picture this in my mind before I get started opening
>>the
>>case.
>>Thanks
>>Dudley
>

> Dudley! You boy stop worrying like a giddy girl and just take that PC
> cover off after unplugging the wall outlet and touching some metallic
> thingy to discharge yourself! Then you unplug the power cord from the
> 5900U and plug that molex back into the 6800 card once it is in the
> AGP slot! :)
>
> And as I said in the MS groupie remove the drivers then the current
> card in the device manager before operating surgery!
>
> Then if there is a problem come back to share some molex existential
> anxiety with us, otherwise stop reading about the card and just wait
> to get your hands dirty!
>
> Now me ducking and running for cover...
>
> ===
> Best Regards
> Katy

Nah...I can't holler at you KT. I like you too much. :)

there is a bunch of little wires with plastic connectors sticking out of a
hole on the powersupply. One with a special connector (sometimes two)
connect to other special connectors on the mother board. Others with a
connector that, looking end on, are kinda "D" shaped connect to hard drives,
certain fans, CD drivers and the little plastic socket on the edge of your
video card. The "extra wire" in your video card is actually a "Y" splitter.
Take one of the wires coming out of the power supply and hook it into the
end (it will only go one way) and then it will magically have two ends, one
which can hook up to a hard drive, CD ROM, fan, etc and the other will hook
up to the card. IF you just have an extra wire with a "D" connector coming
out of the power supply, hook that one up to the card. You don't want to
siphon power off of a hard drive or CD-ROM if you don't have to.

BTW... The power connector on the card is mostly, perhaps solely, to drive
the fan that is built onto the card... NVIDIA cards run pretty hot. I'd
leave the next slot or so down from the card empty. If you have any fans
that don't run from the motherboard (my case is heavily modded for cooling
and I have several extra fans) you can connect in to the wire from the power
supply that is blowing those fans without too much risk of a problem.

>I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
>connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
>supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
>trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
>install.
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dudley Henriques"
>>> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
>>> supply?
>>
>> When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
>>
>> :)
>>

>> Dallas

there is no connector on the power supply ... the power supply simply has
molex connectors extending for it ... you are using these currently for run
your hard drive .. cd .. dvd ... you will use the same type connector to
connect your Video card

Vern

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
> I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
> connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
> supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
> trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
install.
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dudley Henriques"
> >> Thanks Chris. Where does the darn cord attach from the card to the
> >> supply?
> >
> > When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
> >
> > :)
> >

> > Dallas

Thanks. I got it in ok .
"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> there is no connector on the power supply ... the power supply simply has
> molex connectors extending for it ... you are using these currently for
> run
> your hard drive .. cd .. dvd ... you will use the same type connector to
> connect your Video card
>
> Vern
>

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> I figured this, but I'm just trying to get a mental image of where that
>> connector is as I don't remember seeing it inside the box on the power
>> supply. I have to drive quite a distance to pick up the card, so I'm just
>> trying to get a handle of what to expect when I get it back here to
> install.
>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dudley Henriques"
>> >
>> > When you take the cover off... all shall be revealed to you.
>> >
>> > :)
>> >

>> > Dallas

Yeah, I finally found them :) Hypersonic had the extra molex tucked way up
inside the case out of the way. (they do good work :)
Got everything in ok earlier today. The card runs fine and no issues at all.
I discovered that Hypersonic had upgraded my PSU to a 450 instead of the 350
I thought I had, so I'm all that much better off for the 6800GT watt wise.
As for the cooling, I have the two fan add on fans attached at the top of
the card as well as a cooling kit from Hypersonic and the 6800 fan on the
card itself so cooling should be ok.
Thanks for the reply.